• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump's Disregard for the Rule of Law-- Again

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
From Feb 2017 until Feb 2019, Trump/Republicans had complete control of all three branches of Government. Why were they "unwilling to change our very dangerous immigration laws"?

The Republicans have never had real control of the Senate, because there we've lacked a filibuster proof majority of 60 G.O.P. Senators in order to block the obstructionists Democratic Party who are against keeping out illegal immigrants; of course, Democrats are against keeping out illegal immigrants whose offspring will become indoctrinated Democratic voters.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
eg.
End Farm subsidies $27.8 Billion in 2017 savings.

I sense a little hypocrisy. Perhaps I'm wrong. Please show those Freedom Caucus Republicans who have actually voted to eliminate or reduce farm subsidies.

When Trump put in tariffs against China he also set up a $12 billion slush fund for farmers.
Feb. 22, 2019, 10:40 AM EST
By Lucy Bayly

The Department of Agriculture has paid out $7.7 billion so far to help farmers impacted by the ongoing tariff war with China, according to William Northey, Undersecretary for Farm Production and Conservation.

The funds represent a portion of the $12 billion relief package that President Donald Trump pledged in July to offset the losses from retaliatory tariffs imposed by Beijing in response to Washington's tariffs on Chinese goods.
Please show those Freedom Caucus Republicans who have spoken out against these subsidies.

The 12 billion dollar economic aid package for farmers who've suffered temporary economic losses from the China-U.S. trade war come from a depression-era program, the Commodity Credit Corporation; so then, this agricultural economic assistance money comes from the U.S. Treasury. Therefore, Congressional approval is unnecessary for the appropriation of these funds.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I like President Trump's idea of shipping undocumented migrants from the border to sanctuary cities where they ought to be very welcomed with open arms...oh wait...the mayors of these sanctuary cities are against this idea, since Donald J. Trump has given consideration to this idea ..
There's a name for that if it's done against their will and it's called "human trafficing".

ecco

Veteran Member
The Republicans have never had real control of the Senate, because there we've lacked a filibuster proof majority of 60 G.O.P. Senators in order to block the obstructionists Democratic Party who are against keeping out illegal immigrants; of course, Democrats are against keeping out illegal immigrants whose offspring will become indoctrinated Democratic voters.
Democrats, with the help of Republicans, passed ACA. There was much more opposition to ACA then there is to Immigration Reform.

The cop-out of "Oh gee, we don't have a filibuster-proof majority, so let's not propose anything" is BS.

metis

The Republicans have never had real control of the Senate, because there we've lacked a filibuster proof majority of 60 G.O.P.
But the thing is that they never put forth any plan except to try and repeal all of the ACA, and they still haven't put forth any plan whatsoever to replace it with. To put it simply, there simply is no Republican plan-- period. :shrug:

ecco

Veteran Member
eg.
End Farm subsidies $27.8 Billion in 2017 savings.

I sense a little hypocrisy. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Please show those Freedom Caucus Republicans who have actually voted to eliminate or reduce farm subsidies.
The funds represent a portion of the $12 billion relief package that President Donald Trump pledged in July to offset the losses from retaliatory tariffs imposed by Beijing in response to Washington's tariffs on Chinese goods.

Please show those Freedom Caucus Republicans who have spoken out against these subsidies.

The 12 billion
dollar economic aid package for farmers who've suffered temporary economic losses from the China-U.S. trade war come from a depression-era program, the Commodity Credit Corporation; so then, this agricultural economic assistance money comes from the U.S. Treasury. Therefore, Congressional approval is unnecessary for the appropriation of these funds.

I didn't ask for a recap of the history of bailing out farmers. I didn't ask who does and does not need to approve the 12 billion dollar economic aid package for farmers who've suffered temporary economic losses.

I referred to hypocrisy and asked you to: Please show those Freedom Caucus Republicans who have spoken out against these subsidies.

We Never Know

No Slack
There's a name for that if it's done against their will and it's called "human trafficing".

sanctuary city
noun
  1. (in North America) a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law.
If you claim to be a sanctuary city, quit complaining and take them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
sanctuary city
noun
  1. (in North America) a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law.
There is the issue of the fed gov overloading a sanctuary city's capacity to absorb them.
This is retaliatory & mischievous. Nonetheless, I love this kind of theater.

metis

sanctuary city
noun
I do live in a sanctuary city and am proud for my city that stands for basic human compassion for people in need, whether that be religious or humanitarian. However, I am not for "open borders", and there is a difference between the two.

Also, what Trump is proposing is not only of questionably legality but what also smacks of political partisanship in a very nasty form, namely using people as political pawns, most of which are probably innocent both under American and international law.

So, my orientation is to try and help people in need as best as we and I can, so what about yours?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
what Trump is proposing is not only of questionably legality but what also smacks of political partisanship in a very nasty form, namely using people as political pawns
It is all that, very much so. But it is also counterproductive, if you want to fix the immigration problem. This is not a plan to fast tract people through the system, and depot those who should be deported, this will only slow that down.

Trump does not truly want to solve the problem. He wants to use the problem to score political points.

ecco

Veteran Member
sanctuary city
noun
Many mayors of sanctuary cities have stated they would welcome the immigrants.

However, if all are transported to sanctuary cities where will Trump get people to clean the rooms in Mar-a-Lago?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Given the choice between being put in an overcrowded detention center near the border or being sent to a sanctuary city, many undocumented immigrants would choose the later. ;)

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Many mayors of sanctuary cities have stated they would welcome the immigrants.

However, if all are transported to sanctuary cities where will Trump get people to clean the rooms in Mar-a-Lago?

I suppose Trump then would have to hire Americans to work at his resort. ....:D

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
That is true of everything he does.

Detention centers for undocumented immigrants near our border are being overcrowded, sending them to sanctuary cities where they'd supposedly be welcomed would solve the problem of too many undocumented immigrants being overcrowded in detention facilities near our border; there...problem solved...:)

metis

Especially since he had "illegals" hired in there and in his place in New Jersey, plus they never used the E-Verify system.

metis

Given the choice between being put in an overcrowded detention center near the border or being sent to a sanctuary city, many undocumented immigrants would choose the later. ;)
Nice excuse but I don't buy it as it's quite clear that this is simply nasty politics on his part because he actually said that this was being used against the Dems. On top of that, he intentionally ignored the recommendations from the CBP and some on Capital Hill to hire more judges and lawyers to handle the influx if those seeking asylum, but Trump intentionally slow-walked this, insisting that he needed to "send a message", to use his own words.

Some of the mayors and governors in these states, including mine, have said they'd these refugees in, which rather clearly has it that they are for more compassionate towards people suffering than either Trump or his supporters that don't seem to care much if others suffer and/or won't lift a finger to help them. Betcha their tune would change if they or their loved ones were suffering though.

As been noted and stated by those who've studied this and some other situations, all too many in the Trump camp seem to lack even the most basic empathy and compassion for others in need, and yet our Statue of Liberty says we should.

Again, I'm not for "open borders", and contrary to the lies that Trump and some of his spokespeople have said, the vast majority of Dems, including those in Congress and/or running for the presidency, don't want that either. And Trump's action to cut aid to the Northern Triangle Countries is so malicious and idiotic because it is likely to have the effect of encouraging even more to run north.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Last edited: