• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, the thread title is clickbait. So all you political fora junkies can just walk away now. This isn't about Donald.

This thread is about your beliefs and your moral compass regarding the beliefs of others.

In your belief structure, does your belief trump the beliefs of others? In other words, does your belief invalidate the beliefs of another? If so, why?

Conversely, if your belief accepts the beliefs of another, how do you reconcile this in your own belief structure?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
If your beliefs trump the beliefs of others (as mine do, btw) why would you have the need to accept the beliefs of others? Now if you are asking do I care what others believe, then no, I really don't care what others believe.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, the thread title is clickbait. So all you political fora junkies can just walk away now. This isn't about Donald.

This thread is about your beliefs and your moral compass regarding the beliefs of others.

In your belief structure, does your belief trump the beliefs of others? In other words, does your belief invalidate the beliefs of another? If so, why?

Conversely, if your belief accepts the beliefs of another, how do you reconcile this in your own belief structure?

My belief affirms, not trumps other beliefs though admittedly not to everyone's satisfaction. Baha'is believe that Moses, Jesus, Muhammad, Buddha and Krishna were all Manifestations of God and that Baha'u'llah is the latest Manifestation of God for this day. Further we believe in the fundamental equality of all these Manifestations of God. They all brought a Message from God that had enormous influence on millions of souls through out the centuries. Their Message was in accordance to the capacity of peoples that extended over many cultures over thousands of years so there were vast differences in what they taught.

This all personally makes sense but is understandably rejected and criticised by just about everyone who isn't a Baha'i. Atheists say there is no God. Christians say that Jesus is God. Likewise Vaishnavite Hindus say Krishna is Vishnu. Muslims reject any hint of Divinity associated with Muhammad although He brought a Message from God. Many Buddhists claim that Buddha wasn't a theist, or if He was it wasn't Abrahamic theism.

I don't live in America btw so didn't vote in the midterms!:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't believe in truth, inerrant morality, or meaning of life.
So my morals are just my preference....neither right nor wrong.
But I'm still permitted to judge & like or dislike some people's morals.

atanu

Premium Member

Are we (including me of course) not like blind men merely describing parts of an elephant?

Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
My Baha'i beliefs do not invalidate other beliefs but they trump them because the Revelation of Baha'u'llah is the most current revelation from God, and the one God wants everyone to follow, since it is the religion that is suited to the needs of the present age:

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213
The Baha'i Faith accepts all the religions of the past as valid for the ages in which they were revealed. Moreover, the spiritual verities that they enshrine will be valid for all of time. It was the message for the day and the social teachings and laws that needed to be updated for this new age we live in.

Daemon Sophic

Keeping in mind that this thread is in the General Religious Debates section, and not Jokes/Limmricks.

As my signature says, “Militant agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you.”. So yes, my outlook trumps any faith-based belief system.
As for morality: I recognize that we don’t need any of the human-generated religions to allow a person to live a kind, loving, and caring life. Almost every practicioner of every religion ever created seems to be/have been a good and moral person; but so are the many atheists I have known of and interacted with.
On a societal level, religions (or more precisely; their dogma and their churches/temples/mosques/....) have in fact held back freedom of questioning, investigation, and scientific advancement, and those dogma/churches are therefore morally weaker. But since they help make human societies more cohesive/stable they might be commended for allowing advancement to occur beyond what is possible on a hunter/gatherer/survival basis.

But now I’m really rambling.....so I’ll stop for now.

WalterTrull

Godfella
This all personally makes sense but is understandably rejected and criticised by just about everyone who isn't a Baha'i.
I'm not Baha' and it makes sense to me. Christian is my default mode, primarily because of childhood teachings. Unfortunately, I disagree with most Christians about what that means. And yet:. "For he that is not against us is on our part."

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not Baha' and it makes sense to me. Christian is my default mode, primarily because of childhood teachings. Unfortunately, I disagree with most Christians about what that means. And yet:. "For he that is not against us is on our part."
I’m from a Christian background but spent 5 years investigating the nature of religion as a result of how many conservative Christians interpreted John 14:6. Living in a multicultural community and associating closely with peoples of other faiths, I was dissatisfied with the “I’m right, your wrong outlook” of Christians. The Baha’i Faith has a universal outlook recognising the relativity of all religious truth.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I’m from a Christian background but spent 5 years investigating the nature of religion as a result of how many conservative Christians interpreted John 14:6. Living in a multicultural community and associating closely with peoples of other faiths, I was dissatisfied with the “I’m right, your wrong outlook” of Christians. The Baha’i Faith has a universal outlook recognising the relativity of all religious truth.
Very cool.
I just think I've had it with religious "rules" of any ilk. I have very strong feelings about God and the spiritual, but none about the dogma.