• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trumps affect on religion

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Actually there were two:

1. To love God with all your heart and,

2. To love your neighbor as you love yourself.

There was nothing inherent in these commandments about doing anything else, no matter how altruistic you want to be. Even Yeshua knew he couldn't change nor save the physical world.

The big problem here is that most people have no idea how to love themselves, this was the secret in the second commandment; and you have to love yourself before you can love another. Once you learn how to really love yourself everything else falls into place.
"Love", as found in Koine Greek, is "agape", which has a different translation that no English word adequately covers. It's considered an active noun, so one doesn't just have love, they live love.

Also, love of one's self is not necessary but is recommended. One may perceive too many flaws in themselves and yet still love others.

One of my granddaughters is this way since she suffers from "mood disorder" (similar to bipolar disorder like my son has), so she's way too self-critical, and yet she has a heart of gold towards others, doing volunteer work dealing with disadvantaged children for about five years now.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Eh Father Heathen, just to let you know all nondenominational churches in the Texas area are Evangelical conservative usually spiritfilled some are Pentecostal churches. Its the exact opposite of UU. My parcular UU church is Pagan.

Uh Its a church that embraces all religions and also ATheists and non religious folks ad ple who are trying to find a religion but in no way does it resemble the Christian churches of Tx.

But I also said interfaith though, which definitely differentiates it from the Evangelical ones.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
The big problem here is that most people have no idea how to love themselves, this was the secret in the second commandment; and you have to love yourself before you can love another. Once you learn how to really love yourself everything else falls into place.
Great point! Thanks for sharing.

Riders

One poster here says that Trump is bringing Liberals back to church. I'm sure the UU church falls into that category so. Its just means were getting on fire yay!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Was Jesus' message really that ambiguous?

When you get others throwing their take on the message, absolutely. Jesus taught a personal and inward transformation rather than a outward physical action, IMHO. Even Jesus knew it was useless to try to save the world. Take any of the "sins" you listed and they can be refuted by the very verses they are in. Most Christians have no real idea of what Jesus was teaching since most of the denominations are set up to follow the letters of Paul.

metis

When you get others throwing their take on the message, absolutely. Jesus taught a personal and inward transformation rather than a outward physical action, IMHO. Even Jesus knew it was useless to try to save the world.
Quite the opposite, as Jesus' message is mainly one of compassion and justice (fairness) towards all. The Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats are examples. Paul said of "faith, hope, and love", which was paramount?

Jesus did not advocate what I call "rocking-chair religion", namely just sit back and have p.c. beliefs. Instead, his message was one of faith matched with moral actions, especially focusing in on the poor and downtrodden. Otherwise, what we'd be doing is just "cymbals clashing", to use Paul's words-- a lot of noise.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I do know one thing, the evangelical crowd don't think highly of catholics. Catholics aren't 'true' christians in their book. (even though catholicism is the first church of christianity)

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Quite the opposite, as Jesus' message is mainly one of compassion and justice (fairness) towards all. The Sermon On the Mount and the Parable of the Sheep & Goats are examples. Paul said of "faith, hope, and love", which was paramount?

Jesus did not advocate what I call "rocking-chair religion", namely just sit back and have p.c. beliefs. Instead, his message was one of faith matched with moral actions, especially focusing in on the poor and downtrodden. Otherwise, what we'd be doing is just "cymbals clashing", to use Paul's words-- a lot of noise.

I'm sorry, what did Jesus say about the poor when he was getting his feet soaked in a very expensive oil?

metis

I'm sorry, what did Jesus say about the poor when he was getting his feet soaked in a very expensive oil?
So, are you saying he's a hypocrite?

Maybe read the Sermon On the Mount.

BTW, just a reminder that I'm not a Christian.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
So, are you saying he's a hypocrite?

Maybe read the Sermon On the Mount.

BTW, just a reminder that I'm not a Christian.

You have displayed a perfect example of selective interpretation. Did you even read the passage I was referring to?

metis

Did you even read the passage I was referring to?
a great many times.

You have displayed a perfect example of selective interpretation.
First of all, I am not a literalist when it comes to scripture, therefore what I focus in on are the general trends of scripture as a whole. Specific narratives that seemingly defy the large whole I'm generally suspicious of.

Secondly, the anointing with the oil may not have been Jesus' choice but he was too much a gentleman to refuse it. Heck, if you offered me a free beer, I'd likely go for it even if I knew it really wasn't a good thing for me to do.

[metis is now waiting while drooling on keyboard]

BSM1

What? Me worry?
a great many times.

First of all, I am not a literalist when it comes to scripture, therefore what I focus in on are the general trends of scripture as a whole. Specific narratives that seemingly defy the large whole I'm generally suspicious of.

Secondly, the anointing with the oil may not have been Jesus' choice but he was too much a gentleman to refuse it. Heck, if you offered me a free beer, I'd likely go for it even if I knew it really wasn't a good thing for me to do.

[metis is now waiting while drooling on keyboard]

???. First of all if you are just trying be trendy in your interpretation, how can you expect to mount a serious defense of your positions? For that matter, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Secondly, you saying Jesus was to polite to help the poor when he had a chance? What if you were a recovering alcoholic and someone offered you a beer? Would you be to polite to refuse? Suppose someone offered you a beer in front of a starving child? Would you be to polite to ask your friend to buy the a bag of chips at least?

garden47

AAr2JmF.img

Trumps affect on religion

History will not be kind to those conservative Christians who have provided Trump with their uncritical support!

metis

???. First of all if you are just trying be trendy in your interpretation, how can you expect to mount a serious defense of your positions? For that matter, how can you expect anyone to take you seriously?
Anyone who really knows me knows that I'm very far from being "trendy". Since you start drawing from a prejudicial position, I guess there's no where to go with this. Obviously, you can believe whatever you want to believe, and you also have the right to jump to unwarranted beliefs no matter how misguided they may be.

Finally, at no point did I say or imply that my position vis-a-vis my view of Jesus must be correct, so it's pretty difficult for me to even begin to understand why you as a non-Christian have bones to pick with me over my reluctance to accept carte blanche every little thing that's written in the Bible. As a scientist, I don't blindly believe in anything.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Anyone who really knows me knows that I'm very far from being "trendy". Since you start drawing from a prejudicial position, I guess there's no where to go with this. Obviously, you can believe whatever you want to believe, and you also have the right to jump to unwarranted beliefs no matter how misguided they may be.

Finally, at no point did I say or imply that my position vis-a-vis my view of Jesus must be correct, so it's pretty difficult for me to even begin to understand why you as a non-Christian have bones to pick with me over my reluctance to accept carte blanche every little thing that's written in the Bible. As a scientist, I don't blindly believe in anything.

But...but...even in your post you stated that you accept the "...general trend of the scriptures...". All I can believe is that tends to allow you to go to where ever you feel comfortable in your interpretations.

If you look at my religious description you will notice that I list myself as a Jesusonian. Whole different world than Christianity.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Yeah, Jesusonian, a made up word that doesn't mean much of anything IMHO