• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump wants a few executions while he's still in office...

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Is a man who would feel glad to be a executionner fit that description of a sadist whose life dream is to cause suffering? I would say yes.
I don't care about making them suffer. I'm not interested in torturing them. Hell, they can have a robot do it by delivering a shot to the brain stem to kill them instantly for all I care. But I would have zero issue in removing an evil black hole of a "human being" from the world. It would be a service to humanity.

epronovost

But I would have zero issue in removing an evil black hole of a "human being" from the world.

Prisons can and already do that. You can remove someone from society and place in somewhere where they will never hurt anybody else again. It's even cheaper. Why do you want to kill people so much?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Prisons can and already do that. You can remove someone from society and place in somewhere where they will never hurt anybody else again. It's even cheaper. Why do you want to kill people so much?
Justice, and being practical. I'd appropriate it if you'd stopped trying to insult my character, as well. I'm not presenting you as some heartless a-hole defending the right to life of serial killers and mass murderers.

epronovost

Justice, and being practical.

Now spending more money for the same result is being practical?

PS; You can totally present me as someone defending the right of mass murderers and serial killers to live. That's accurate. That's absolutely what I'm doing and saying right now. You can own your love and desire for their death too.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Now spending more money for the same result is being practical?

PS; You can totally present me as someone defending the right of mass murderers and serial killers to live. That's accurate. That's absolutely what I'm doing and saying right now. You can own your love and desire for their death too.
Yes, I want rapists and murderers to die. How horrible of me. Sorry, but I don't follow watered-down Christian morality like most Western atheists do under the guise of "humanism". I reject the notion that human life is especially sacred or that we're born with inherent rights. I don't think it's "sinful" or "wrong" to desire the deaths of sadists who abuse, torment and torture innocent victims. Sorry, but your judgmental moralizing should be left at whatever your equivalent of a church is. I live in reality.

The head God of my pantheon is a death and war God (among other things) that they used to dedicate human sacrifices to, so if you think death is problematic or taboo to me, think again. I love death just as much as I love life. You need both to be in harmony with all that is.

epronovost

Yes, I want rapists and murderers to die. How horrible of me. Sorry, but I don't follow watered-down Christian morality like most Western atheists do under the guise of "humanism". I reject the notion that human life is especially sacred or that we're born with inherent rights. I don't think it's "sinful" or "wrong" to desire the deaths of sadists who abuse, torment and torture innocent victims. Sorry, but your judgmental moralizing should be left at whatever your equivalent of a church is. I live in reality.

The head God of my pantheon is a death and war God (among other things) that they used to dedicate human sacrifices to, so if you think death is problematic or taboo to me, think again.

I'm happy that you can tolerate being called a sadist for worshiping a sadistic deity and not believing in human rights and wear the label since it fits (to be honest it's a bit too harsh and exagerated, but we could say that ruthless or pityless would be a better qualifier), but that doesn't address the fact that you believe the death penalty is more practical despite the fact it has no financial or crime fighting advantage over life in prison sentences.

You can absolutely say that you like the death penalty because it brings you joy, but it's a rather weak argument to carry on with a costly and often unjust policy.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm happy that you can tolerate being called a sadist for worshiping a sadistic deity and not believing in human rights and wear the label since it fits (to be honest it's a bit too harsh and exagerated, but we could say that ruthless or pityless would be a better qualifier), but that doesn't address the fact that you believe the death penalty is more practical despite the fact it has no financial or crime fighting advantage over life in prison sentences.

You can absolutely say that you like the death penalty because it brings you joy, but it's a rather weak argument to carry on with a costly and often unjust policy.
Lol, you're just twisting my words and spouting nonsense. Odin isn't sadistic at all or I wouldn't be ****ing worshipping him. War and death are just aspects of life. So that's just more anti-theist ignorance. If you want to be stupid and call me a sadist when you obviously haven't a ****ing clue what I'm saying, that's your choice. Take a hike.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The problem with the death penalty is that due to human imperfection it is all but inevitable that innocent people will be killed by the state. The revenge on killing people that "should be killed" does not adequately pay for the state ordered death of an innocent in my eyes.

