• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump wants to buy Greenland

Should Trump purchase Greenland?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Maybe...if the price is right.

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does Greenland have National Healthcare? If they do, then they would be better off not becoming part of the USA.
We have an excellent health care system. It is known as 'Ayush Yojna'. Fall ill, go to the best hospital in the town, get well, government will pay all the expenses.
Who cares about them. Even though they've lived there for thousands of years, they're not white, so we consider the land vacant. :rolleyes:
We have a long history of making new people feel at home.
The average historic average price-to-earnings ratio among Standard & Poor’s 500 companies is about 17. So if we were to price Greenland like an average S&P 500 company and use GDP as a proxy for earnings, we would end up with a valuation of about $34 billion.
Like I said, it is an investment for future, like Alaska. Let the Earth warm up, then Greenland would be the hottest property in the world.

Last edited:

Nimos

Fine, Denmark should fix the mess they made and then get out, instead of cutting and running to leave the indigenous people with the mess, like the British did.
Well its not exactly easy to fixed and Im not really sure you know what you are talking about. The mess in general have been fixed. It happened quite a long time ago.

To give you some updated information you can read this:

In 1953 a new Danish Constitution incorporated Greenland in Denmark, the island thereby gained representation in the Danish Parliament and was recognized as a Danish province known as the County of Greenland.[14] In 1979 Greenland was granted home rule by the Danish government, but Denmark remained in control of a number of areas including foreign relations, defense, currency matters and the legal system in Greenland after this.[15][16]

In 2008 Greenland's citizens approved the Greenlandic self-government referendum with a 75% vote in favor of a higher degree of autonomy.[17] Greenland took control of law enforcement, the coast guard, and the legal system. The official language changed from Danish to Greenlandic on 21 June 2009, Greenland national day.[18]

As part of the self-rule law of 2009 (section §21), Greenland can declare full independence if they wish to pursue it, but it would have to be approved by a referendum among the Greenlandic people.[19] A poll in 2016 showed that there was a clear majority (64%) for full independence among the Greenlandic people,[20] but a poll in 2017 showed that there was a clear opposition (78%) if it meant a fall in living standards.[21]

Greenland's former prime minister, Kuupik Kleist, has repeatedly expressed the need to diversify Greenland's economy, which mainly relies on fishery, tourism and a substantial annual block grant from the Danish state.[22][23] The block grant equals about two-thirds of Greenland's government budget[24] or about one-quarter of the entire GDP of Greenland.[25] Economic stability is seen as a basis for full political independence from Denmark.[26] When Kim Kielsen was reelected with a strong majority as the leader of the largest Greenlandic pro-independence party Siumut in 2017, observers considered it a win for the "slow-independence" faction instead of the "now-independence" faction.[21] (His opponent, Vittus Qujaukitsoq, had argued for independence even if it meant losing the large annual block grant from the Danish state.)[27]During a debate in the Danish Parliament (which also includes members from Greenland) in 2018, Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke said that Greenland needs to make it clear if they wish to remain a part of the Kingdom or become independent.[28] If Greenland were to become an independent country, the annual block grant from Denmark to Greenland would cease.[28]

In 2008, independence campaigners touted the year 2021 (the 300th anniversary of Danish colonial rule) as a date for potential independence.[29]

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What evidence do you have to write that? As I wrote, let’s allow the Greenlanders to publicly debate the issue and vote on it. If you truly think the Greenlanders would not support joining the U.S. you should have no qualms about such a thing.
What would make you think that they would have any such desire in the first place?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well its not exactly easy to fixed and Im not really sure you know what you are talking about. The mess in general have been fixed. It happened quite a long time ago.

To give you some updated information you can read this:

In 1953 a new Danish Constitution incorporated Greenland in Denmark, the island thereby gained representation in the Danish Parliament and was recognized as a Danish province known as the County of Greenland.[14] In 1979 Greenland was granted home rule by the Danish government, but Denmark remained in control of a number of areas including foreign relations, defense, currency matters and the legal system in Greenland after this.[15][16]

In 2008 Greenland's citizens approved the Greenlandic self-government referendum with a 75% vote in favor of a higher degree of autonomy.[17] Greenland took control of law enforcement, the coast guard, and the legal system. The official language changed from Danish to Greenlandic on 21 June 2009, Greenland national day.[18]

As part of the self-rule law of 2009 (section §21), Greenland can declare full independence if they wish to pursue it, but it would have to be approved by a referendum among the Greenlandic people.[19] A poll in 2016 showed that there was a clear majority (64%) for full independence among the Greenlandic people,[20] but a poll in 2017 showed that there was a clear opposition (78%) if it meant a fall in living standards.[21]

Greenland's former prime minister, Kuupik Kleist, has repeatedly expressed the need to diversify Greenland's economy, which mainly relies on fishery, tourism and a substantial annual block grant from the Danish state.[22][23] The block grant equals about two-thirds of Greenland's government budget[24] or about one-quarter of the entire GDP of Greenland.[25] Economic stability is seen as a basis for full political independence from Denmark.[26] When Kim Kielsen was reelected with a strong majority as the leader of the largest Greenlandic pro-independence party Siumut in 2017, observers considered it a win for the "slow-independence" faction instead of the "now-independence" faction.[21] (His opponent, Vittus Qujaukitsoq, had argued for independence even if it meant losing the large annual block grant from the Danish state.)[27]During a debate in the Danish Parliament (which also includes members from Greenland) in 2018, Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke said that Greenland needs to make it clear if they wish to remain a part of the Kingdom or become independent.[28] If Greenland were to become an independent country, the annual block grant from Denmark to Greenland would cease.[28]

