• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trying to form a working definition of my current beliefs

Would it be considered subscribing to Satanism?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
if you subscribe to the left-hand path side of Hinduism and make Shiva your supreme deity, would that be considered subscribing to Satanism? And would the focus on personal spiritual path over an orthodox understanding of the writings of the religion mean you cease to be considered a follower of Hinduism, but of Satanism?

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam
if you subscribe to the left-hand path side of Hinduism and make Shiva your supreme deity, would that be considered subscribing to Satanism?

Well to Christians anything is Satanism (whether that be Judaism and Islam, or predictably anything Pagan).

Is Shaivism actually Satanism though? no and it predates Christianity.

The LHP is great I've experimented with it myself in the past, Shaivism is the only major form of Hinduism that I really have any interest in (as it strongly correlates to Tawhid in Islam - aka which is Monism).

As FH mentions above, yes Vamachara is very much the Hind LHP. It correlates strong to the western alchemical process. Led into gold.
Vamachara deals with everything regarded as "evil" by orthodox Hindus as being consumed into the divine. In other words, turning hell into heaven. Jesus did descend into hell according to the authors of the NT. Taken as a metaphor it's the same thing.

Most religions are RHP and reach the same goal often through abstaining or significantly controlling the way they interact with the material world (best typified in sexuality itself). The LHP, Vamachara, utilizes "evil" to transcend it. Not the path for everyone but extremely effective.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Well to Christians anything is Satanism (whether that be Judaism and Islam, or predictably anything Pagan).

Is Shaivism actually Satanism though? no and it predates Christianity.

The LHP is great I've experimented with it myself in the past, Shaivism is the only major form of Hinduism that I really have any interest in (as it strongly correlates to Tawhid in Islam - aka which is Monism).

As FH mentions above, yes Vamachara is very much the Hind LHP. It correlates strong to the western alchemical process. Led into gold.
Vamachara deals with everything regarded as "evil" by orthodox Hindus as being consumed into the divine. In other words, turning hell into heaven. Jesus did descend into hell according to the authors of the NT. Taken as a metaphor it's the same thing.

Most religions are RHP and reach the same goal often through abstaining or significantly controlling the way they interact with the material world (best typified in sexuality itself). The LHP, Vamachara, utilizes "evil" to transcend it. Not the path for everyone but extremely effective.

This was a great post and I found myself nodding my head in agreement to most of it. I myself consider it not evil but darkness that is used to transcend, but that's just my own understanding.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No, Shiva is not an Abrahamic deity.

But many christians consider that if you don't worship there version of god you are a satanist.

But what does it matter anyway, according to the bible satan is responsible for far less deaths and suffering than their god.

Even when i (a full blown atheist) is accused of being a satanist i consider it a compliment compared to their own monster

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
No, Shiva is not an Abrahamic deity.

But many christians consider that if you don't worship there version of god you are a satanist.

But what does it matter anyway, according to the bible satan is responsible for far less deaths and suffering than their god.

Even when i (a full blown atheist) is accused of being a satanist i consider it a compliment compared to their own monster

I haven't decided yet what being likened to a Satanist would make me think, using it in normal conversation and chitchat. However if someone said it more like this, "You are Satan's best friend", it would kind of be like telling me: "You are a woman of influence. You are a queen. You are very down to Earth."

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
if you subscribe to the left-hand path side of Hinduism and make Shiva your supreme deity, would that be considered subscribing to Satanism? And would the focus on personal spiritual path over an orthodox understanding of the writings of the religion mean you cease to be considered a follower of Hinduism, but of Satanism?
Umm first of all, Shiva is not Satan. You’re describing Shaivism. Following that branch of Hinduism whilst being on the Left Hand path is a little unorthodox, admittedly. But I mean you do you.
Secondly Hindus are not of the book. Granted in some traditions that’s a focus, but you don’t necessarily need to be versed on the Vedas or any of the random scriptures of the Hindu Library to be Hindu. Though defying the Vedas might get you the third degree from other Hindus I guess.
And thirdly Hinduism doesn’t have a Satan equivalent. Not in the Abrahamic sense. The closest I can think of is the “demon” Kali. (Not to be confused with Kali ma, the fierce aspect of Parvati, consort of Shiva. A devotee of Kali the deity is usually found among the Shakta groups or those on the Left Hand Path. Both Western and Eastern variety.)
The demon Kali is the personification of Adharmic action. But it is a necessary force for the world. A yin to the yang, if you will.
And you know the whole “Kali Yuga” thing.
Kali (demon) - Wikipedia