There is no reason that life long imprisonment need be comfortable. No one is suggesting a life of luxury and ease for rapists and murderers, just separation from the rest of us. For some imprisonment of this sort is worse than death. Let that be your revenge.

epronovost

War and death are just aspects of life.

That's your opinion. Death is indeed an unavoidable part of life as for war it is not. If death could be celebrated to memorialise the life of someone, war should not be celebrated or even encouraged and if you know your history and mythologgy well, Odin was also a rapacious thief who certainly enjoyed his fair share of wars and got what he ultimately deserved (being eaten by one of his many, many enemies).

I take it you have no other arguments to defend the death penalty beside "I like it"? I'm totall fine with if that's your only argument. You have the right to like the deaths of condamned criminals, just don't expect me to like it in return and I don't think it's a solid argument enough for establishing public policies.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I have mixed views on capital punishment. I can see the one side where there's a sense of justice, especially if the condemned prisoner did something particularly heinous. I recall that Jeffrey Dahmer was given a life sentence because Wisconsin had no death penalty, but when he was killed in prison by another prisoner, I don't recall anyone shedding any tears for him.

On the other hand, I can see where others might believe that it's wrong for the state to kill, no matter what the perpetrator did.

I would say that in the most extreme and heinous cases, the death penalty might be warranted. But there would have to be absolute certainty of guilt. The justice system has been known to make mistakes.

I would also wonder about the methods of execution. Granted, we don't burn people at the stake anymore, nor do we lower them into boiling oil or put them in the iron maiden. Compared to that, the guillotine would have been considered more humane. We still seemed to prefer hanging though through much of our history, at least until the electric chair came on the scene. Now we use lethal injections for executions, but even that seems to have complications.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That's your opinion. Death is indeed an unavoidable part of life as for war it is not. If death could be celebrated to memorialise the life of someone, war should not be celebrated or even encouraged and if you know your history and mythologgy well, Odin was also a rapacious thief who certainly enjoyed his fair share of wars and got what he ultimately deserved (being eaten by one of his many, many enemies).

I take it you have no other arguments to defend the death penalty beside "I like it"? I'm totall fine with if that's your only argument. You have the right to like the deaths of condamned criminals, just don't expect me to like it in return and I don't think it's a solid argument enough for establishing public policies.
I'm not going to get into religion and mythology deeply here as that's beyond the scope of this thread. Personally, I don't look to myth to tell me about the character of the Gods. Myths are just stories - with great meaning, yes - but there's plenty of entertainment thrown in, too.

No, that's not why I support the death penalty. I simply believe that the punishment should be proportionate to the crime committed. If you take innocent lives or destroy the lives of others, you have forfeited yours. It's a matter of justice. I mentioned practical because there's really no point in keeping them around. They can't be rehabilitated, the type of people I'm referring to, so they're just using up resources that could be better used.

epronovost

No, that's not why I support the death penalty. I simply believe that the punishment should be proportionate to the crime committed. If you take innocent lives or destroy the lives of others, you have forfeited yours. It's a matter of justice. I mentioned practical because there's really no point in keeping them around. They can't be rehabilitated, the type of people I'm referring to, so they're just using up resources that could be better used.

Again, life in prison provides the same result. A person's life is taken away from them. Sure, they are still alive, but their life, their friends, their family, their hopes and dreams have been taken away from them for the rest of their lives. It's also cheaper, thus using less resources that can then be used to help the families and loved ones of the victim lived through their grief.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Again, life in prison provides the same result. A person's life is taken away from them. Sure, they are still alive, but their life, their friends, their family, their hopes and dreams have been taken away from them for the rest of their lives. It's also cheaper, thus using less resources that can then be used to help the families and loved ones of the victim lived through their grief.
I'm not interested in torturing people by keeping them locked up in a cage when there's no point at all at keeping them around. I don't even support methods of killing that cause suffering. A bullet to the back of the head that hits the brain stem is as humane a method of death as it gets. Either that, or using inert gas in a gas chamber, which is also a humane way to die as well as peaceful. I don't really support prisons, honestly. I believe in focusing on rehabilitation and reintegration into society, not punishment and isolation. How sadistic of me.