In 2008, independence campaigners touted the year 2021 (the 300th anniversary of Danish colonial rule) as a date for potential independence.[29]
Thanks for the info. I know some about Greenland, but not a lot. So it does seem that Greenland is heading towards full independence sometime in the near future after they get the economic issues sorted. I wish them the best of luck.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Thanks for the info. I know some about Greenland, but not a lot. So it does seem that Greenland is heading towards full independence sometime in the near future after they get the economic issues sorted. I wish them the best of luck.
OK. Then they really may be up for sale. Someone said, Greenland has a corrupt government.

Nimos

I think it would be great if they could. But unfortunately they have some huge problems with alcohol, hash, sexual assaults and suicides... so when I say that Denmark and Greenland should work better together its to solve that.

In regards to US buying Greenland, this is what Greenland responded:

However, it appears the people of Greenland are opposed to the notion that island nation would become part of the United States, especially after Trump's inquiry.

In response to Trump's inquiry, several politicians from Greenland took to social media to reject the idea of the island nation becoming part of the United States.

This is from the former US ambassador in Denmark
"Oh dear lord. As someone who loves Greenland, has been there nine times to every corner and loves the people, this is a complete and total catastrophe," former U.S. ambassador to Denmark, Rufus Gifford, said in on Twitter.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think it would be great if they could. But unfortunately they have some huge problems with alcohol, hash, sexual assaults and suicides.
If that is the case, then Denmark should do away with the facade of autonomy and take control of the government and instead give Greenland a good government (like what we have done in Kashmir. Bad Government, no autonomy). In many countries, copper mines are sold after independence. So, if Greenland would not be sold outright, it could be mortgaged for money. I know, it is a bad bad world.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Dang, my hopes for the world's largest ski resort are fading. And this is the one job that Trump might actually be qualified for.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Is Trump wanting the U.S. to buy Greenland or wanting to buy it with other investors himself?
From posts I read here, it's seems some think it's the latter.

I doubt Congress would appropriate the funds needed for our nation to buy Greenland. so then, if Greenland were to become a part of America, Trump and his business partners would have to take this matter upon themselves to buy Greenland from Denmark.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Set up a 3 way trade.

US gets Greenland in exchange for Texas. Mexico gets Texas as a staging post for economic migrants and Denmark can get some of the Gulf Coast so they have somewhere warm for the winter.

Win-win-win

I'd favor America selling off parts of Texas, Arizona, and California to Mexico in order to pay down our national debt as well as for buying Greenland.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Holy ****, are you really suggesting that we should give them the reservation treatment if we were to "buy Greenland"?

Native Americans are free to live off the reservation, but most of them are perfectly content staying within the bounds of their tribal nation among their own culture rather than mixing in with other races.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
He's an admitted supporter of white nationalism, which is just the PR name for white supremacy, so his disgusting views are no surprise.

I'm not a white supremacist, there's a huge difference between having been a racial separatist and being a white supremacist.

I'd favor America selling off parts of Texas, Arizona, and California to Mexico in order to pay down our national debt as well as for buying Greenland.

Maybe the Queen would like to buy back some of her territories in the US. She's got high standards though so would want some of the more traditional parts of the north east. Canada might take some of the west coast too.

You could sell off the expensive stuff round the edges and consolidate in the middle. Places like Wyoming, Nevada, Iowa where the land is cheaper and that wouldn't fetch much of a price on the world market. The Queen couldn't exactly host an exclusive garden and croquet party in Iowa after all.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I'm talking about the colonialist whites at hand in this discussion - Denmark, Trump and the white people in this thread thinking this is a great idea. They need to butt out and let the indigenous Greenlandic people decide their own destiny. Mind you, I'm half-white and have Danish ancestry so don't even try to portray me as being "anti-white" or some such bs.

No one said the various European cultures aren't worth saving. I mean, did you even bother to read my religion field? If anything, the individual cultures need to be strengthened and it's this hegemonic Christian construct called "the West" that needs to go, especially as Christianity is in its grave already in most of Western Europe. So stop misrepresenting what I'm saying.

I am all in favour of cultures of all countries being preserved and maintained. It is a shame that the United Nations has other ideas and wants to implement those ideas.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The USA has had a large military airbase on Greenland since after WW2. However it has no territorial rights. It seems that there have been Danish/Norwegian settlers on Greenland since at least the Tenth Century. It is not Certain that there were any permanent residents of any sort before that.

sooda

Veteran Member
The USA has had a large military airbase on Greenland since after WW2. However it has no territorial rights. It seems that there have been Danish/Norwegian settlers on Greenland since at least the Tenth Century. It is not Certain that there were any permanent residents of any sort before that.

Yes.. the base is called Thule.