• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump wants to buy Greenland

Should Trump purchase Greenland?

• Yes.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Maybe...if the price is right.

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
President Donald J. Trump is reportedly interested in buying Greenland from Denmark. An offer from President Harry Truman to buy Greenland for $100 million in 1946 was then rejected by Denmark. However, now the Danish government is reportedly struggling to come up with over $600 million in annual subsidies that Denmark sends to Greenland. If Donald J. Trump were to purchase Greenland from Denmark, he'd probably have some good ideas on how to convert Greenland into valuable real estate as well as a hugely profitable venture for America. Greenland is the world's largest island, and if this territory were added to land size of the United States, this would increase the land area of the United States by 25 percent.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Greenland is the world's largest island, and if this territory were added to land size of the United States, this would increase the land area of the United States by 25 percent.
Is he planning to buy it in his capacity as President? If not, I don't understand why it would be considered part of the US.

I got a great slogan though: US. The e̶m̶p̶i̶r̶e̶ completely non-imperial country where the sun never sets!

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I remember that argument being made for the invasion of Iraq.

So how about we ask the Greenlanders if they want what passes for freedom here in the land of guns, drugs, and mega-corporations?
Tom
I think you've taken my post far more seriously than I intended it to be taken. I don't actually think there's any chance of Denmark selling Greenland any time soon.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Greenland should be an independent country and you thinking of it in terms of real estate profit and development is disgusting. We don't need anymore of Trump's tacky crap. Let the Inuit people be in charge of their own homeland. White people need to butt out.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
As though Denmark has been all that great for Greenlanders.
The Arctic Suicides: It's Not The Dark That Kills You
Maybe they want more of:
Denmark decided it was time to develop the local economy. Greenland was a perfect place for commercial fishing, and there was potentially a lot of money to be made on halibut and shrimp. The Danish government brought in trading companies and trawlers.

Within a few years, it was out with the kayaks and famous hunters, and in with the motorboats and fishing rights. The influx of money and new technology made some people richer, but it undercut the traditional Inuit economy in small villages, which was based on collective hunting and trading of meat and skins.

Maybe this matters to Trump. But I see no reason to think so. He's always been the
The people! The people?
The people have no say!"
type.
Tom

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Trump wants to buy Greenland: On credit? Does he have the money?

"Greenland is the world's largest island, and if this territory were added to land size of the United States, this would increase the land area of the United States by 25 percent." After the snow melts, the remaining area would be much smaller. But even then, it would be a nice place. China or India could give a better price or perhaps the middle-eastern states. India will need space for its huge population which is or will soon be larger than that of China.
1370,614,080 just a few seconds ago. India Population (2019) - Worldometers

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If I were a Greenlander, I would be quite annoyed at becoming a political football amongst the Euro-Christian colonialists.
Tom

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Trump wants to buy Greenland: On credit? Does he have the money?

"Greenland is the world's largest island, and if this territory were added to land size of the United States, this would increase the land area of the United States by 25 percent." After the snow melts, the remaining area would be much smaller. But even then, it would be a nice place. China or India could give a better price or perhaps the middle-eastern states. India will need space for its huge population which is or will soon be larger than that of China.
1370,614,080 just a few seconds ago. India Population (2019) - Worldometers
Or we could let the native Greenlandic people decide the future of their homeland and stop this colonialist ****. China and India's problems with overpopulation are their own fault and others shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
President Donald J. Trump is reportedly interested in buying Greenland from Denmark. An offer from President Harry Truman to buy Greenland for $100 million in 1946 was then rejected by Denmark. However, now the Danish government is reportedly struggling to come up with over $600 million in annual subsidies that Denmark sends to Greenland. If Donald J. Trump were to purchase Greenland from Denmark, he'd probably have some good ideas on how to convert Greenland into valuable real estate as well as a hugely profitable venture for America. Greenland is the world's largest island, and if this territory were added to land size of the United States, this would increase the land area of the United States by 25 percent.

Sure why not, but who would the payments go to? o_O