• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump to declare national emergency

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
That's stretching the intent of the emergency declaration powers way past their intended use.
I wish I could pretend to be surprised.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Haven't found that he's done it yet. Democrats need to call it, even let him do it, so America can see where Republicans stand as there will no doubt be calls to veto it. It can also give the Republicans fuel to oust him during their primaries because if Trump does it they can use to counter his claim he is a great negotiator, because a national state of emergency for a wall means he can't negotiate.

Daemon Sophic

A small part of me is saying OK go ahead gut the legislative branch of government.
Then when the next first intelligent president who comes along we get to have automatic funding without restraint for
- climate change
- enforcement of gun laws
- wealth taxes
- universal health care
- overspending on the military
- infrastructure
- prison and court reforms

Just so much to do with no bothersome “voice of the people” crap getting in the way of absolute dictatorial power.
Muwaa Haaa Ha Haaaaaa!!
tumblr_n4g7ifroCt1t5bluao1_500.gif

....But then I realise that, “No. Eventually, if Trump hasn’t already ****ed our nation over, the next conservative will finish the job.” :rolleyes:
It looks like were gonna have to remove this bozo from office.

I suppose there’s a tiny chance that the Republicans in the legislature will actually grow enough brains and backbone to recognize that Donny-boy is trying to consolidate power, and neuter him before he gets rolling. Don’t hold your breath.

Last edited:

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There are currently new waves of diseased or criminal Honduran caravans forming; and we all know where they are headed towards.

El-Salvador-Caravan-1540377829.jpg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There are currently new waves of diseased or criminal Honduran caravans forming; and we all know where they are headed towards.

El-Salvador-Caravan-1540377829.jpg

Yeah...so...
If you see this as a national emergency, your country has been in a state of emergency since 1607.

:p

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
A small part of me is saying OK go ahead gut the legislative branch of government.
Then when the next first intelligent president who comes along we get to have automatic funding without restraint for
- climate change
- enforcement of gun laws
- wealth taxes
- universal health care
- overspending on the military
- infrastructure
- prison and court reforms

Just so much to do with no bothersome “voice of the people” crap getting in the way of absolute dictatorial power.
Muwaa Haaa Ha Haaaaaa!!
tumblr_n4g7ifroCt1t5bluao1_500.gif

....But the I realise that, “No. Eventually, if Trump hasn’t already ****ed our nation over, then next conservative will finish the job.” :rolleyes:
It looks like were gonna have to remove this bozo from office.

I suppose there’s a tiny chance that the Republicans in the legislature will actually grow enough brains and backbone to recognize that Donny-boy is trying to consolidate power, and neuter him before he gets rolling. Don’t hold your breath.

Democrats have made some pretty interesting (in my opinion, disappointing) counter-threats about what they'd then do when in power, and how they'd use the same declaration to achieve their goals regardless of Congress support.

Personally, I really hate this particularly modern way of thinking. If someone else is doing something wrong, you saying 'Oh yeah, well then we'll <insert escalation of own action here> doesn't do anything other than lose you the moral high ground.'

It's a crap argument.

If it all heads that way, you just end up with a country that is the poorer for it, imho.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Maybe all the native American tribal nations would have been better off if they'd built great impenetrable walls ....:p
You mean the ones that you can tunnel under, bribe your way through, fly over, use a boat to get around etc?

And oh yes, I know the right will squeal like a stuck pig when the left uses this for different purposes. Because the right invents lies as excuses for non-existent threats. Well, the wind is being sown. Just wait for the whirlwind. It's going to be quite something to behold.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
El Chapo's seized assets from his illegal drug operations should help pay for completing the wall!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I call it being such a bad negotiator that he has to pull from the fascist handbook. Which is really what he wanted from the job anyway. Control without checks. He's in for a rude awakening.

The rude awakening will come if people don't listen to Trump. All it takes is a few unabated illegals coming over the border that shouldn't. Of course on the alternative side, I'm sure the Democrats are more than willing to take the blame for half done shoddy border security measures if this country suffers the results of major security breaches should a another major tragedy occur that can be arguably averted by doing the right thing in the first place

Skwim

Veteran Member
My prediction: Which, really, is all that counts.

If a national emergency is declared, any monies allocated for the wall will be immediately frozen and withdrawn by at least the first day the new President takes office in two years.

Last edited: