• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth is not same for everyone.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
To understand truth in cultivation of a spiritual path (religion) one see that when we begin the path we see truth one way, but when we cultivate our mind and body we can go deeper in to truth, so a novice can say, i see the truth. then a person who have attained more wisdom will come and say, No what you see is not truth, this is truth, and he explain his wisdom.

But his truth was not the highest truth. He only saw truth up to his own wisdom level.

So when we discuss, we all see truth from different levels. so you may think your answer is the correct, then someone comes and correct you. Do not get angry and think badly about what was corrected. ponder about what the other person said, and see if there was truth in his words :)
But you will find the answer within you :)

Altfish

Veteran Member
To understand truth in cultivation of a spiritual path (religion) one see that when we begin the path we see truth one way, but when we cultivate our mind and body we can go deeper in to truth, so a novice can say, i see the truth. then a person who have attained more wisdom will come and say, No what you see is not truth, this is truth, and he explain his wisdom.

But his truth was not the highest truth. He only saw truth up to his own wisdom level.

So when we discuss, we all see truth from different levels. so you may think your answer is the correct, then someone comes and correct you. Do not get angry and think badly about what was corrected. ponder about what the other person said, and see if there was truth in his words :)
In theory that can't be right.

In theory TRUTH means CORRECT
2 + 2 = 4 is correct no matter what you might argue (we are in base 10 here before anyone tells me otherwise) but in the Trump and Brexit era the phrase Alternative Truth seems to have emerged.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

2 + 2 = 4 is correct no matter what you might argue (we are in base 10 here before anyone tells me otherwise) but in the Trump and Brexit era the phrase Alternative Truth seems to have emerged.
You can have a 4 year old child who start learning math. the child do not know 2+2=4 untill someone teach it to the child :) So if the child do not know the answer, the child will give his/her understanding of the truth before learning the right answer, that answer that the child gave, will be the right answer to him/her until learning something new.

I think i have to start say each time i make a thread that every time i speak/write it is not about the physical world, everything i talk about is the spiritual way of thinking, seeing, earing,feeling :) But within the physical world, because that is where we are right now as human beings :)

Altfish

Veteran Member
You can have a 4 year old child who start learning math. the child do not know 2+2=4 untill someone teach it to the child :) So if the child do not know the answer, the child will give his/her understanding of the truth before learning the right answer, that answer that the child gave, will be the right answer to him/her until learning something new.

I think i have to start say each time i make a thread that every time i speak/write it is not about the physical world, everything i talk about is the spiritual way of thinking, seeing, earing,feeling :) But within the physical world, because that is where we are right now as human beings :)
Yes, but a 4-year old child would be unlikely to have a concept of 'truth', they would just be answering a question to the best of their ability.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, but a 4-year old child would be unlikely to have a concept of 'truth', they would just be answering a question to the best of their ability.
Exactly, that is same with adults too :) We can only answer to the wisdom/knowlede we have.
If you ask me about mathematical problems i would be like the 4 year old I would not know much.

But if you ask me about why we suffer in life i would be able to answer to my deeper wisdom because that is the topic i studied for years. But then you ask a monk who been a monk 60 years. He might have a different answer to you because his understanding of the truth is deeper then what i can see now :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Truth : that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

If spiritual/religious truth can be verified in accordance with fact or reality then you can consider it truth.

If it can't then it is not truth but belief and opinion.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Truth : that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.

If spiritual/religious truth can be verified in accordance with fact or reality then you can consider it truth.

If it can't then it is not truth but belief and opinion.
Is a Body solid or is it space between it?
The answer to that question is, if you go deep enough in to the structure of the body, you will discover that there is space between everything ,then the body does not look solid anymore. So by seeing with physical eyes we can not always see the truth as it actually is :) So is there a self in the body? It all come down to what level we look at.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Is a Body solid or is it space between it?
The answer to that question is, if you go deep enough in to the structure of the body, you will discover that there is space between everything ,then the body does not look solid anymore. So by seeing with physical eyes we can not always see the truth as it actually is :) So is there a self in the body? It all come down to what level we look at.

That is a description of belief, not truth.

Or pushing it, what you believe to be truth which is not he same as truth.

In the case you mention, consider atoms. There is much space in atoms, we are all made of atoms therefore we are all made of mostly empty space. However, we look solid so we belief we at solid.

The truth is we are made of mostly empty space.

As an aside but based on your post...

