• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turkey...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not even sure what to say.

Yorkshire shoppers baffled as Morrisons charging £140 for a turkey - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

FkmtJRLXEBIdyns
There are many specialty / gourmet foods out there
selling for outrageous prices to well heeled folk.
I knew a gal who took a $3000 bottle of wine on
a blind date (not with me).
My solution to the high price of pampered free range
turkeys, extra virgin caviar, Jamon Iberico ham, Wagu
Papi Steak, pink Himalayan Salt, & saffron chicken lips?
I buy more pedestrian fare instead.
So I've no complaints about "predatory" pricing of rarified
luxury goods & services. So $9,000,000 for a Bugatti
Centodieci doesn't bother me in the least...I don't drive
French cars.

Even haggis can be food for billionaires....
https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/worlds-most-expensive-haggis-launched-aps4000-price-tag-628796

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I just put the Rib Roast into a bath of very cold water. Seasoned of course. And in a cooking safe plastic bag. It should be ready in nine hours.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There are many specialty / gourmet foods out there
selling for outrageous prices to well heeled folk.
I knew a gal who took a $3000 bottle of wine on
a blind date (not with me).
My solution to the high price of pampered free range
turkeys, extra virgin caviar, Jamon Iberico ham, Wagu
Papi Steak, pink Himalayan Salt, & saffron chicken lips?
I buy more pedestrian fare instead.
So I've no complaints about "predatory" pricing of rarified
luxury goods & services. So $9,000,000 for a Bugatti
Centodieci doesn't bother me in the least...I don't drive
French cars.

Even haggis can be food for billionaires....
https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/worlds-most-expensive-haggis-launched-aps4000-price-tag-628796
Himalayan pink salt is not that expensive. It is two to three times the price of kosher salt. So maybe Input two or three cents worth of salt on my food instead of one. There really is no difference. The only reason I bought it is because I have a set of salt and pepper grinders with glass sides. That salt is very good at being pink. And that is about it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Himalayan pink salt is not that expensive. It is two to three times the price of kosher salt. So maybe Input two or three cents worth of salt on my food instead of one. There really is no difference. The only reason I bought it is because I have a set of salt and pepper grinders with glass sides. That salt is very good at being pink. And that is about it.
Are you what people call a "foodie"?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Are you what people call a "foodie"?
I hope not. In fact a foodie would probably try to claim some special quality to pink salt. It is merely an inexpensive edible decoration. Salt is cheap.

By the way, kosher salt is exactly the same taste wise as regular salt. Its advantage is that you can see how much you put on. If one is so anal as to weigh one's salt it would take the exact same weight as regular salt. When you are eyeballing your herbs and spices it is nice to be able to see how much is being used.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm watching the Canterbury Mass :)
I'm sure that will be a lot better than ours, which is actually also livestreamed on YouTube.

(They've put the mike close to the priest, which is great to hear him and the readers but lousy for the singing, as we are in a choir loft at the other end. So what it tends to pick up is some crone in the front row rather than us and what it gets of us is mainly the higher frequencies, making my humble efforts almost inaudible.)

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm sure that will be a lot better than ours, which is actually also livestreamed on YouTube.

(They've put the mike close to the priest, which is great to hear him and the readers but lousy for the singing, as we are in a choir loft at the other end. So what it tends to pick up is some crone in the front row rather than us and what it gets of us is mainly the higher frequencies, making my humble efforts almost inaudible.)
It was very good. I'm sorry yours wasn't great re the singing :( What about the rest?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think the pink colour comes from traces of transition metal salts, (Fe, Mn, Cr), but not at levels to cause concern, given you don't eat pure salt.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It was very good. I'm sorry yours wasn't great re the singing :( What about the rest?
Oh I was fairly happy about the singing, but hesitate to recommend you listen to it on the livestream, as I don't think it does justice to what it actually sounded like. The rest was a carol service* followed by a standard Sung Mass (Missa de Angelis plainchant), using the Roman canon, with a nice friendly as always homily from Fr. Giovanni. My only criticism of him as a celebrant (apart from his sometimes wayward sense of musical pitch) is he does tend to rattle off the names of the saints. I always rather like listening to the lists of these early saints, many with strange names ...."Linus, Cletus, Clement, Sixtus, Cornelius, Cyprian, Lawrence, Chrysogonus, John and Paul, Cosmas and Damian..." and then the women get a fair crack too with Felicity, Perpetua, Agatha, Lucy, Agnes, Cecilia, Anastasia,....

