• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump to declare national emergency

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The rude awakening will come if people don't listen to Trump. All it takes is a few unabated illegals coming over the border that shouldn't. Of course on the alternative side, I'm sure the Democrats are more than willing to take the blame for half done shoddy border security measures if this country suffers the results of major security breaches should a another major tragedy occur that can be arguably averted by doing the right thing in the first place
*biggest eyeroll.* a wall is already shoddy border security and less than half of illegals come by way of foot. Most come on legal Visas they overstay, by planes and boats. Meanwhile it's ignoring much bigger problems like, you know, Trump, who was caught employing undocumented migrants who can't complain about lack of basic work safety let alone benefits.

As for 'another tragedy', give me a ****ing break. We lose more people to domestic terrorism than foreign born terrorists. We are the most violent folks around, statistically.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
My prediction: Which, really, is all that counts.

If a national emergency is declared, any monies allocated for the wall will be immediately frozen and withdrawn by at least the first day the new president takes office in two years.

My prediction: Captured Mexican drug lord El Chapo's seized assets from his illegal drug operations are going to be used by the U.S. Federal government to help pay for finishing the wall.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe all the native American tribal nations would have been better off if they'd built great impenetrable walls ....:p

Unfortunately they couldn't. What they could have done is threatened to build them, but then fail.
Sound familiar?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The rude awakening will come if people don't listen to Trump. All it takes is a few unabated illegals coming over the border that shouldn't.

Wait,you think this wall...which he'll never be able to complete regardless of Congress, assuming you mean coast to coast...will mean there are not 'a few unabated illegals'?

Because if you actually think that's all it takes, and that this wall will prevent that, you are clearly deluded on the issue.

Ellen Brown

CNN, at 6:00 PM PST says Trump will do it. If someone doesn't do SOMETHING now, I just don't know what to say? The present feels like the "Twilight Zone."

Daemon Sophic

Democrats have made some pretty interesting (in my opinion, disappointing) counter-threats about what they'd then do when in power, and how they'd use the same declaration to achieve their goals regardless of Congress support.

Personally, I really hate this particularly modern way of thinking. If someone else is doing something wrong, you saying 'Oh yeah, well then we'll <insert escalation of own action here> doesn't do anything other than lose you the moral high ground.'

It's a crap argument.

If it all heads that way, you just end up with a country that is the poorer for it, imho.
Yep. That was the point of my post. The first 2/3 was done in humor/sarcasm.
I know we don’t see much of that around here. And to read it from me? That’s unheard of. I NEVER use sarcasm.
giphy.gif

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Unfortunately they couldn't. What they could have done is threatened to build them, but then fail.
Sound familiar?

Some border security barriers are already in place along the U.S.-Mexico border, and these barriers are getting extended where necessary.

Daemon Sophic

My prediction: Captured Mexican drug lord El Chapo's seized assets from his illegal drug operations are going to be used by the U.S. Federal government to help pay for finishing the wall.
By golly, you’ve got it! We should sell captured Mexican drugs to the American public to pay for the wall, which we’ve already shown does little or nothing to slow the influx of more drugs into the US.

Genius!

giphy.gif

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
By golly, you’ve got it! We should sell captured Mexican drugs to the American public to pay for the wall, which we’ve already shown does little or nothing to slow the influx of more drugs into the US.

Genius!

giphy.gif

No, I'm not saying our government should get in the business of selling illegal narcotics, but our government should find El Chapo's hidden monetary assets and then sell these to help pay for finishing the wall.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep. That was the point of my post. The first 2/3 was done in humor/sarcasm.
I know we don’t see much of that around here. And to read it from me? That’s unheard of. I NEVER use sarcasm.

Heh...all good.
Another site I frequent uses green font for sarcasm, since there were so many miscommunications because of it.
I did ask them whether I should just change my preferences to ALWAYS post in green, but since I had put that question up in black font, they assumed it was serious.

:)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Some border security barriers are already in place along the U.S.-Mexico border, and these barriers are getting extended where necessary.

I'm well aware of the reality of the border security in place. I just find Trump's claims that it will be 'a wall, not a fence', or that it will be 1000 miles long, and 40 feet high not credible.

A more reasonable set of rhetoric around border protection, involving electronic security measures, patrols, and in some places protective fencing...even the occasional wall...would be far more credible.

But he's spooning out the rhetoric rather than trying to communicate reality, in my opinion.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
That's stretching the intent of the emergency declaration powers way past their intended use.
I wish I could pretend to be surprised.

If one of the President's primary jobs is protecting the borders, which it is, then I think it's totally in line with the extent of his powers. If he's feels it is a crisis, and can make the case (and most probably agree that it is) then it's fair enough that he declares and emergency to deal with the problem. Certainly, the preferred way to deal with it would be to work with the the other elected branches of government to resolve that -- BUT he is under no obligation to do so. Also, if the problems keep going on he takes the brunt of the blame, so there is that.

Whether the invaders have guns, or empty hands begging it's irrelevant.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If one of the President's primary jobs is protecting the borders, which it is, then I think it's totally in line with the extent of his powers. If he's feels it is a crisis, and can make the case (and most probably agree that it is) then it's fair enough that he declares and emergency to deal with the problem. Certainly, the preferred way to deal with it would be to work with the the other elected branches of government to resolve that -- BUT he is under no obligation to do so. Also, if the problems keep going on he takes the brunt of the blame, so there is that.

Whether the invaders have guns, or empty hands begging it's irrelevant.

Is the US in an 'illegal' immigration crisis? Border patrol data suggests otherwise

Mindmaster

Premium Member

The Guardian is a leftist newpaper, and I don't trust "left" or "right" news. :D But, in specific they had printed fake news about Manafort meeting with Assange -- it never happened. God knows what else, that's just off the top of my head.

Eh, the human problem isn't the entirety of the problem -- it's the drugs, criminal elements, and whatnot that frequent the border. Then, comes the other question, is one human life worth 5 billion on a wall? To me, the money is worthless and a single American life is pretty important. I don't understand the nihilistic self-hate, or the voluntarily sacrifice of victims that could have never happened. To me, the wall is too tame -- sniper towers make more sense. But, that's because I believe if someone is breaking into your home you don't have to be nice to them. We're far too nice, we should be dicks. :D

Despite all of this, crossings are down 40% since Trump's election -- I wonder why, oh yeah, probably someone enforcing the damn laws. Using that as grounds to argue against the wall is pretty laughable to me. I'm aware of the number, and I'm also aware that it could be nearly zero if we used the tech, law enforcement, and techniques we have now at full efficiency. A wall is a basic investment that keeps workings for years, from that angle it makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Over the last few years, we are at a 50 year low when it comes to undocumented aliens coming across our southern border. The #1 crisis that should be declared a national emergency is having Donald J. Trump as our president.