• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turbulence, Chaos, Gods

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Loki.

Typically, seen as a Trickster deity. In my own opinion, I also see him as a Chaos deity. This is because his Father is the Jötunn, Farbauti, and the Jötunn's are typically associated with the Chaotic, Destructive, and Entropic aspects of the Universe. On top of this his trickster ways constantly sows discord and strife amongst the Æsir he is counted amongst.

I wanted to preface my OP, with the stance on why I am considering Loki as a Chaos deity. Before delving in to my query.

My query is: When your life takes a severe and/or chaotic turn. Or you live a life constantly surrounded by chaos, disorder or mismanagement. Who do you turn to?

Do you turn your worship to the Deity in control of or master chaos? To help you learn to control and harness that Chaos as they do, thriving in it's presence. Or do you turn towards a Deity of Order and Balance, hoping to have the Chaos in your life managed and regulated?

See I'm thinking of turning my focus towards the Deity of Chaos as opposed to away from it.

How about you?

Edit: Removed a tag

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Loki.

Typically, seen as a Trickster deity. In my own opinion, I also see him as a Chaos deity. This is because his Father is the Jötunn, Farbauti, and the Jötunn's are typically associated with the Chaotic, Destructive, and Entropic aspects of the Universe. On top of this his trickster ways constantly sows discord and strife amongst the Æsir he is counted amongst.

I wanted to preface my OP, with the stance on why I am considering Loki as a Chaos deity. Before delving in to my query.

My query is: When your life takes a severe and/or chaotic turn. Or you live a life constantly surrounded by chaos (@JustGeorge ), disorder or mismanagement. Who do you turn to?

Do you turn your worship to the Deity in control of or master chaos? To help you learn to control and harness that Chaos as they do, thriving in it's presence. Or do you turn towards a Deity of Order and Balance, hoping to have the Chaos in your life managed and regulated?

See I'm thinking of turning my focus towards the Deity of Chaos as opposed to away from it.

How about you?
Darn. I dont know? Both sound reasonable

Audie

Veteran Member
Loki.

My query is: When your life takes a severe and/or chaotic turn. Or you live a life constantly surrounded by chaos (@JustGeorge ), disorder or mismanagement. Who do you turn to?

How about you?

I blame the Stove God for telling on me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For my experiences with Chaos Deities, I guess I never chose Ares, he chose me(long story). I thought it was unusual that a bloodthirsty God of War would seek out a mild mannered housewife, but there it was. However, I don't think I was looking at it correctly... I was in a state of frequent battle already, and at the time of his first presence, I was unaware that things were going to be getting even more warlike in the coming years. Though things weren't classically like a war, battle is battle. I was a basket case before he came along, wondering how I'd ever make sense of the mess that was my life.

With love and compassion that he's not typically recognized for, I believe Ares molded me into a warrior. Krishna, a much more balanced deity, came later. Much like the lessons in the Bhagavad Gita, if I hadn't first recognized my path as a warrior, I couldn't begin to fulfill my dharma, and to do what needed to be done. So, my experience was, first, give over to chaos, and once you've accepted that, embrace the balance that is to follow.

How are you feeling towards Loki now? Do you feel him calling to you, or is it you who is considering calling to him? @RayofLight worked with Loki for awhile; he may have some advice for beginning a relationship with him, if you feel called to do so.

VoidCat

How are you feeling towards Loki now? Do you feel him calling to you, or is it you who is considering calling to him? @RayofLight worked with Loki for awhile; he may have some advice for beginning a relationship with him, if you feel called to do so
No advice. Loki is chaos. Be prepared for anything. That's all.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
For my experiences with Chaos Deities, I guess I never chose Ares, he chose me(long story). I thought it was unusual that a bloodthirsty God of War would seek out a mild mannered housewife, but there it was. However, I don't think I was looking at it correctly... I was in a state of frequent battle already, and at the time of his first presence, I was unaware that things were going to be getting even more warlike in the coming years. Though things weren't classically like a war, battle is battle. I was a basket case before he came along, wondering how I'd ever make sense of the mess that was my life.

With love and compassion that he's not typically recognized for, I believe Ares molded me into a warrior. Krishna, a much more balanced deity, came later. Much like the lessons in the Bhagavad Gita, if I hadn't first recognized my path as a warrior, I couldn't begin to fulfill my dharma, and to do what needed to be done. So, my experience was, first, give over to chaos, and once you've accepted that, embrace the balance that is to follow.

How are you feeling towards Loki now? Do you feel him calling to you, or is it you who is considering calling to him? @RayofLight worked with Loki for awhile; he may have some advice for beginning a relationship with him, if you feel called to do so.
Thank you for your very compelling story! Even a pacifist needs warrior skills sometimes!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Loki.

My query is: When your life takes a severe and/or chaotic turn. Or you live a life constantly surrounded by chaos, disorder or mismanagement. Who do you turn to?

How about you?

I turn to myself, or really my subconscious mind. I give my problem over to my subconscious mind and let it work on it for a bit. Usually it will come up with some inspirational idea, that makes complete sense in the current situation.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I turn to myself, or really my subconscious mind. I give my problem over to my subconscious mind and let it work on it for a bit. Usually it will come up with some inspirational idea, that makes complete sense in the current situation.

I haven't managed the issues yet. Time to look higher up then me.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Thank you for your insight :).

A joke about the Germanic deities is most of them are already War/Battle deities haha. So I've never had issues in the warrior department.

Seriously though, Loki has always had a place in my top 5 or 6 Deities. But I'm thinking it's time to place him as center focus. The Allfather has felt distant as of late, and I can tell Loki has been trying to get my attention.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
It is my opinion that when a deity is trying to get your attention, its easier for you both if you just ask him/her what's up...

It's a recent realization on my part. And the chaos has kept me busy. Maybe after the Solstice I'll do some asking.

VoidCat

One other bit of advice regarding Loki. Boundaries are a must. Often he purposely tries to force you to make them if you have trouble with them already by causing so much chaos and trouble in ways he knows you won't be ok with that you have no choice but to place a boundary. He does this to teach you boundaries. He knows if you can learn to place them with a god you can place them with anyone

He usually respects them tho once you make them according to most followers of Loki...i can attest to that. Or at least he respected mine I think

But if you aren't used to making boundaries oh boy. You gonna have some rough weeks with him if he decides you need to learn that. At least that seems to be a common thing I've heard folk say...that Loki taught them how to set boundaries and he respects them once they are set but until then he's relentless trying to get you to set them.

Nothing like a chaos deity to teach you to lay boundaries.

Last edited:

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Loki.

How about you?

Neither. I don't believe in petitionary prayer or magic. I turn inwards to find the strength within me to endure the hardship. I remind myself that this, too, shall pass.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Neither. I don't believe in petitionary prayer or magic. I turn inwards to find the strength within me to endure the hardship. I remind myself that this, too, shall pass.

That sounds like prayer and magic to me. ;)

Edit: I don't "petition" the gods to directly intervene. I look up to them for lessons.

Viker

Häxan
Right off the top of my head.

I've gone to Khaos herself. The goddess chaos is named after. She is an air deity, hence capable of turbulence and discord.

There's Set.

In my own path, Corniger (the Horned God/Mystery) is capable of chaos, sorting chaos, and instilling peace and order.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
That sounds like prayer and magic to me. ;)

Edit: I don't "petition" the gods to directly intervene. I look up to them for lessons.

It's certainly a form of prayer, specifically contemplative prayer, but it isn't petitionary prayer.

It's also not magic, since it doesn't seek to change the external world through sympathy or contagion and is an entirely internal process. That would make it mysticism.