• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump says Iran made ‘big mistake’ by taking down US drone

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
How did Iran respond when we shot down their civilian flight 655?
(We killed 290 people, 66 of whom were children.)
We've lost an unmanned drone which might or might not have been in their airspace.
Perhaps we should show at least as much restraint as they have.
And we must value their sovereignty, lives & welfare too...not dismiss them as irrelevant.
Otherwise we've demonstrated the necessity of their gaining nuclear weapons & delivery systems.

I can't believe some of the war-mongering posts on this thread.
I guess that this is how the last war got going........

I's forgotten about flight 655.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I remember the Iranian hostage crisis when they took over our embassy and paraded our people around in blindfolds in front of hostile crowds. That happened under Carter. That's what cost him a second term.

Believe me, I have no love for Iran. But if we weren't willing to go to war with Iran back then, why now?

I thought that a very dodgy US mission in to Iranian territory went horribly wrong, with aircraft crashing and many lives lost. Didn't Carter resign over that?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Boss Tweed never anticipated Trump.
Loathed though he be, Trump is clearly someone who rose to
power without any cabal placing him there. Voters did that.
So I say that voting works...just not always for the better.

Yeah, it was a fluke. Nothing ever goes perfectly.

I keep hearing about this MIC, but no one has ever presented
any evidence that this super secret super power even exists.

Btw, I worked in the defense industry, & never saw this fabled
control over government. What have you seen?

Eisenhower mentioned it, and it's been used in a variety of contexts.

It's not unheard or anything unprecedented for government officials to take bribes to give favorable arrangements to government contractors. It's happened in lower levels of government and other departments. I don't see what would make the Defense Department so immune to this kind of thing. And I doubt any of those companies would tell their employees if they were involved in any shady deals.

Do you vote?

Of course I do.

Attack a foreign country...kill them off....steal their resources...& sell'm cheap
to the teeming masses at home, eh. How could that go wrong!

It was just a hypothetical. You were asking how could it happen and how Trump could benefit. That outlines one possible way.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought that a very dodgy US mission in to Iranian territory went horribly wrong, with aircraft crashing and many lives lost. Didn't Carter resign over that?

He didn't resign, but he was defeated in 1980 by Ronald Reagan.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I wouldn't be surprised if our leadership never even heard of it.

We do this as well, you know.
...have done, anyway.

And our countries seem to ignore International guidance and opinion whenever it suits us.

If something bloody stupid happens, and when (some) folks are telling us all how things went wrong, they might benefit from being made to read posts that they wtrote here, now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Eisenhower mentioned it, and it's been used in a variety of contexts.
Eisenhower was a politician.
They tend to say things for political effect, independent of reality.
Is it true because people often claim it?
If that were a cromulent method, then it would be
objective proof that Jesus Christ is my lord & savior.
It's not unheard or anything unprecedented for government officials to take bribes to give favorable arrangements to government contractors. It's happened in lower levels of government and other departments. I don't see what would make the Defense Department so immune to this kind of thing. And I doubt any of those companies would tell their employees if they were involved in any shady deals.
Which contractors bribed which officials?
How would bribed Defense Dept types manipulate our elections?
Of course I do.
If leaders are picked by the MIC, why bother?
It was just a hypothetical. You were asking how could it happen and how Trump could benefit. That outlines one possible way.
The only potential benefit I see for Trump in attacking Iran is
that voters & other politicians might fall in line to support the war
by supporting him. But that's not without its risks.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
...have done, anyway.

And our countries seem to ignore International guidance and opinion whenever it suits us.

If something bloody stupid happens, and when (some) folks are telling us all how things went wrong, they might benefit from being made to read posts that they wtrote here, now.
International guidance isn't all it's cracked up to be either.
Remember that your country went in halvsies on that
1953 coup in Iran. You guys are corrupt idiots too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It appears that Trump had already initiated the war, but then backed off.
In the news....
Trump Approves Strikes on Iran, but Then Abruptly Pulls Back
Excerpted....
WASHINGTON — President Trump approved military strikes against Iran in retaliation for downing an American surveillance drone, but pulled back from launching them on Thursday night after a day of escalating tensions.

As late as 7 p.m., military and diplomatic officials were expecting a strike, after intense discussions and debate at the White House among the president’s top national security officials and congressional leaders, according to multiple senior administration officials involved in or briefed on the deliberations.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Nonsense, this isn't an action movie. It is easy for you and me to sit back and talk casually about war but there is nothing casual about killing people. We need to return to the negotiating table and start talking this out.

The problem with people like @Landon Caeli is that he is on the internet suggesting war like its Call of Duty. Until he has an M-16 in his hand and is actually getting shot at by 5.56 rounds I wouldn't take his opinion serious.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
...have done, anyway.

Yes, but our motives were pure . . . weren't they?

james dixon

Premium Member
Wars ranked by total number of U.S. military deaths

Rank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,War.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Years.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,total deaths

1 American Revolutionary War ----------------- 2,500,000

2 War of 1812–15 ------------------------------------ 8,000,000

3 Mexican–American War 1846–48 ---------- 21,406,000

4 American Civil War 1861–65 ----------------- 31,443,000

5 World War I 1917–18 ------------------------- 103,268,000

6 World War II 1941–45 ------------------------ 133,402,000

7 Korean War 1950–53 ------------------------- 151,325,000

8 Vietnam War 1961–75 ----------------------- 179,323,175

9 Iraq War 2003–2011 --------------------------294,043,000

10 Trump's war <:>?

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Can you bomb dead civilians back to life? Or repair infrastructure with bombs? Heal psychological trauma with bombs? Enough with these emotionally stunted G.I. Joe/Rambo ego gratification fantasies. This is real life.

Counter-Electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP), can zap Iranian military with high-power microwaves, rendering their military capabilities virtually useless without causing any fatalities,

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wars ranked by total number of U.S. military deaths

Rank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,War.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Years.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,total deaths

1 American Revolutionary War ----------------- 2,500,000

2 War of 1812–15 ------------------------------------ 8,000,000

3 Mexican–American War 1846–48 ---------- 21,406,000

4 American Civil War 1861–65 ----------------- 31,443,000

5 World War I 1917–18 ------------------------- 103,268,000

6 World War II 1941–45 ------------------------ 133,402,000

7 Korean War 1950–53 ------------------------- 151,325,000

8 Vietnam War 1961–75 ----------------------- 179,323,175

9 Iraq War 2003–2011 --------------------------294,043,000

10 Trump's war <:>?

You might want to recheck your numbers. For example you Iraq war deaths are greater than the entire U.S. population in 2003:

us ppulation 2003 - Google Search

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The problem with people like @Landon Caeli is that he is on the internet suggesting war like its Call of Duty. Until he has an M-16 in his hand and is actually getting shot at by 5.56 rounds I wouldn't take his opinion serious.

Counter-Electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project (CHAMP), can be launched over Iranian airspace at low altitude and emit sharp pulses of high power microwave energy that disable any electronic devices targeted. These missiles could zap the military electronics of Iran with high-power microwaves, rendering their military capabilities virtually useless without there having anybody getting killed by this weapon.

Counter-electronics High Power Microwave Advanced Missile Project - Wikipedia

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
They're a hostile regime. Their current administration can be easily replaced.
That led to a myriad forms of disaster back in the 1950s, not least among those the ruination of the moral standing of the USA in Iran. There is absolutely no reason to expect it to work any better now.