Last edited:

Zaha Torte

I'm going to presume it's more of a "fireworks display" for his presidency, than a nasty streak. But it can't help but be noticed that he wants more executions during his lame-duck period than have ever happened before. And of course (well why not), they're mostly black.

That's all my editorializing. Anybody want to contribute?

(By the way, I am absolutely opposed to capital punishment. Whether anyone deserves death is a question that I can't answer, but whether I deserve, through my government, to inflict death on others -- that I can answer. NO!)
I'm fine with it. I think it's funny that CNN keeps claiming that Biden is "President-Elect" when he's not.

danieldemol

Premium Member
We can't know that in the future sociopathic tendencies etc won't be curable.

It sure would be a shameful waste of life to KO someone for being the way nature made them just to find out a couple of years down the track that there is an effective way to fully rehabilitate them.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

The head God of my pantheon is a death and war God (among other things) that they used to dedicate human sacrifices to, so if you think death is problematic or taboo to me, think again. I love death just as much as I love life. You need both to be in harmony with all that is.
Cool fanfic, bro.

Meanwhile, in reality, execution as an act of the judicial system is clearly morally absurd and indefensible, not to mention costly and inhumane. Your edgy power fantasy about wanting to execute murderers and rapists is just a personal delusion with no bearing on the reality of what it means to have a state that gets to determine who has a right to life, and a legislature and legal system that is set up to dictate what evidence is sufficient to annihilate a person. Debating capital punishment requires a little bit more thought than is put into an average page of The Punisher.

To say "I would love to kill rapists, though" says nothing about the legal and moral implications of state-sanctioned killing; it's just a childish, edgy boast.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Cool fanfic, bro.

Meanwhile, in reality, execution as an act of the judicial system is clearly morally absurd and indefensible, not to mention costly and inhumane. Your edgy power fantasy about wanting to execute murderers and rapists is just a personal delusion with no bearing on the reality of what it means to have a state that gets to determine who has a right to life, and a legislature and legal system that is set up to dictate what evidence is sufficient to annihilate a person. Debating capital punishment requires a little bit more thought than is put into an average page of The Punisher.

To say "I would love to kill rapists, though" says nothing about the legal and moral implications of state-sanctioned killing; it's just a childish, edgy boast.
That's nice. *Clicks ignore*

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm going to presume it's more of a "fireworks display" for his presidency, than a nasty streak. But it can't help but be noticed that he wants more executions during his lame-duck period than have ever happened before. And of course (well why not), they're mostly black.

That's all my editorializing. Anybody want to contribute?

(By the way, I am absolutely opposed to capital punishment. Whether anyone deserves death is a question that I can't answer, but whether I deserve, through my government, to inflict death on others -- that I can answer. NO!)
I guess he just has to underline that the US is not a like other civilized countries.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Unless, of course, you were wrongfully convicted. Do you think that has never happened? I listed three, in Canada, just with last names beginning with "M."

So "must have done something heinous" should be changed to "thought to have done something heinous, whether you did or not."
Several in the UK as well, Bentley and Evans coming immediately to mind. And so many who were obviously beyond reason of mind when they killed ......
People who want to carry out executions aren't thinking clearly imo.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'd happily be an executioner. I would've loved to have been the one to fry Bundy. Or you could just join the armed forces or police force.

I refer you to this exchange:
Me: It seems to me the Democrats underestimated the anger, mean-spiritedness and racism of many American voters, as most of the rest of the world also did.

You: I voted for Trump this time and the latter two reasons you gave have nothing to do with it. As for anger, well, everyone's angry about something these days.

So you do tick at least one of my boxes, after all.