• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trust and Faith in God

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Lately I have been thinking a lot about tests and difficulties, as they are referred to in my religion. I don’t know if God sends these tests to believers to test them or if they are just part of this life on earth, but I believe that God is responsible for creating this earth so God is responsible for the tests that we have to endure upon it.

It seems like as soon as one test hits and I face it and get through it I am hit by another test, so I don’t believe the tests will ever end. Sometimes I am not sure how much more I can take. Lately my faith in God has been sorely tested, although maybe it is yielding some fruits because I seem to have some insights and realizations.

I am sure there will be more stormy waters, but now that I have successfully navigated through some stormy seas, am starting to believe that that God has been guiding my ship and sending me help just when I needed it. I could write this off to luck or chance but I believe it was God’s Guidance. This is not the first time this has happened but when I am in the eye of the storm, I seem to forget the past help I received.

Mind you, I do not believe I deserve to get anything from God the way I have been questioning God’s love and goodness lately. I feel somewhat ashamed, but maybe this is God’s way of showing me that He is merciful after all, which is what my religion teaches. Maybe God helps us in spite of our lack of faith and love towards Him.

I believe that God knows what is in my heart and mind better than I can ever know of it, so I am sure God knew that I was not losing my faith, that I was just reacting emotionally, which is what I am coming to realize now that ‘some’ of the storm clouds have cleared.

I don’t believe I can make it in my life alone, without God’s help. I know I need help, and that help usually comes by way of thoughts that come into my mind and people who ‘I believe’ God puts in my life to help me.

Having faith and trust in God does not mean I am going to sit back and do nothing, because I believe in free will and that I am responsible for my own life, and I believe that my progress in life depends upon my own efforts. I am responsible to do the footwork to try to solve my own problems and then I believe I will get assistance from God.

“The incomparable Creator hath created all men from one same substance, and hath exalted their reality above the rest of His creatures. Success or failure, gain or loss, must, therefore, depend upon man’s own exertions. The more he striveth, the greater will be his progress.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 81-82

“Know thou that all men have been created in the nature made by God, the Guardian, the Self-Subsisting. Unto each one hath been prescribed a pre-ordained measure, as decreed in God’s mighty and guarded Tablets. All that which ye potentially possess can, however, be manifested only as a result of your own volition. Your own acts testify to this truth.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 149

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Maybe talking to other believers would help. I know as a non believer I'm critical of everything.
Im even critical of my critical thinking.

I know you talk to atheists a whole lot. General Religious Debates, and Interfaith Discussion draws a lot of atheists. I know I have a faith as a non believer but it don't include any gods. For me a naturalistic non personal, non living intelligence is the medium of which all life is created upon. Since intelligence comes from living sources I assume an eternal intelligence is the source of all life. I just see no evidence of anything supernatural, nor any supreme moral authority in nature thus no gods.

I'm interested to know just how God tests people. However I don't struggle with such a problem. Why are we in this world where God tests everybody? Is human nature in a fallen state according to Ba'hai teaching? Mercy would have to be the modus operandi of how God deals with God's creatures if that's so.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Maybe talking to other believers would help. I know as a non believer I'm critical of everything.
Im even critical of my critical thinking.

I know you talk to atheists a whole lot. General Religious Debates, and Interfaith Discussion draws a lot of atheists. I know I have a faith as a non believer but it don't include any gods. For me a naturalistic non personal, non living intelligence is the medium of which all life is created upon. Since intelligence comes from living sources I assume an eternal intelligence is the source of all life. I just see no evidence of anything supernatural, nor any supreme moral authority in nature thus no gods.

I'm interested to know just how God tests people. However I don't struggle with such a problem. Why are we in this world where God tests everybody? Is human nature in a fallen state according to Ba'hai teaching? Mercy would have to be the modus operandi of how God deals with God's creatures if that's so.
I believe we have to go through hardships and struggle to be able to get closer to God

osgart

I believe we have to go through hardships and struggle to be able to get closer to God

I'd be willing to do that just to know that God exists. Also some people seem to be extremely good, and they even go through hardship and struggles. No one is immune to that. I know I've been through some hardships I can't find any purposes for.

