• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turkey...

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not even sure what to say.

Yorkshire shoppers baffled as Morrisons charging £140 for a turkey - YorkshireLive (examinerlive.co.uk)

FkmtJRLXEBIdyns

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I thought this was going to be about the country. The story offered perspective

A spokesperson for the retailer said: "This turkey is the most premium organic product available in our offering and the price of £20 a kilo is in line with the market price. A similar sized turkey, Morrisons British large whole turkey, is available to buy for £4.99 per kg, costing around £31.44."

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member

A spokesperson for the retailer said: "This turkey is the most premium organic product available in our offering and the price of £20 a kilo is in line with the market price. A similar sized turkey, Morrisons British large whole turkey, is available to buy for £4.99 per kg, costing around £31.44."
Is it honestly reasonable to charge nearly £150 for any turkey? I don't think so. This coming during a cost of living crisis not seen since the 70s. This is a scandal. No turkey is worth nearly £150. People can't pay their electric or heating bills, let alone this amount for a dead bird.

How is this in any way defensible?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

They'll adjust the price once the turkey sits untouched for a while.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Is it honestly reasonable to charge nearly £150 for any turkey? I don't think so. This coming during a cost of living crisis not seen since the 70s. This is a scandal. No turkey is worth nearly £150. People can't pay their electric or heating bills, let alone this amount for a dead bird.

I don't understand how they thought anyone would actually be willing to pay that price.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Then don't buy that turkey...?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Individual food items can become hideously expensive, of course, particularly if it is of very good quality and very rare. For instance, maple syrup is very expensive here in Brazil.

I don't know whether that applies to this specific turkey, but it seems to me that it is only a problem (and a very big problem at that) if this situation is at all representative of British food prices in general. As long as affordable food is available, all should be ok.

Granted, to the best of my understanding food prices have been rising alarmingly pretty much everywhere. But it better not be to that degree!

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't know whether that applies to this specific turkey, but it seems to me that it is only a problem (and a very big problem at that) if this situation is at all representative of British food prices in general. As long as affordable food is available, all should be ok.

Exactly!

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Rich customers somewhere willing to pay that much maybe...?
I don't know anyone in Britain who could afford a turkey for that much. Tesco's finest is £60 and even then that's only because of other economic factors. A small regular full turkey from there is £22.50. A few years ago even that £60 would be shocking.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

The story says it was free range and allowed to grow naturally so there is extra costs in the production. Not sure if the extra quality would be worth it but I assume they are confident or they wouldn't be selling them.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
The story says it was free range and allowed to grow naturally so there is extra costs in the production. Not sure if the extra quality would be worth it but I assume they are confident or they wouldn't be selling them.
Compared to the £60 at Tesco yeah no.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Blimey! I wonder who will buy that. Especially in Yorkshire, of all places!

It almost looks like a publicity stunt, to show that Morrison's has a range of up-market stuff, or something.

It seems to me it is defensible the same way that a Bentley, or a holiday in Barbados, is defensible even if most people can't afford one. Some people pay over the odds for branded clothing, apparently no better than similar stuff without that particular brand name on it. At least this is a "bronze" turkey, which should taste nicer than a standard one, I suppose. But whether it's worth that price is a question of how much money the buyer has. Most people would say not, obviously.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Blimey! I wonder who will buy that. Especially in Yorkshire, of all places!
My thoughts exactly.

It almost looks like a publicity stunt, to show that Morrison's has a range of up-market stuff, or something.
M&S has a more expensive one I think, but I expect that from them. I don't expect it from Morrisons of all places and certainly not in God's Own County :eek:

It seems to me it is defensible the same way that a Bentley, or a holiday in Barbados, is defensible even if most people can't afford one. Some people pay over the odds for branded clothing, apparently no better than similar stuff without that particular brand name on it. At least this is a "bronze" turkey, which should taste nicer than a standard one, I suppose. But whether it's worth that price is a question of how much money the buyer has. Most people would say not, obviously.
I agree. It's a status symbol, but a very poorly thought out one during these times.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Compared to the £60 at Tesco yeah no.

I don't really know the details and I paid $15 AUD for a small turkey last night because they were trying to get rid of them before Xmas. I'd be saying no to about $300 Aussie though.