• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump says Iran made ‘big mistake’ by taking down US drone

Cooky

Veteran Member
Well, if the powers that be decide to go to war, then that's what will happen. I don't really see the point of it, though. What do we have to gain by any of this? It's not as if we're going to annex Iran and make it an American colony.

Maybe America should just conquer the entire world. That would solve all the world's problems.

Remember when they captured some of our sailors and paraded them around like trophies?

...That happened under Obama, I believe.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I'd favor an aerial bombardment of an Iranian facility linked to its nuclear program, this bombing should be massive but limited to this specific target,"

sooda

Veteran Member
Maybe, although it might be better if we calculate the possible response from other major powers. If we act unilaterally, we could find ourselves in a serious quagmire. Other nations might get involved. It's not something we should enter into lightly.

I don't think we have a very strong casus belli here.

I think differently. If we must respond to Iran's provocations, I think we should hit them hard enough with airstrikes to cow them.

I am a very peaceful person and always willing to walk away, but if forced to fight, you must hit them so hard they don't get up and hit you again.

sooda

Veteran Member
Geez! I thought your were being ironic or sardonic or something - but there really are people who think like you...and you really are one of them!!?? :(

Iran funds Hezbollah, HAMAS and the al Houthis, but they don't do direct conflict themselves.. They "swarm" and pester.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think differently. If we must respond to Iran's provocations, I think we should hit them hard enough with airstrikes to cow them.

I am a very peaceful person and always willing to walk away, but if forced to fight, you must hit them so hard they don't get up and hit you again.
How did Iran respond when we shot down their civilian flight 655?
(We killed 290 people, 66 of whom were children.)
We've lost an unmanned drone which might or might not have been in their airspace.
Perhaps we should show at least as much restraint as they have.
And we must value their sovereignty, lives & welfare too...not dismiss them as irrelevant.
Otherwise we've demonstrated the necessity of their gaining nuclear weapons & delivery systems.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Remember when they captured some of our sailors and paraded them around like trophies?

...That happened under Obama, I believe.

I remember the Iranian hostage crisis when they took over our embassy and paraded our people around in blindfolds in front of hostile crowds. That happened under Carter. That's what cost him a second term.

Believe me, I have no love for Iran. But if we weren't willing to go to war with Iran back then, why now?

sooda

Veteran Member
With drones as well I shouldn't wonder! But anyway I wasn't making a case to the International War Crimes Tribunal, I was regretting the gung-ho mentality of some of my fellow human beings.

I get that.. I am not gung ho for war at all, but I think Iran is really pushing it.. and I wonder if they are insane.

They straddle the oil corridor from the Caspian to the Persian Gulf and yet they can't stop provoking the neighbors? Why? Israel bought oil from Iran until 1979.

Why muck up every peace initiative for the Palestinians? Why cripple Lebanon?
How did Iran respond when we shot down their civilian flight 655?
(We killed 290 people, 66 of whom were children.)
We've lost an unmanned drone which might or might not have been in their airspace.
Perhaps we should show at least as much restraint as they have.
Otherwise we've demonstrated the necessity of their gaining nuclear weapons & delivery systems.

Do you remember context?

sooda

Veteran Member
With drones as well I shouldn't wonder! But anyway I wasn't making a case to the International War Crimes Tribunal, I was regretting the gung-ho mentality of some of my fellow human beings.

I am speaking of long before there were any drones.

sooda

Veteran Member
Yes.
Do you believe that we were justified?
How did Iran respond?

Background

In 1984, the war between Iraq and Iran had expanded to include air attacks against oil tankers and merchant shipping of neighboring countries, some of whom were providing aid to Iraq by shipping Iraqi oil. The Flight 655 incident occurred a year after the Iraqi Air Force attack on the U.S. Navy guided-missile frigate USS Stark on 17 May 1987, which killed 37 American sailors. U.S. naval forces had also exchanged gunfire with Iranian gunboats in late 1987, and the U.S. Navy guided-missile frigate USS Samuel B. Roberts had struck an Iranian sea mine in April 1988. Two months before the incident, the U.S. had engaged in Operation Praying Mantis...…………...

