1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump

Discussion in 'Political Debates' started by Laika, Dec 11, 2015.

1. 4consideration

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,909
    I realize neither candidate is personally in control of what their supporters do in a particular situation.

What really swayed my opinion today was that I clicked on a youtube clip because I saw Ben Stein, and I really like his dry sense of humor. In it he mentioned he was voting for Trump for that sort of reason -- something like voting against the thugs and gangsters that throw rocks at people. I haven't been watching cable TV for months, so I have not seen TV coverage of the behavior of protesters at all these rallies, and when I looked into it, there's enough of it for me to switch my vote because of that behavior.

If they don't want me voting for Trump, they can start acting en mass with some civility and decency toward people that they disagree with.

2. 4consideration

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,909
    I agree with you that I, too, would love to vote for something on the basis of it being other than the lesser of the evil. I've been around more than 50 years, and I've watched the Clintons during all that time, and there is no way I'd vote for Clinton.

I really don't like Trump's personality, at least not what I've seen in the last few years. I would have preferred someone I like better, but I have to vote according to the choices available. I think he'll do a better job than Hillary. I think she'd sell us out to the highest bidder.

3. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Abnormal before it was fashionable
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +71,995
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I understand, even if their antics don't sway me.

4. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +17,838
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    You there may have actually done us a favor whereas we'll see how your situation with the shift to the right will play out before we vote in November. Trump linked himself to the "leave" and Clinton to the "stay", so if the "leave" doesn't work out, it could be used by the Dems to say "See, this is what you're gonna get with Trump!".

But, otoh, ...

5. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +71,995
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Found this in the news today.....
    http://spectator.org/64643_when-trump-fought-racists/
    It seems Trump has long been a lawsuit happy rabble rouser.
    (This was back when Hillary was opposing gay marriage.)

#225 Revoltingest, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  6. MysticSang'ha

MysticSang'ha Big Squishy Hugger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,256
    This. This times a thousand.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MysticSang'ha

MysticSang'ha Big Squishy Hugger
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,256
    Never mind it spits in the face of the kind of brutality that happens to Trump protestors. But never mind these people who typically are brutalized not just by Trump supporters, staff, and police when friends of mine are involved. When biases are confirmed, logic goes out the window.

One YouTube video is all it takes, apparently.

8. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +71,995
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Have sources for these claims?
    I've looked into a bunch'o proffered quotes from Trump, & found that they're often
    modified by the media (eg, NPR) to make them more bigoted than what he actually said.
    I wouldn't be so confident of this....especially if one is of brownish complexion &
    living in Iran, Iraq, or any other Muslim country which makes her trigger finger itch..
    And don't forget that she was a leading opponent of gay marriage at both the state
    & federal level.

Trump is a loud mouthed boor, & Hillary is a powerful politician.
    The latter strikes me as the more dangerous of the two.

#228 Revoltingest, Jul 5, 2016
  9. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +33,415
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    At least she wouldn't be promoting it like Trump. There wouldn't be questions concerning her position of Muslims coming into America.
    Yes, but people change. As you said, she was a leading opponent, not is a leading opponent.

Trump assuming a judge of Mexican descent will inherently be biased in his decisions against Trump because Trump wants to build his wall.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/politics/donald-trump-tapper-lead/

Trump on the gay marriage ruling:
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/03/07/new-video-questions-trumps-stance-on-gay-marriage.html

At last week’s Fox News debate, for instance, he called the Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage “an illegitimate and wrong decision.”
    Trump on Muslims:
    http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/07/politics/donald-trump-muslim-ban-immigration/
    "Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on," a campaign press release said.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6545e8-2a1c-11e6-a3c4-0724e8e24f3f_story.html
    Their concerns increased again Sunday after Trump said he thought a Muslim judge might treat him unfairly because he wants to temporarily ban most foreign Muslims from entering the country.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +71,995
    Religion:
    Atheist
    This post will be made with a series of edits over the next 20 minutes......

No, she'll bomb them in their home countries.
    Which travesty is worse......
    What Trump says he'll do, but cannot actually accomplish?
    Or what Hillary has already done, & promises more of the same?
    How do we know?
    With political winds permanently shifted to legal gay marriage, I don't think she'll go back to her original position.
    But she's rather socially conservative, & I don't expect her to be very libertarian in her social policies or USSC justice picks.
    Who is worse in this area, Donald or Hillary?
    I don't know.

While a bigoted & aggressive legal tactic, this doesn't support your claim that he says they're not "real" Americans.

But he did say that it's now the law of the land, so his position might actually be quite
    similar to Hillary's, ie, reluctant acceptance of gay marriage. I don't trust either to stand
    up for LeggyBetty (LGBT or whatever the current initialism is) rights.
    I note that you refer to his impending softened position, focusing upon countries representing a terrorist threat.
    Nonetheless, his anti-Muslim rhetoric is indeed bad form which inflames enemies.
    (Note that Hillary has said even worse about Iranians.)

#230 Revoltingest, Jul 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. fantome profane

fantome profane Keep safe, and keep your neighbours safe.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,954
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +71,995
    Religion:
    Atheist
    What if he promised not to sneeze?
    What if he smelled of Frenchie cheese?
    Would you...would you....like him, please?

13. metis

Ratings:
    +17,838
    Religion:
    I think that Cruz last night just threw his chance of getting any Republican nomination for much of anything beyond running for dog-catcher in the garbage.

14. jonathan180iq

jonathan180iq Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,528

• Like Like x 3
  15. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,107
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    It is a sad day when Ted Cruz of all people makes a personal sacrifice to challenge the tide of the Republican Party... and the shame is very much on the Party.

• Like Like x 2
  16. metis

Ratings:
    +17,838
    Religion:
    I was listening to Tony Schwartz last night and his comments about Trump, and if you're not familiar with Schwartz, he was hired by Trump to write a biography on him, and Trump praised the book and the author, saying that it was an all-time best seller just behind the Bible itself.

Schwartz, who spent months with Trump, says that he is an amoral "sociopath" who simply cannot be trusted.

Below is an article from NBC News on what Schwartz concluded that includes info on Trump's attempts to silence him by filing a lawsuit against him:

Tony Schwartz, ghostwriter of Donald Trump's book "The Art of the Deal," told MSNBC Wednesday that the Trump campaign sent him a cease and desist letter in response to his comments about the Republican candidate.

Schwartz, a former journalist, was employed by Trump to ghostwrite his memoir in 1987. In an interview with MSNBC, Schwartz described the Republican candidate for president as "having no heart and no soul."

The writer told the New Yorker this month that he genuinely believes "if Trump wins and gets the nuclear codes there is an excellent possibility it will lead to the end of civilization."

Schwartz said in the interview Wednesday evening with Rachel Maddow and Brian Williams that the Trump organization sent him a "cease and desist" letter for his comments about the candidate and demanded that he stop collecting, and repay, his royalties on the sale of "The Art of the Deal."
    -- http://www.nbcnews.com/card/trump-campaign-trying-silence-art-deal-ghostwriter-n613686

17. Daemon Sophic

Daemon Sophic Avatar in flux

Ratings:
    +3,272
    Agreed.
    Regardless of where the expression started, when a man is booed for saying "Vote your conscience", then you the booer (is that a word?) are voting for the wrong person.
    Those people booing (the entire delegate crowd) were telling Cruz (and America) to leave reason and individuality behind, and just fall in rank.

• Like Like x 2