I’m all for defying tradition and forging your own path. But you gotta do it properly. Know what it is you’re rebelling against

Last edited:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Umm first of all, Shiva is not Satan. You’re describing Shaivism. Following that branch of Hinduism whilst being on the Left Hand path is a little unorthodox, admittedly. But I mean you do you.
And secondly Hinduism doesn’t have a Satan equivalent. Not in the Abrahamic sense. The closest I can think of is the “demon” Kali. (Not to be confused with Kali ma, the fierce aspect of Parvati, consort of Shiva.)
The demon Kali is the personification of Adharmic action. But it is a necessary force for the world. A yin to the yang, if you will

What started this whole question was I found a Left Hand Path Shiva website and they did seem to subscribe to Hinduism, but they called themselves Satanists. The Sect of the Horned God is the name of the website or group.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
What started this whole question was I found a Left Hand Path Shiva website and they did seem to subscribe to Hinduism, but they called themselves Satanists. The Sect of the Horned God is the name of the website or group.
Well it’s not uncommon for Western Satanist groups to coopt Hinduism, to a certain degree. I find it more of a “lost in translation” issue more than anything that’s intentionally malicious or dishonest.
Like there’s the matter of using Satanism as a sort of shorthand to communicate ideas between the East/West paradigms.
For instance, I might translate “Adharmic action” as a “sin” for my Christian brethren’s benefit. But it’s not necessarily an accurate translation. Sin requires forgiveness, it is essentially a transgression against God or God’s instructions. Whilst an Adharmic action might be anything from a simple faux pas to something that hurts oneself or others or simply a manifestation of the “ego.” Something which is recognised as just not being enlightened enough at a given time. Which is, meh.
There are left hand paths in Hinduism. But they’re not usually associated with Satanism. Unless that is one’s goal

HonestJoe

Why do you need a singular label for something as deep, complex and important as your worldview and beliefs? If more people stopped lumping themselves and each other in to defined groupings but instead actually explained what they individually believe in any given circumstance, I think we'd all be much better off.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Why do you need a singular label for something as deep, complex and important as your worldview and beliefs? If more people stopped lumping themselves and each other in to defined groupings but instead actually explained what they individually believe in any given circumstance, I think we'd all be much better off.

Eh, probably so. So I'll explain...

I believe that morality comes from within. Left hand path doesn't make a person evil. People choose to be evil, most of the time. I believe that enlightenment is achieved by reaching out beyond the middle ground. But I realized as a teenager it wasn't limited to reaching out to a higher spirituality, that one could also reach out to the lower self, and might even achieve enlightenment this way. I've talked to Krishna during prayer and I think he's a funny guy, an awesome god, but not the Supreme God some people of Hindu faith see him as. I personally think Shiva is higher up, not necessarily better than the other two figures in the Trimurti but, the god I'm relating to the most on my spiritual path. I am now subscribing to a new form of worship involving what looks to be similar practices as some pagan people I have met, and I am also incorporating things like secular rock and metal music into my newer form of worship.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Well it’s not uncommon for Western Satanist groups to coopt Hinduism, to a certain degree. I find it more of a “lost in translation” issue more than anything that’s intentionally malicious or dishonest.

