• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump vs Saturday Night Live

Cooky

Veteran Member
SNL doesn't need to compromise because they haven't done anything they can be "taken of the air" for.

There's a concept called "satire of a public figure", maybe you should look it up.

At the same time though, Trump is just being Trump. It's not like he can actually do anything about it. He knows that -and freedom of speech is a two way road. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think its gotten more viewers more alive sense 2016.They have more material with this administration and Trump.
No doubt roasting Trump will attract an audience.
But SNL is zombified compared to decades earlier.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
SNL doesn't need to compromise because they haven't done anything they can be "taken of the air" for.

There's a concept called "satire of a public figure", maybe you should look it up.

There's also a concept that comedy or political satire should be funny rather than boring or stupid. ...;)

Shad

Veteran Member
I have not watched SNL in ages. Way back, all politicians were fair game regardless of orientation. Is that the case now or is it all about anti-Republican and especially anti-Trump as I have been told?

A bit of A and B. A lot of the people working for SNL are open about being against Trump. Ergo the work is not longer separated from their private life. Although Trumps reaction merely stirs the pot so to speak.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You can think it's boring or stupid all you like. That's not actually a compelling legal reason to take a show "off the air".

There's no compelling legal reason, but low ratings because of a viewer boycott from Trump supporters could get the show cancelled.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
low ratings because of a viewer boycott from Trump supporters could get the show cancelled.

I expect the opposite to occur. SNL will become more popular the more Trump roars and bellows at them. It's why we're discussing him here, and not favorably. It's why somebody like me, who never turns on SNL, has already seen the skit.

Laura Ingraham and Roseanne Barr took big hits when their audiences rejected their personal comments, but SNL's audience is unlikely to object to any satirical treatment of Trump. It's what they expect.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
One might think that Trump would learn from his own statement,
& try to behave in a manner giving Baldwin less work.

From what I can tell, both Baldwin and Trump have serious anger issues. Baldwin strikes me as someone with a belligerent and violent attitude.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From what I can tell, both Baldwin and Trump have serious anger issues. Baldwin strikes me as someone with a belligerent and violent attitude.
They're quite a pair.
Ya know what's odd....I look at Kevin Hart losing his job hosting the
Oscars over his anti-gay statements. Yet Baldwin's cruel verbal
abuse of his own daughter being worse hasn't lost him any work.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

Baldwin punched a guy over a parking spot; he's very much got anger management issues; although I can relate to this, since having anger management issues of my own from taking steroids for body building.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
"Could", sure. But that's not what Trump is talking about, is he?

Trump doesn't have a valid legal case, he's just threatening legal action for attention; of course, he easily captivates my attention. If a viewer boycott of SNL were to please Trump, then I'd like to help organize and support this boycott of SNL.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They're quite a pair.
Ya know what's odd....I look at Kevin Hart losing his job hosting the
Oscars over his anti-gay statements. Yet Baldwin's cruel verbal
abuse of his own daughter being worse hasn't lost him any work.

Show business never ceases to amaze me - and I consider politics just another branch of show business. Or maybe show business is just another branch of politics. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.

Either way, I do find it odd that people at a certain level of celebrity seem to feel that they can have public temper tantrums and even punch people - yet still seem to think they can or should be able to get away with it.

I don't have any problem with satire or any kind of artistic expression - and in fact, I'm all for it. The more irreverent, the better. I don't think anyone should be censored or taken off the air because someone doesn't like their jokes. But I think the complaint here might be due to the fact that just a few network executives are making decisions about which jokes are okay to tell, and which ones should be considered "off limits." They could justify it as a "business decision," but they're also making political decisions in terms of evaluating the political positions and values held by their audience.