• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Trump says he still won’t release his tax returns"

Skwim

Veteran Member
"President-elect Trump became the first major presidential candidate in decades not to release his tax returns. Just days before taking office, he still refused to release his returns and claimed that the issue only matters to reporters.

When asked during his news conference about releasing his tax returns, Trump returned to some of the familiar explanations he and his associates gave during the campaign, when they offered a litany of excuses* to account for the decision.

“I’m not releasing the tax returns because as you know they’re under audit,” he said Wednesday.

The IRS has said that nothing, including an audit, would prevent someone from sharing tax information, and Trump’s tax attorneys have said that his tax returns predating 2009 are no longer being audited.

Trump then went on to claim that this is only an issue for the media rather than the American people.

“The only one that cares about my tax returns are the reporters,” he said. When asked if the American people care about the issue, he pointed to his narrow victory and said: “I won. I became president. I mean, I don’t think they care at all.”

Polls have shown that this is false. Six out of 10 Americans said that Trump has a responsibility to release his returns, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted earlier this month."
source

*"Excuses that Trump and his supporters have given for not releasing tax returns

Trump: “I’m being audited … so I can’t.” (See next section.) (Repeatedly since February)

Trump: “There’s nothing to learn from them.” (Fact-checkers say this is false.) (February, February, May, May)

Trump: “Mitt Romney looked like a fool when he delayed and delayed and delayed and … didn’t file until a month and a half before the election and it cost him big league.” (February, July)

Trump: His tax rate is “none of your business.” (May)

Paul Manafort, former campaign chairman: American people “wouldn’t understand them.” (May)

Manafort: The only people who want them “are the people who want to defeat him.” (May)

Trump: “I don’t think anybody cares.” (Polls show this is false.) (May, September)

Eric Trump, son: Would be “foolish” to release; “you would have a bunch of people who know nothing about taxes trying to look through and trying to come up with assumptions on things that they know nothing about.” (August)

Mike Pence, vice-presidential nominee who released his tax returns: They’re a “distraction.” (September)

Donald Trump Jr.: “Would distract from (his dad’s) main message.” (September)

Kellyanne Conway, campaign manager: “I just can’t find where this is a burning issue to most of the Americans.” (In April, before joining his campaign, Conway said, “Donald Trump’s tax returns aren’t … transparent” and called for their release.) (September)

Jeffrey Lord, commentator: Tax returns are “a political gimmick, a gotcha … Political opponents are going to go through there and look to make issues out of things.” (September)

Trump Jr.: “There’s a lot in a 12,000-page tax return that wouldn’t make sense to open up.” (September)

Trump: “You will learn more about Donald Trump” by looking at his financial disclosure forms than by looking at tax returns. (Fact-checkers say this is false.) (September)

Rudy Giuliani, Trump surrogate: “The way all of you are treating this is a very good indication of why someone might not want to release their tax returns.” (October)

Trump: Blames Clinton for fact he doesn’t pay taxes: “A lot of my write-off was depreciation, and that, Hillary as a senator, allowed. The people that give her all this money want it.” (As a senator, Clinton did vote to close tax loopholes — including one Trump may have used to pay no federal income taxes.) (October)​

What do you think: should he be required to or not?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I gave up on politicians having integrity after this election cycle.
Why did you wait so long?
To be afflicted with an unreasonable expectation of integrity can lead one to
crying jags, calls for gov news regulation, threats to emigrate, & Russiophobia.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
A broken promise by a politician?
Oh, the horror!

He'd be crazy to honor the promise anyway.
Further to this is the "fact checked" meme that Trump is the biggest liar to ever to be elected to public office and this is supposed to be a surprise? Aside, it's not like folks are required to publish their tax returns.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Either, doesn't matter.
Right, it doesn't matter. Here is the thing. At this point, his personal finances aren't a concern of mine. There is an entire department of people who work with the national budget and then it has to get passed. If you are concerned about wasteful spending related to the big picture, it is going to happen. It has happened with every administration (some more than others). We will have to see what happens. From my comfy seat, his personal budget and how he spends his money is really none of my business.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
The release or not off Trumps taxes will not affect anything. The information in his tax returns though, may or may not have relevance on financial and international issues. @Quetzal

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do his tax returns impact the way he governs?
I suspect there were a lot of loopholes he took advantage of to get tax breaks and such. Maybe he found a way to not pay taxes at all through those loopholes. Givin his ego, he might not be as wealthy as he implies, or he regards something like tax returns as personal and private and not intended for public disclosure.

I don't see how governing anyways has to do with how much someone makes and pays in personal taxes. Seems tit for tat to me.

I suspect Hillary had her return "doctored" for public release. Maybe Trump should release some info just to shut people up who are going on over It.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suspect there were a lot of loopholes he took advantage of to get tax breaks and such. Maybe he found a way to not pay taxes at all through those loopholes. Givin his ego, he might not be as wealthy as he implies, or he regards something like tax returns as personal and private and not intended for public disclosure.

I don't see how governing anyways has to do with how much someone makes and pays in personal taxes. Seems tit for tat to me.

I suspect Hillary had her return "doctored" for public release. Maybe Trump should release some info just to shut people up who are going on over It.
What is the definition of "loophole"?
How does it differ from other ways to minimize taxes in the code?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

This is a genuine concern on the incoming administration, I highly doubt those loop holes will go away. Trump and many in his cabinet benefit from such things. Then again, would Hillary have gotten rid of it? I am not convinced.