I'm like a cat chasing its tail trying to see if God does exist. Maybe I need 40 years in the desert.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'd be willing to do that just to know that God exists. Also some people seem to be extremely good, and they even go through hardship and struggles. No one is immune to that. I know I've been through some hardships I can't find any purposes for.

I'm like a cat chasing its tail trying to see if God does exist. Maybe I need 40 years in the desert.
I believe God exists, but can't prove it

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Lately I have been thinking a lot about tests and difficulties, as they are referred to in my religion. I don’t know if God sends these tests to believers to test them or if they are just part of this life on earth, but I believe that God is responsible for creating this earth so God is responsible for the tests that we have to endure upon it.

It seems like as soon as one test hits and I face it and get through it I am hit by another test, so I don’t believe the tests will ever end. Sometimes I am not sure how much more I can take. Lately my faith in God has been sorely tested, although maybe it is yielding some fruits because I seem to have some insights and realizations.

I am sure there will be more stormy waters, but now that I have successfully navigated through some stormy seas, am starting to believe that that God has been guiding my ship and sending me help just when I needed it. I could write this off to luck or chance but I believe it was God’s Guidance. This is not the first time this has happened but when I am in the eye of the storm, I seem to forget the past help I received.

Mind you, I do not believe I deserve to get anything from God the way I have been questioning God’s love and goodness lately. I feel somewhat ashamed, but maybe this is God’s way of showing me that He is merciful after all, which is what my religion teaches. Maybe God helps us in spite of our lack of faith and love towards Him.

I believe that God knows what is in my heart and mind better than I can ever know of it, so I am sure God knew that I was not losing my faith, that I was just reacting emotionally, which is what I am coming to realize now that ‘some’ of the storm clouds have cleared.

I don’t believe I can make it in my life alone, without God’s help. I know I need help, and that help usually comes by way of thoughts that come into my mind and people who ‘I believe’ God puts in my life to help me.

Having faith and trust in God does not mean I am going to sit back and do nothing, because I believe in free will and that I am responsible for my own life, and I believe that my progress in life depends upon my own efforts. I am responsible to do the footwork to try to solve my own problems and then I believe I will get assistance from God.

“The incomparable Creator hath created all men from one same substance, and hath exalted their reality above the rest of His creatures. Success or failure, gain or loss, must, therefore, depend upon man’s own exertions. The more he striveth, the greater will be his progress.”

“Know thou that all men have been created in the nature made by God, the Guardian, the Self-Subsisting. Unto each one hath been prescribed a pre-ordained measure, as decreed in God’s mighty and guarded Tablets. All that which ye potentially possess can, however, be manifested only as a result of your own volition. Your own acts testify to this truth.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 149

I'm unsure what you want us to debate? It sounds more like a statement of your personal faith.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As I said in my OP, I don’t know if God sends these tests to believers to test them or if they are just part of this life on earth, but I believe that God is responsible for creating this earth so God is responsible for the tests that we have to endure upon it.

No, Baha'is do not believe that humans are in a fallen state since we do not believe in original sin. Baha’is believe that the nature of human is basically spiritual and good. A quote that is taken from their web site is saying human nature is basically good. Baha’u’llah declared that our true identities reside in our eternal souls.

Baha’i teachings says that the sole purpose of every human soul is to have knowledge about God and to love Him. The Bahai believers do not abide in original sin in the original sin doctrine instead, they teaching and believe that each person can have the choice to use his or her the divine attributes in his or her life.

Christianity also has a teaching called “original sin”, which the Baha’i clearly rejects. Original sin happened because of the first sin of the first created one, Adam. All humans transgressed, and this sinful nature of men has been handed down through generations. The Christian Bible teaches that no human being is righteous, and that we all fall short of God’s glory.

Read more: Difference Between Bahai and Christianity | Difference Between Difference Between Bahai and Christianity | Difference Between

However, since we all do and say things that are in direct contradiction of the life God wants us to live we are all sinners, according to Baha'i beliefs.

We are all sinners, and Thou art the Forgiver of sins, the Merciful, the Compassionate.