For the downing of the aircraft.

As part of the settlement, even though the U.S. government did not admit legal liability or formally apologize to Iran, it still agreed to pay US$61.8 million on an ex gratia basis, amounting to $213,103.45 per passenger, in compensation to the families of the Iranian victims.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, it's not just Iran we're talking about here. Russia and Iran have had historical ties going back centuries. Iran appears to be hoping to gain Russian sympathy and possibly their protection/intervention in the event of a US invasion of Iran. China may also respond.

I think Iran is well aware of the power of the US military and what we could do. The issue is not Iran, not in the grand scheme of things. We may be overextending our reach here.

Now, if the Iranians did something truly aggressive, which can be verified and proven, that would be different. At this point, we're just dealing with a lot of maybes and speculation.

On the other hand, this could be Trump's way of getting the Iranians to come to the bargaining table to make a new deal. He could be willing to overlook this incident and lift sanctions on Iran if they reimburse the cost of the drone, reimburse the cost of the tankers, end their nuclear weapons program, and require every member of the Iranian government to wear a "Make America Great Again" cap for the next year.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Background

In 1984, the war between Iraq and Iran had expanded to include air attacks against oil tankers and merchant shipping of neighboring countries, some of whom were providing aid to Iraq by shipping Iraqi oil. The Flight 655 incident occurred a year after the Iraqi Air Force attack on the U.S. Navy guided-missile frigate USS Stark on 17 May 1987, which killed 37 American sailors. U.S. naval forces had also exchanged gunfire with Iranian gunboats in late 1987, and the U.S. Navy guided-missile frigate USS Samuel B. Roberts had struck an Iranian sea mine in April 1988. Two months before the incident, the U.S. had engaged in Operation Praying Mantis...…………...

For the downing of the aircraft.

As part of the settlement, even though the U.S. government did not admit legal liability or formally apologize to Iran, it still agreed to pay US$61.8 million on an ex gratia basis, amounting to $213,103.45 per passenger, in compensation to the families of the Iranian victims.
Would you be happy getting a couple hundred thousand dollars for each
family member killed? And not even an apology? No one punished?
No one even said "Ooopsies!". Just de minimis lucre tossed from the carriage.

Also be aware of why Iraq attacked Iran, ie, it was a US proxy war.
We supplied Iraq with military assistance, including the kind of WMDs we
severely criticize others for using. We set the stage for this "accident",
& intentionally killed hundreds of thousands of Iranians in the war.

sooda

Veteran Member
Well, it's not just Iran we're talking about here. Russia and Iran have had historical ties going back centuries. Iran appears to be hoping to gain Russian sympathy and possibly their protection/intervention in the event of a US invasion of Iran. China may also respond.

I think Iran is well aware of the power of the US military and what we could do. The issue is not Iran, not in the grand scheme of things. We may be overextending our reach here.

Now, if the Iranians did something truly aggressive, which can be verified and proven, that would be different. At this point, we're just dealing with a lot of maybes and speculation.

On the other hand, this could be Trump's way of getting the Iranians to come to the bargaining table to make a new deal. He could be willing to overlook this incident and lift sanctions on Iran if they reimburse the cost of the drone, reimburse the cost of the tankers, end their nuclear weapons program, and require every member of the Iranian government to wear a "Make America Great Again" cap for the next year.

Trump trashed the agreement Obama made with the Iranians over developing nuclear power. He's an effing moron. He should have built upon that agreement.. and could have. .. mitigating Iranian support of Hezbollah, HAMAS and al Houthis.

Trump's lack of education and interest in world affairs is a HUGE handicap.

sooda

Veteran Member
Would you be happy getting a couple hundred thousand dollars for each
family member killed? And not even an apology? No one punished?
No one even said "Ooopsies!". Just de minimis lucre tossed from the carriage.

Also be aware of why Iraq attacked Iran, ie, it was a US proxy war.
We supplied Iraq with military assistance, including the kind of WMDs we
severely criticize others for using. We set the stage for this "accident",
& intentionally killed hundreds of thousands of Iranians in the war.

Yes, I know.. Dual Containment Policy. What do you think Iran wanted in Iraq?