• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Tax Returns - Does it Really Matter to You?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Much has been made over Trump releasing his tax returns and there has been a lot of noise from the democrats and political opponents and recently a democratic 2020 presidential hopeful vowed he'd release his for the last seven years but who cares? Trump was freely and fairly elected without releasing his tax returns.

A few questions:

-Why is it important to some that Trump release his tax returns

-Do you think the renewed calls are politically motivated since the Mueller report didn't work out the way democrats wanted?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

-Do you think the renewed calls are politically motivated since the Mueller report didn't work out the way democrats wanted?
The 2nd question answers the first.

Very few people know how to read a tax return more complicated than a 1040EZ.
Even my own is TLTR.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Much has been made over Trump releasing his tax returns and there has been a lot of noise from the democrats and political opponents and recently a democratic 2020 presidential hopeful vowed he'd release his for the last seven years but who cares? Trump was freely and fairly elected without releasing his tax returns.

A few questions:

Well, I suppose some people want to "look under the hood," so to speak. I'm not sure what they expect to find out, though. The IRS already has the returns, so if there was anything illegal, they would have known about it and (presumably) brought forth some sort of charges.

Other than that, I guess it's just a matter of wanting to know as much about an individual as possible, just as any employer would want to know about a prospective employee. So, if people want a candidate's school records, medical records, driving records, criminal record (if any), birth certificate, etc., then I guess it's fair game to ask for that, too. But it doesn't require any candidate to actually release any of these documents.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

A few questions:

I've been one of Donald J. Trump's earliest political supporters knowing full well he isn't going to willingly release his tax returns. So then, for me, this isn't an important issue. ...:)

I suppose, this is an important issue for those who want to use class-envy warfare to divide our nation. This may also be an important issue to our POTUS' political adversaries who once again want to go on a political fishing expedition in order to find information that would delegitimize Trump's Presidency. ...:eek:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A few questions:

Since the President isn't legally required to avoid conflicts of interest, pretty much the only mechanism to police a President who's improperly acting in his own interest is to vote him out.

In order for the public to know whether a conflict of interest occurred, the American people need to know what the President's pecuniary interests are. His tax return would be a good first start for this.

Also, with this particular President, his tax return may provide evidence of, at best, lying to the American people and, at worst, crimes.

The calls never stopped, so I'm not sure how you could say they were "renewed."

The Democrats only got control of the House with the midterms, so they weren't in a position to subpoena anything until this year. IIRC, the relevant committees moved to subpoena Trump's tax returns as quickly as they could, and before the Mueller report was submitted.

And I think it's much too early to say that the Mueller report "didn't work out the way the Democrats wanted."

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

A few questions:

You believe Barr???? I have a bridge to sell you.

I want to know if Trump committed a crime. The law allows Congress to see his returns. And if people refuse to obey the law, LOCK THEM UP

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I've been one of Donald J. Trump's earliest political supporters knowing full well he isn't going to willingly release his tax returns. So then, for me, this isn't an important issue. ...:)

I suppose, this is an important issue for those who want to use class-envy warfare to divide our nation. This may also be an important issue to our POTUS' political adversaries who once again want to go on a political fishing expedition in order to find information that would delegitimize Trump's Presidency. ...:eek:
It was delegitimized when he lost the popular vote.

dianaiad

A few questions:

It's not. We knew who Trump was before he was elected, and he was elected. Since the IRS didn't prosecute him for tax fraud for any of those returns, then...they aren't anybody's business but his and the IRS'. If they (the IRS) want's to back track and prosecute him for tax fraud now, that's their problem.

Let's see and think a nano-second.

yep. That should be astoundingly obvious even to the most partisan left wing hysteric.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It was delegitimized when he lost the popular vote.
As a foreigner, you're likely not aware that the popular vote does not
determine the winner in an election here. We use the Electoral College
system, under which Trump was the clear victor. Although many here
dislike Trump & our legal method of election, he is nonetheless President.
One shouldn't confuse desire with reality.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Because most of us do expect that our president be an honest person as he promised numerous times they'd be released, plus it's important to know of his foreign connections and even some of his domestic ones that might indicate dishonesty. IOW, the release of the tax returns is a means to determine if he's been doing some shady stuff.

Do you think the renewed calls are politically motivated since the Mueller report didn't work out the way democrats wanted?
The report hasn't even been released, so how could it "work out" one way or the other.

So, here's the questions back at ya, slightly modified:

-Why are you and the Pubs so afraid of Trump's tax returns being released, at least to Congress, thus defending Trump's repeated lies that he would release them?

-Why are you seemingly blaming the Dems for trying to get at the Mueller report even though you have not seen them nor know what Mueller's conclusions may contain?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Last time I checked, the U.S. electoral college system is what Constitutionally determines who legitimately gets to serve as our POTUS. ...:)
"Legal" does not necessarily equal "legitimate." Trump was appointed based on legal technicalities, not a mandate from the American voters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because most of us do expect that our president be an honest person as he promised numerous times....
I think this is an error. Most of us know that campaign promises aren't really promises.
They're things said to win an election, a wish list for future accomplishments, outright
lies, prevarications, pablum, pandering, & occasionally an intended agenda.
We know that a campaign platform will differ from actual agendas in office.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

A few questions:

I think Trump is embarrassed that he isn't nearly as wealthy as he claims. So, I care because I like to see morally bankrupt men like Trump embarrassed. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect to gain too much from them.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
As a foreigner, you're likely not aware that the popular vote does not
determine the winner in an election here. We use the Electoral College
system, under which Trump was the clear victor. Although many here
dislike Trump & our legal method of election, he is nonetheless President.
One shouldn't confuse desire with reality.
Kim Jong Un's election was also legal by the laws of his country. People given the issue more than a bit of consideration recognize the difference between legality and legitimacy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Legal" does not necessarily equal "legitimate." Trump was appointed based on legal technicalities, not a mandate from the American voters.
No candidate running had a majority of votes in this election.
But even a plurality doesn't mean a win.
We have a system which has been in place for centuries.
Democrats weren't complaining when the polls indicated her
guaranteed win. I'll wager they wouldn't have complained if
the EC had crowned her. But because they lost, only now do
they claim the system is "illegitimate". Mere sour grapes, eh.