There were two Romanian brothers at my son's school called Damian and Cosmas, which I thought was nice. But imagine having a son called "Chris" and explaining it was actually short for Chrysogonus!:D

* We sang A Great and Mighty Wonder, which I rather like, and Bach's O Little One Sweet, plus various carols, including Il est né le Divin Enfant for our French parishioners.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I was fairly happy about the singing, but hesitate to recommend you listen to it on the livestream, as I don't think it does justice to what it actually sounded like. The rest was a carol service* followed by a standard Sung Mass (Missa de Angelis plainchant), using the Roman canon, with a nice friendly as always homily from Fr. Giovanni. My only criticism of him as a celebrant (apart from his sometimes wayward sense of musical pitch) is he does tend to rattle off the names of the saints. I always rather like listening to the lists of these early saints, many with strange names ...."Linus, Cletus, Clement, Sixtus, Cornelius, Cyprian, Lawrence, Chrysogonus, John and Paul, Cosmas and Damian..." and then the women get a fair crack too with Felicity, Perpetua, Agatha, Lucy, Agnes, Cecilia, Anastasia,....

There were two Romanian brothers at my son's school called Damian and Cosmas, which I thought was nice. But imagine having a son called "Chris" and explaining it was actually short for Chrysogonus!:D

* We sang A Great and Mighty Wonder, which I rather like, and Bach's O Little One Sweet, plus various carols, including Il est né le Divin Enfant for our French parishioners.
That sounds overall brilliant tbh :smile:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I think the pink colour comes from traces of transition metal salts, (Fe, Mn, Cr), but not at levels to cause concern, given you don't eat pure salt.

Good lord! Are even metals transitioning these days! When will this political correctness end:D:D
(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Yes, pretty much safe to eat, and sometimes needed, metals have been identified. From the Wiki article on Himalayan Pink Salt:

"Mineral composition[edit]
Himalayan salt is a table salt. Analysis of a range of Khewra salt samples showed them to be between 96% and 99% sodium chloride, with trace presence of calcium, iron, zinc, chromium, magnesium, and sulfate, all at varying safe levels below 1%.[1][9][10][11] Some salts mined in Pakistan are not suitable for food or industrial use without purification due to impurities.[1] Some salt crystals from this region have an off-white to transparent color, while the trace minerals in some veins of salt give it a pink, reddish, or beet-red color.[12][13]"

exchemist

Veteran Member
That sounds overall brilliant tbh :smile:
Yes I went to bed content, though nervous the singing late at night might bring on a dicky ticker episode - took an extra β-blocker and got away with it, but only got about 4 hrs sleep. I'll have to catch up tonight.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Good lord! Are even metals transitioning these days! When will this political correctness end:D:D
(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Yes, pretty much safe to eat, and sometimes needed, metals have been identified. From the Wiki article on Himalayan Pink Salt:

"Mineral composition[edit]
Himalayan salt is a table salt. Analysis of a range of Khewra salt samples showed them to be between 96% and 99% sodium chloride, with trace presence of calcium, iron, zinc, chromium, magnesium, and sulfate, all at varying safe levels below 1%.[1][9][10][11] Some salts mined in Pakistan are not suitable for food or industrial use without purification due to impurities.[1] Some salt crystals from this region have an off-white to transparent color, while the trace minerals in some veins of salt give it a pink, reddish, or beet-red color.[12][13]"
Sorry just being a chemist, I'm afraid. It will be the the transition metal salts that have absorption bands in the visible.

Last edited: