• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump says Iran made ‘big mistake’ by taking down US drone

sooda

Veteran Member
Those I know from there & still there just want prosperity & peace.
Ameristan seems dedicated to seeing they won't get it.

Don't ever confuse the Iranian government with the Iranian people. Two close friends from Iran who go home every year for 2 months are fearful of talking about the issues. They say, "In our family we NEVER discuss it".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That seems sensible.
An unprovoked attack upon a country aspiring to nuclear weapons
does have its risks. And they're more than just releasing radioactive
material into the environment. We've been attacking them for over half
a century, staging a coup, regime change, killing hundreds of thousands,
& devastating their economy.
I can think of no better way to incentivize their securing nuclear weapons
from either Russia, China or Pakistan. Nuclear capability is a clear means
to ensure we won't attack. The aforementioned countries know this.
So does N Korea. No matter their threats against us, Trump fetes their
dear leader. Why? Nukes. Our enemies learn from this.
So I advise eschewing making enemies in the first place.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't ever confuse the Iranian government with the Iranian people.
Don't ever presume that I do.
Two close friends from Iran who go home every year for 2 months are fearful of talking about the issues. They say, "In our family we NEVER discuss it".
You're not alone in having Iranian connections.
But since you do, I'd expect more empathy for them,
& more distaste for our continually attacking them,
with the risk of escalation into all out war.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
An unprovoked attack upon a country aspiring to nuclear weapons
does have its risks. And they're more than just releasing radioactive
material into the environment. We've been attacking them for over half
a century, staging a coup, regime change, killing hundreds of thousands,
& devastating their economy.
I can think of no better way to incentivize their securing nuclear weapons
from either Russia, China or Pakistan. Nuclear capability is a clear means
to ensure we won't attack. The aforementioned countries know this.
So does N Korea. No matter their threats against us, Trump fetes their
dear leader. Why? Nukes. Our enemies learn from this.
So I advise eschewing making enemies in the first place.
Avoid making enemies? Are you mad? Damn you sir and your common sense. As a good Christian American I will partake of no such thing as common sense! Poppycock I say, sheer poppycock!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Avoid making enemies? Are you mad? Damn you sir and your common sense. As a good Christian American I will partake of no such thing as common sense! Poppycock I say, sheer poppycock!
It's surreal.
As I recall, I'm the only weapon system designer (former) on the forum.
Yet here I am arguing against using the very tools I've enabled.
I believe in peace & self defense, not in this insane desire to wage war.
I just don't understand war lust....the desire to kill without regard for others.

sooda

Veteran Member
I am going to bed in a minute as I have a busy day tomorrow. I leave you in good faith to question WHY the Iran /Iraq war.
Causes - The Iran-Iraq War
https://iran-iraq.weebly.com/causes.html
Short Term Causes. Thus the Iranian Revolution weakened Iran to external forces but also replaced it with a regime that was perceived by Iraq to be more hostile than ever. Without the Iranian Revolution in 1979, the war would not have occurred the following year or likely at all.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am going to bed in a minute as I have a busy day tomorrow. I leave you in good faith to question WHY the Iran /Iraq war.
Causes - The Iran-Iraq War
https://iran-iraq.weebly.com/causes.html
Short Term Causes. Thus the Iranian Revolution weakened Iran to external forces but also replaced it with a regime that was perceived by Iraq to be more hostile than ever. Without the Iranian Revolution in 1979, the war would not have occurred the following year or likely at all.
And why did they revolt?
Because in 1953 we replaced their elected leader with the Shah.
We set the stage for revolution, & bear direct responsibility for that result.
Also, Iraq was not attacked, therefore their attack upon Iran was predatory rather than provoked.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
It's surreal.
As I recall, I'm the only weapon system designer (former) on the forum.
Yet here I am arguing against using the very tools I've enabled.
I believe in peace & self defense, not in this insane desire to wage war.
I just don't understand war lust....the desire to kill without regard for others.
It's exasperating. It's like they don't understand the price that we will keep on paying for decades if not centuries. A vicious cycle continues.

siti

Background

In 1984, the war between Iraq and Iran had expanded to include air attacks against oil tankers and merchant shipping of neighboring countries, some of whom were providing aid to Iraq by shipping Iraqi oil. The Flight 655 incident occurred a year after the Iraqi Air Force attack on the U.S. Navy guided-missile frigate USS Stark on 17 May 1987
Hang on...so you are arguing that because Iraq (whose side the US was on as I recall) mistakenly shot up a US warship, it was perfectly in order for the US to respond by mistakenly shooting down an Iranian passenger aircraft? I declare I'm having trouble following the logic...as indeed I did at the time...and I think you also forgot to mention that the official reason for the error was that the Captain of the USS Vincennes believed he was being targetted by an Iranian F-14 Tomcat - I wonder where Iran might have got one of those from? Of course they didn't get one - they got 80 - courtesy of a deal between the Shah and Tricky Dicky. Of course these fell into the hands of the 'enemy' after the Revolution and they're still using them - most recently in Syria supporting Russian air strikes. So it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that after all this time, a US vessel might find itself on the wrong end of an F-14s weapons system for real.

When you put things in "context" you should remember to put them in context I think...and that we weren't all born yesterday!

Last edited:

leov

We need to take whatever steps are necessary to deescalate this situation. The last thing we need is another earmed conflict in the Middle East.
Trump just want to make better oil profits, Not the first time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oil went 6 % up today. US produces slightly more than 50% of what it needs. It buys and sells oil, buy low sell high. They just tripped their oil imports from Russia, time to take profit.
Here are some problems with that claim....

Trump is facing re-election.
If a spike in pump prices is blamed on him, it weakens him politically.
Doesn't seem like something he'd want.

We still buy oil from other countries.
A price increase would mean a cost increase to the country.
This would increase profits for some, but overall a profit reduction.
Why want this?

leov

You know it might just be something more irrational and more visceral. It might just be plain human "bloodlust". Because none of this **** makes sense to me.
It always may be the case. Truth is they all love it: US, Russia, Iran, Iraq, SA.