• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth: either God exists or He don't.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: . . . but who is to say your understanding is correct and my understanding is incorrect?

God says. But our different presuppositions gets in the way. Maybe the principle of Occam's razor will help us out.
God says that your understanding is correct and my understanding is incorrect?

God says that your understanding is correct and my understanding is incorrect?
Indeed God says what we should believe.
I said "But our different presuppositions gets in the way. Maybe the principle of Occam's razor will help us out."

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Make that case.
There is Existence which has no origin.

If no God exists, the the universe is an existence with no origin.

If God exists, then God is an existence with no origin.

Either way, there is an existence with no origin. But we know the universe exists, so Occam would suggest we do NOT assume the existence of a God as well.

There is regardless of whether you posit a god (or gods) or not - hence Occam supports no god(s).
You do not have the same meaning for God as do. So how does that make your argument meaningful? We have diiffernent presuppositions.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
You do not have the same meaning for God as do. So how does that make your argument meaningful?

It doesn't matter what 'god' means, it doesn't change the fact that there is "existence with no origin" regardless of whether it exists or not.

If no God exists, . . .
What is contingent on existing is never God. Your two arguments start with what I personally reject as as bad type argument.

With all "God exists" arguments start off, that exisrence exists. An effectively denies God by failing to use God's fundamentla identity - being the uncaused Existence.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What is contingent on existing is never God. Your two arguments start with what I personally reject as as bad type argument.

With all "God exists" arguments start off, that exisrence exists. An effectively denies God by failing to use God's fundamentla identity - being the uncaused Existence.

So you literally cannot think of the possibility that no God exists?

In that case, how do you know this 'uncaused Existence' has intelligence? How do you know there isn't more than one? How do you know it isn't the same as the universe?

Yes, existence exists. But that does NOT mean there is an intelligent agent that exists. And it is the intelligent agent that is called God.

Otherwise, the universe is 'existence itself' and the whole discussion is trivialized.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Then you do not use a meaningless word. I use word "God" to mean "the Existence with no origin."

Then it's an all but meaningless word, that could refer to just the bubble of space-time we are in or some sort of larger multiverse as well as its more transitional religious meanings. :shrug:

Then it's an all but meaningless word, that could refer to just the bubble of space-time we are in or some sort of larger multiverse as well as its more transitional religious meanings. :shrug:
This is nutty. Multiverse. If universe means everything it includes any kind of multiverse.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Indeed God says what we should believe.
I said "But our different presuppositions gets in the way. Maybe the principle of Occam's razor will help us out."
God says lots of things.
How would Occam's razor help us out?

Occam's razor is the principle that, of two explanations that account for all the facts, the simpler one is more likely to be correct. It is applied to a wide range of disciplines, including religion, physics, and medicine.

Occam's razor | Origin, Examples, & Facts | Britannica