Mathematicians have calculated that if all the space were taken out of every atom in every single human being in the world you would end up with a super dense mas of protons, neutrons and electrons about the size of a sugar cube.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That is a description of belief, not truth.

Or pushing it, what you believe to be truth which is not he same as truth.

In the case you mention, consider atoms. There is much space in atoms, we are all made of atoms therefore we are all made of mostly empty space. However, we look solid so we belief we at solid.

The truth is we are made of mostly empty space.

As an aside but based on your post...

Mathematicians have calculated that if all the space were taken out of every atom in every single human being in the world you would end up with a super dense mas of protons, neutrons and electrons about the size of a sugar cube.

Strange that what i belive suddenly become truth when you say it?
You said.
"In the case you mention, consider atoms. There is much space in atoms, we are all made of atoms therefore we are all made of mostly empty space. However, we look solid so we belief we at solid."

So you see we think the body is solid( person) but we are only empty space. and you can put that anywhere you want in the entire cosmos, and you will see exactly the same thing. The so called physical world just fall apart, it is not constant, it always change. and this is what buddhism teach :)
So science and buddhism is actually very close, but the different is science believe in the physical where buddhist belive in the mental life :)

So no critique of your belief, because it it totally fine (and true) just seen from a different view then what i do.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I concur. The word 'truth' isn't accurate in speaking about the belief about religious ideas. That is a false use of the word, I think.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Strange that what i belive suddenly become truth when you say it?
You said.
"In the case you mention, consider atoms. There is much space in atoms, we are all made of atoms therefore we are all made of mostly empty space. However, we look solid so we belief we at solid."

So you see we think the body is solid( person) but we are only empty space. and you can put that anywhere you want in the entire cosmos, and you will see exactly the same thing. The so called physical world just fall apart, it is not constant, it always change. and this is what buddhism teach :)
So science and buddhism is actually very close, but the different is science believe in the physical where buddhist belive in the mental life :)

So no critique of your belief, because it it totally fine (and true) just seen from a different view then what i do.

How did the physical world just fall apart? The physical world is mostly space and still physical. Atoms are constant in that they remain a nucleus of proton, neutrons with electrons separated from the electron cloud by space.

Not my belief but scientific fact.. i.e. truth

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

OK, there is where I disagree. The answer the child gave was still wrong. The child may have believed it to be right, but that was from a position of ignorance and the answer given was, in fact, wrong.

OK, so there is no right or wrong in the spiritual world? I can accept that. That, to me, means that everything about the spiritual world is a matter of opinion and not a matter of fact.

Which is OK, there are a great many vitally important things that are matters of opinion and not of fact.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly, that is same with adults too :) We can only answer to the wisdom/knowlede we have.
If you ask me about mathematical problems i would be like the 4 year old I would not know much.

OK, but would you say that your opinions on math would be 'true to you'? Or would they simply be wrong?

But if you ask me about why we suffer in life i would be able to answer to my deeper wisdom because that is the topic i studied for years. But then you ask a monk who been a monk 60 years. He might have a different answer to you because his understanding of the truth is deeper then what i can see now :)

And where the monk's view is different from yours? Would the mink's view not be 'more correct'? In other words, closer to the truth?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
OK, there is where I disagree. The answer the child gave was still wrong. The child may have believed it to be right, but that was from a position of ignorance and the answer given was, in fact, wrong.

OK, so there is no right or wrong in the spiritual world? I can accept that. That, to me, means that everything about the spiritual world is a matter of opinion and not a matter of fact.

Which is OK, there are a great many vitally important things that are matters of opinion and not of fact.
The spiritual path is mind :) everything we need to enlighten is in the mind. We just need the key to open the mind up so we can see, and that is the enlightenment.

Science work on the physical realm/cosmos spiritual truth work within the non physical realms

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
OK, but would you say that your opinions on math would be 'true to you'? Or would they simply be wrong?

And where the monk's view is different from yours? Would the mink's view not be 'more correct'? In other words, closer to the truth?
I have no opinion of the math because i have very little knowlege about the math. meaning my understanding of the math is wrong since i do not see the truth in it.

Both me and the monk do have right, but the different is that the monk see more detail around the answer, He can give a more advanced answer then me.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no opinion of the math because i have very little knowlege about the math. meaning my understanding of the math is wrong since i do not see the truth in it.

Both me and the monk do have right, but the different is that the monk see more detail around the answer, He can give a more advanced answer then me.

Isn't a 'more advanced' answer a 'more correct' answer?