• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump's Presidency: How It's Likely to End

joe1776

Although completely opposed to his politics, I've been reading the columns of George Will in the Washington Post for many years because he articulates his conservative opinions intelligently.

Back in 2016, Will surprised me by opposing the nomination of Trump. He saw the same flaws in the man that I did. It was the first time in many years that we had agreed on anything. Now, four years later, we agree again on the way the Trump presidency is likely to end.

Trump is “a practitioner of crybaby conservatism,” Will wrote in the column published Wednesday. “His presidency that began with a wallow in self-pity probably will end in ignominy when he slinks away pouting, trailing clouds of recriminations, without a trace of John McCain’s graciousness on election night 2008.”

He added that the Republican Party had “eagerly surrendered its self-respect” in the Trump era, “having hitched its wagon to a plummeting cinder” it “is about to have a rendezvous with a surly electorate wielding a truncheon.”

Will also wrote that Joe Biden, whom Will endorsed in July, could “become the first candidate in 32 years to capture more than 400 electoral votes.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4eee30-130a-11eb-ad6f-36c93e6e94fb_story.html

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Blah blah blah. He was wrong in 2016 and there's a good chance he'll be wrong now. I have no idea why people are ignoring the reality of the situation and still take things like polls seriously when we know they don't mean anything. Every option theyve tried to remove him from office has failed, including impeachment. Everyone thought Hilary would bury Trump in a landslide but even the popular vote count was pretty close. If Trump wins again, which is very possible, the screeching from enraged liberals will be legendary but I don't know why they don't anticipate such a possibility. Must be their egos.

joe1776

Blah blah blah. He was wrong in 2016 and there's a good chance he'll be wrong now. I have no idea why people are ignoring the reality of the situation and still take things like polls seriously when we know they don't mean anything. Every option theyve tried to remove him from office has failed, including impeachment. Everyone thought Hilary would bury Trump in a landslide but even the popular vote count was pretty close. If Trump wins again, which is very possible, the screeching from enraged liberals will be legendary but I don't know why they don't anticipate such a possibility. Must be their egos.
In other words, you disagree?:D

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Will also wrote that Joe Biden, whom Will endorsed in July, could “become the first candidate in 32 years to capture more than 400 electoral votes.”

this statement alone brings suspect to his conclusions.

joe1776

Obviously. Trump could lose, of course, but I don't think it's as some slam dunk. I'm just looking at what has actually happened.
We are both looking at what actually happened. One of us is seeing the evidence clearly and the other isn't.

I think 2016 was about Establishment (Hilary) and Disestablishment (Trump). The electorate wanted a change. Voters didn't reckon that things could get worse.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4eee30-130a-11eb-ad6f-36c93e6e94fb_story.html
Specifically, he wrote:

"It is not yet probable, but is not highly improbable, that Joe Biden can become the first candidate in 32 years to capture more than 400 electoral votes (George H.W. Bush, 426 in 1988)."​

That is a not yet optimistic but not highly depressing prospect. I like Will in large part because he is an ethical and intelligent conservative whose prose is usually less tortured.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
When someone speaks the truth to you, you suspect you're being manipulated?

I don't understand the correlation between conservative political opinions and paranoia. However, it seems to exist.:)
Okay, now you're just being rude and insulting. Two can play at that game.

I don't understand the correlation between liberal political opinions and extreme arrogance. However, it seems to exist. :)

joe1776

Okay, now you're just being rude and insulting. Two can play at that game.

I don't understand the correlation between liberal political opinions and extreme arrogance. However, it seems to exist. :)
Well, while we disagree, I'd like you to know that I would defend to my death your right to be mistaken.:p

joe1776

Your retort sounds like something one would hear in a preschool playground.

One kid tells another: "You're a poopy pants"

The best the second kid can come up with is to respond in kind: "No, you're a poopy pants".

I guess that's the best some four-year-olds can do.
You took that exchange seriously? I can't speak for my opponent, but I was just having fun. The smiley faces were'nt a clue?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyone thought Hilary would bury Trump in a landslide but even the popular vote count was pretty close.
I posted otherwise in 2016, based upon a survey of yard signs
as I drove around the midwest & east coast. The overwhelmingly
greater number of Trump signs suggested that the polls weren't
reliable. I didn't predict a winner, but I did see that a landslide
was unlikely.
Today it's different. My travels have been more limited, but Trump
has a record now, with increasingly hostile media coverage of it &
his personal misbehavior. I predict that swing voters will give the
victory to Biden.

exchemist

Veteran Member
According to what I read in the NY Times, liberal opinion is all too aware of the risk that Trump could still manufacture a win.

What will lead to objections is if Trump and the Republican party engineer a narrow win, in a closely fought result in which their tactics of vote suppression, intimidation and misinformation could have been enough to make the difference. If that happens we will never hear the end of it and trust in US democracy will be undermined for a generation. For the sake of the Union, all Americans should pray for an unambiguous result.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I posted otherwise in 2016, based upon a survey of yard signs
as I drove around the midwest & east coast. The overwhelmingly
greater number of Trump signs suggested that the polls weren't
reliable. I didn't predict a winner, but I did see that a landslide
was unlikely.
Today it's different. My travels have been more limited, but Trump
has a record now, with increasingly hostile media coverage of it &
his personal misbehavior. I predict that swing voters will give the
victory to Biden.
Interesting. I can't judge by yard signs since my area is heavily Democratic, regardless.