(Abdu’l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 176)

This means God knows that we’re going to fall short so we all need God's mercy and forgiveness.
I do not really like being considered a sinner just because I am imperfect but that is the Baha'i belief. :(

osgart

As I said in my OP, I don’t know if God sends these tests to believers to test them or if they are just part of this life on earth, but I believe that God is responsible for creating this earth so God is responsible for the tests that we have to endure upon it.

No, Baha'is do not believe that humans are in a fallen state since we do not believe in original sin. Baha’is believe that the nature of human is basically spiritual and good. A quote that is taken from their web site is saying human nature is basically good. Baha’u’llah declared that our true identities reside in our eternal souls.

Baha’i teachings says that the sole purpose of every human soul is to have knowledge about God and to love Him. The Bahai believers do not abide in original sin in the original sin doctrine instead, they teaching and believe that each person can have the choice to use his or her the divine attributes in his or her life.

Christianity also has a teaching called “original sin”, which the Baha’i clearly rejects. Original sin happened because of the first sin of the first created one, Adam. All humans transgressed, and this sinful nature of men has been handed down through generations. The Christian Bible teaches that no human being is righteous, and that we all fall short of God’s glory.

Read more: Difference Between Bahai and Christianity | Difference Between Difference Between Bahai and Christianity | Difference Between

However, since we all do and say things that are in direct contradiction of the life God wants us to live we are all sinners, according to Baha'i beliefs.

We are all sinners, and Thou art the Forgiver of sins, the Merciful, the Compassionate.

(Abdu’l-Bahá, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 176)

This means God knows that we’re going to fall short so we all need God's mercy and forgiveness.
I do not really like being considered a sinner just because I am imperfect but that is the Baha'i belief. :(

Yeah I used to wrestle with the idea of sin quite frequently. The most wonderful people I've known were far from perfect, but I didn't see them as sinful. I tried to define sin as missing the mark of moral perfection. I have heard sin defined as depravity and wickedness.

Of my experiences with other humans, if I had to make a judgment about humanity I would say that we are all on a scale from dangerously good to morally imperfect right on down to sinister beings. I don't think that any human could ever achieve moral perfection on their own.

I've heard to fail in one tiny aspect of morality is to be moral reprobates. So I've heard many different ideas as to what sin is.

My conclusion is that no two people are exactly alike, that even the best of people need mercy.
I see that humans have limits because of our animal nature.

I'd like to believe that God did not intend for life to be the way it is on planet Earth, but tragedy happened, and here we are.

I've heard that the worst sin and the reason for many other sins is arrogance.

I've heard that salvation is humility before God and to realize one's ineptitude in regards to moral perfection.

I don't know what non believers are in for. To me it's very challenging to ever come to know that God exists. Right now I don't see any God existing.

It's funny though I keep looking for the possibility of God. The reason I do that is because the existence of virtues and the notion of moral perfection.

For my own sanity I accept that every human being has limits and limitations. No one approaches the level of a God, no way, far from it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Life tests us. Whether God is behind this or not. :shrug:
I feel that life is generally against me. So being alive is winning.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Life tests us. Whether God is behind this or not. :shrug:
That's true, everyone has tests, but some people have more than for others, and that is what nags at me the most.
Why is it that some people have more tests than other people? If God is just and loving that does not seem fair but at least being an atheist you do not have to grapple with that. ;)
I feel that life is generally against me. So being alive is winning.
Believe me, I feel the same way.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't know what non believers are in for. To me it's very challenging to ever come to know that God exists. Right now I don't see any God existing.

It's funny though I keep looking for the possibility of God. The reason I do that is because the existence of virtues and the notion of moral perfection.
As I have said to you before, I am sure God knows you are a sincere seeker of Truth.
I don't believe you are in for anything except God's mercy.

If you keep searching I think you will come to know that God exists.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
What good is a test if you can't see how you scored?
I think with religions like Christianity and the Baha'i Faith it is a pass or fail with each test. Give in to a temptation and the person fails. Keeps their eyes on God and follows the commands and laws, they pass. But then they get tested again and again. I'd imagine the failure rate is pretty high and that at some point even the strongest believer fails at something.