• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth or Comfort?

Truth or Comfort?

• Truth

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
If it came down to it, would you rather accept what is true or something that is comfortable? For example, say that all logic and evidence points to there being no afterlife. Will you accept that this life is it (truth) or would you continue telling yourself you will go to paradise after you die (comfort)?

Skwim

Veteran Member
If it came down to it, would you rather accept what is true or something that is comfortable? For example, say that all logic and evidence points to there being no afterlife. Will you accept that this life is it (truth) or would you continue telling yourself you will go to paradise after you die (comfort)?
I've always sided with truth and logic over comfort; however, many people, vociferous creationists for example, will go to extreme lengths to maintain comfort in the face of truth and logic. The need for self deception is a sorry need indeed.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I prefer truth... if it causes me discomfort then perhaps I can do something about that discomfort - in which case I would be both less ignorant and no less comfortable. Sorta like double or nothing... a better sort of wager than Pascal's odds.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find that this is presented as an either-or quite perplexing. Seems to me those who pick an answer like "truth" are doing so because holding onto this supposed "truth" is a comfort. No human holds beliefs which cause cognitive dissonance (discomfort) for them, at least not over long periods of time. Calling their ideas "truth" is a way of resolving that discomfort with the illusion of certainty. People accept what is "true" because they find it comfortable.

chinu

chinu
If it came down to it, would you rather accept what is true or something that is comfortable?
I'll choose what is true.
For example, say that all logic and evidence points to there being no afterlife. Will you accept that this life is it (truth) or would you continue telling yourself you will go to paradise after you die (comfort)?
Even than am in need of paradise not only after death but before death, Because the life on earth is no more than a hell.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
"...and you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free."

-Jesus

Really? That's a JESUS quote? Dear gods, that quote is etched in stone at my old university's public library. :areyoucra

One of these days, this little Witch really should get to actually reading the entire Bible, because that's one of my favorite quotes ever. *laughs*

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Of course the two can coexist. But if it is a fact that life is meaningless, many will not find comfort. If there is a situation like this, truth or comfort?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Comfort can be reconciled with truth. Joy can be drawn from final death.

But there are not as many people as I think some would hope who can even function well without comfort.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

I would find comfort in truth.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Personally i think honesty is the best policy when considering such things,sometimes the truth hurts but at least if you know what the truth is you can make the best of it.