• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump's tax forms revealed.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The linked article doesn't have the actual tax filings. I've
looked around the internet, but haven't been able to find
them. Many articles opine them, but don't publish them.
I've noticed some strange things, eg, claims about valuation
of real estate. Such things wouldn't appear on any income
tax form I've ever seen, so I wonder just what's being referred
to. Some Schedule E & K-1 forms would be useful.
That's the hook. Its all allegations but no real evidence. Maybe Trump is right. Its fake news.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Evidently President Trump paid only $1500 in personal federal taxes over two years and none in the 10 years before that.

And, as opposed to being an astute businessman. Instead of making $435 million dollars, we LOST $47 million.

He has been running his companies into the ground. He is running the country into the ground. And he wants the taxpayers to pay *his* debts.

Anyone who has been watching has known he is a con man, pure and simple. Maybe, just maybe, some of his supporters will realize this finally.

Trump’s Taxes Show Chronic Losses and Years of Income Tax Avoidance
It seems that people don't understand how debt & investments
work. The existence of debt itself is normal. Problems arise
when the debt to value ratio is high (ie, low equity) or when
cash flow doesn't cover debt service. Note also that cash flow
doesn't equate to income on the tax return.
Dan Alexander's recent analysis (highly critical of Trump, btw)
shows that Trump is still a billionaire, so his debt load doesn't
look out of line. Also, it's conventional that commercial debt
is renewed every several years, ie, it comes due. Such loans,
if not in default are typically renewed.
I carry a fair amount of debt, but these days I manage it very
conservatively compared to years past. Borrowed money
makes me money.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There's no actual evidence being produced.

For now its in purgatory, that grey area between fake and real.
Just so we're clear: you agree that the allegations would be damning if true, but you don't see reason yet to accept them as true?

The New York Times has promised to release documents as part of a series of articles over the next two weeks. If they do back up their allegations, what will you be saying about Trump two weeks from now?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just so we're clear: you agree that the allegations would be damning if true, but you don't see reason yet to accept them as true?

The New York Times has promised to release documents as part of a series of articles over the next two weeks. If they do back up their allegations, what will you be saying about Trump two weeks from now?
The conversation you're joining started with my wanting to see
the actual tax returns. Journalists offering their opinions without
showing any analysis raises doubts.
If we're not privy to the original documents, I'd at least like to see
analysis by someone familiar with taxation of investments. A CPA
or tax attorney who's in the business would have more insight.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Evidently President Trump paid only $1500 in personal federal taxes over two years and none in the 10 years before that.
Any surprise?

It was obvious from the get-go when he refused to release his tax returns after promising he would do so prior to the election that he must have something(s) to hide. All the lies he told during the 2016 campaign clearly showed that he's a man who simply cannot be trusted. His history as being a "con man" as east-coasters have long known him by should have been more than an ample warning.

metis

Beware of some here who just love slipping into "false equivalencies" when confronted by reality.

BTW, if I heard it right last night, Trump apparently had written off something like $40,000 in deductions for his hair in one year alone, although I stand to be corrected on the exact amount. This really burns me up since I am folllcally-challenged. :mad:

metis

BTW, with all this deduction's mess, what are we to expect when we keep electing millionaires and billionaires to office? In some countries, the corporate/business rate is a flat-tax, no deductions, and I have long felt that we should do the same, but not only at that level but also at the personal level. If low income, that can be made up in another way, such as what's called a "negative-income tax", the brainchild of conservative economist Milton Friedman.

suncowiam

The conversation you're joining started with my wanting to see
the actual tax returns. Journalists offering their opinions without
showing any analysis raises doubts.
If we're not privy to the original documents, I'd at least like to see
analysis by someone familiar with taxation of investments. A CPA
or tax attorney who's in the business would have more insight.

Too bad Trump didn't simply release his taxes to us in the beginning.

Yet, you place the emphasis on other people to do this and to do it objectively...

Trump lied about releasing his taxes also. And keep in mind, this is coming from the self-quoted "most transparent president" ever.

If he wanted to prove how successful of a business person he was, he could have done that in the very beginning by releasing his taxes.

He can still do it now.

Twilight Hue

Well, innocent until proven guilty although some seemingly prefer the guilty until proven innocent route.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well, innocent until proven guilty although some seemingly prefer the guilty until proven innocent route.
Are you allergic to straight answers?

Are you saying that if the NYT's documents wind up saying what they say they do, that Trump will have been proven guilty?

joe1776

A single adult without kids making $18,000 would have paid more taxes in 2017 than billionaire Trump.:(

Twilight Hue

A single adult without kids making $18,000 would have paid more taxes in 2017 than billionaire Trump.:(
At least Trump paid more than a fair number of fortune 500 corporations did.

That said, a single childless adult making 18,000 dollars did as well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too bad Trump didn't simply release his taxes to us in the beginning.

Yet, you place the emphasis on other people to do this and to do it objectively...

Trump lied about releasing his taxes also. And keep in mind, this is coming from the self-quoted "most transparent president" ever.

If he wanted to prove how successful of a business person he was, he could have done that in the very beginning by releasing his taxes.

He can still do it now.
He says many things.
They don't always relate to what he actually does.