:thumbsup::D

@KAT-KAT I am not an expert on Hinduism and I am not a Shakti devotee, but in my view, "light" and "darkness" are the two sides of the same coin which is your consciousness. Therefore Shiva = Satan = evil is shortsighted and wrong. Being "a good girl" all the time might make people end up as a doormat. Sometimes you need to be aggressive, sometimes you need to "break free" without the goal pursued necessarly being evil.Shiva or Shakti stand for this "breaking free". At least that's what I learned and experienced from studying and occasionally worshiping Kali.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I wouldn't call The Sect of the Horned God Hindu. They arose out of LaVeyan Satanism. Their "Four Horsemen" philosophers consist of Nietzsche, Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, and Anton LaVey. They do, however, explore much of the Hindu iconography and practices, especially in the context of Paleo-Indo-European traditions.
The founders of The Sect seem to be "growing out" of Satanism, however.
(My Luciferian order has had a few member of the Sect of the Horned God join us, and our elder hierophant is quite friendly with The Sect, often producing the music for their videos.)

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
:thumbsup::D

@KAT-KAT I am not an expert on Hinduism and I am not a Shakti devotee, but in my view, "light" and "darkness" are the two sides of the same coin which is your consciousness. Therefore Shiva = Satan = evil is shortsighted and wrong. Being "a good girl" all the time might make people end up as a doormat. Sometimes you need to be aggressive, sometimes you need to "break free" without the goal pursued necessarly being evil.Shiva or Shakti stand for this "breaking free". At least that's what I learned and experienced from studying and occasionally worshiping Kali.
In all branches of Hinduism, there is the goal of “realising” the ultimate reality. This is personified, if you like, through the deities which hold primary focus in each tradition/lineage.
Shaktism and Shaktas see the ultimate reality as specifically a feminine expression. They therefore seek to connect with the inherent female energy through devotion of the various female deities. Each coming with their own traditions and scriptures. Oh and Tantra is usually not far away from such lineages.
Shaivism is a complementary path, difference being that followers see Shiva as the ultimate supreme.
It’s about realising ones own true spiritual potential through images as a sort of shorthand. A way to connect with the inner psyche. Indeed one can be atheist and still be Hindu. It’s just that when that happens, they usually see the Gods/Goddesses as tools to help guide their fellow Hindus. So are often supportive. Like @Aupmanyav
Not always, of course. But generally speaking.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@Kit-KAT, We are celebrating the nine days of winter Mother Goddess worship, we have a similar celebration in spring (though on a smaller scale). Today is the sixth day. It i dedicated to the sixth form of the Mother Goddess, Katyayani. She is a ferocious mother like Kali. Here a devotee is perhaps giving the ritual bath to the idol of the Goddess. Indian Prime Minister Modi will join the celebrations today. Like millions of Hindus, he fasts for these nine days and subsists on fruits, juice and milk.

when_is_ashtami_navami_and_dusshera_1603329090.jpg
katyayani.jpg

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No. Shiva has nothing to do with Satan. You would just be a LHP Shaivite Hindu. Now if the imagery and philosophy if Satanism has a major influence on your beliefs alongside of that, then it makes sense to say you're a Satanist as well.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is dedicated to the sixth form of the Mother Goddess, Katyayani. She is a ferocious mother like Kali. Here a devotee is perhaps giving the ritual bath to the idol of the Goddess.
Katyayani is supposed to have killed the buffalo demon - Mahishasura. Perhaps the devotee is using yogurt.

The demon idol in Mysuru, a beautiful South Indian city, whose name is supposed to be connected with Mahishasura.

images
50f69b6a86742abd1349a73c6c173094.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They do, however, explore much of the Hindu iconography and practices, especially in the context of Paleo-Indo-European traditions.
Crossfire, the worship of Mother Goddess is not connected with the Indo-Europeans. It is an strong ancient indigenous tradition. But as one of the pagan religion, I would always welcome other pagan religionists to investigate. :)

Indus Valley civilization (3300-1300 BCE), Middle Ages, 21st Century
images.jpeg
index.jpeg
hand-carved-marble-hindu-goddess-durga-250x250.jpg

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Crossfire, the worship of Mother Goddess is not connected with the Indo-Europeans. It is an strong ancient indigenous tradition. But as one of the pagan religion, I would always welcome other pagan religionists to investigate. :)

Indus Valley civilization (3300-1300 BCE), Middle Ages.
View attachment 44329 View attachment 44330
The Sect of the Horned God are not worshippers. They study the symbolism and mythology in a Jungian and Joseph Campbell manner.