• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump representing Christianity in the US...

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But being a gay man commonly under the gun for wanting to be able to get married, by people with a divorce or two under their own belt, it was no big surprise to me.
Tom
Come to Canada -- we'll happily marry you, here, and celebrate the happy event with you!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I see Pope Francis as 100% the opposite of what you assert. By his words and deeds, he is closer to what Jesus is supposed to have said and done than any pope I know of.
You are, in fact, quite correct. The problem, however, is that many like @Mindmaster would do to any real Christian (or even to Christ Himself) what the Grand Inquisitor in Doestoevsky's Brothers Karamazov did. Today's Christianity simply could not accept the Christ depicted in the Bible.

Faithofchristian

Yours has been around and been practiced more often. I see you weren't able to find me a country from any point in history that flourished thanks to your worldview. Israel thought it was the bees' knees and it kept getting shafted every other week. Clearly, that worldview doesn't ensure national survival.

I no longer concede what others tell me about Jesus. I just read it for myself. Don't blame me the bible is poorly written.

Conservatives wear flag clothing which is against flag code. Conservatives now threaten others with, LOL, tiki torches. At least villains should break it down old school, with ACTUAL torches and pitchforks and the like. What's next: LED "burning" crosses?

Vee:

I follow God's FB page. He is truly a wonder to behold. More people should follow His FB page. :)

Ouch. I agree with Sin about something.

;)

I haven't. I have lots of fantasies. I am just not interested in sex, period. I don't hate on people who actually want it (with consenting adult humans).

That's your whole problem, you read, but still don't understand what your reading.

You treat the bible like any other book, Which just shows your ignorance of lack of having any understanding what the Bible is actually about.

Faithofchristian

A fascinating statement. "More of a Christian?" How did Christ tell you to treat your enemies? Is firing people, calling them idiots and losers, just exactly like "turning the other cheek?" Do you see Trump "doing good to those who despitefully" use him? Never, not once, not in a billion years.

So what, exactly, is it that you think makes him so much more Christian (which ought to mean "Christ-like") than everybody else?

Seeing you have No idea what it means to love your enemies.

To love your enemies, does not mean you stand by and let them walk all over you.No

You correct your enemies in the error of their way. If it takes picking up a big club and knock them in the head, to show your enemies that your not their walk on.

But then your philosophy would be to lay down and let people walk all over you.
Like a rug they can wipe their feet on.

That's your mentality, not to stand up for yourself. But let your enemies treat you like a door mat.That they can wipe their feet on.

Faithofchristian

A fascinating statement. "More of a Christian?" How did Christ tell you to treat your enemies? Is firing people, calling them idiots and losers, just exactly like "turning the other cheek?" Do you see Trump "doing good to those who despitefully" use him? Never, not once, not in a billion years.

So what, exactly, is it that you think makes him so much more Christian (which ought to mean "Christ-like") than everybody else?

Had you any common sense, as to how to treat your enemies. You sure do not lay down and let your enemies walk all over you.
Christ Jesus set fourth the example how to treat your enemies. If your enemies come to attack you, You sure don't just stand there letting them take advantage of you.

You pick up a big club and knock them in the head, to show your enemies to have Respect for you.

But then in your case, you would stand there like an idiot and let them wipe their feet on you. Like a door mat.

People like you, are amazing, that have no idea what Christ Jesus confirm's, As to how to treat your enemies.

Your idea of what a Christian should be. Is totally insane.
If I had an enemy that came at me to do hurt, I'm sure not going to stand there.
I'll pick up a big club and knock them right up against their heads. To show them, to have Respect.
That's how you love your enemies, You correct them in the error of their way.

So when Abraham went out against those 3 kings, and destroyed them.
In your book, Abraham should haved ran to them loving on them.

No Abraham took his men and went out and corrected them in the error of their way.
Don't tread on me or my family.
What about king David, went against Goliath, David sure didn't go out loving on Goliath. No
king David pick few good stones and knock Goliath right in the head, correcting his enemies in the error of their way.

Thats how you love your enemies, by correcting them in the error of their way.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Had you any common sense, as to how to treat your enemies. You sure do not lay down and let your enemies walk all over you.
Christ Jesus set fourth the example how to treat your enemies. If your enemies come to attack you, You sure don't just stand there letting them take advantage of you.

You pick up a big club and knock them in the head, to show your enemies to have Respect for you.

But then in your case, you would stand there like an idiot and let them wipe their feet on you. Like a door mat.

People like you, are amazing, that have no idea what Christ Jesus confirm's, As to how to treat your enemies.

Your idea of what a Christian should be. Is totally insane.
If I had an enemy that came at me to do hurt, I'm sure not going to stand there.
I'll pick up a big club and knock them right up against their heads. To show them, to have Respect.
That's how you love your enemies, You correct them in the error of their way.

So when Abraham went out against those 3 kings, and destroyed them.
In your book, Abraham should haved ran to them loving on them.

No Abraham took his men and went out and corrected them in the error of their way.
Don't tread on me or my family.
What about king David, went against Goliath, David sure didn't go out loving on Goliath. No
king David pick few good stones and knock Goliath right in the head, correcting his enemies in the error of their way.

Thats how you love your enemies, by correcting them in the error of their way.

Maybe instead of running to the old testament, Maybe you should go to the new testament which Christians are under.

The old testament is for Israel.
But then you showed yourself of not knowing what the new testament Supports and confirm's.
Therefore show one book, Chapter and Verse's in the new testament.

Let's do this again. JESUS WAS CRUCIFIED, AND COMMANDED HIS FOLLOWERS TO PICK UP THEIR CROSSES AS WELL; WHY DIDN'T HE JUST ASSEMBLE AN ARMY WITH THOSE DISCIPLES, AND KILL HIS ENEMIES?

Faithofchristian

Let's do this again. JESUS WAS CRUCIFIED, AND COMMANDED HIS FOLLOWERS TO PICK UP THEIR CROSSES AS WELL; WHY DIDN'T HE JUST ASSEMBLE AN ARMY WITH THOSE DISCIPLES, AND KILL HIS ENEMIES?

Had you any knowledge, that's all going to happen, when Jesus returns.
Jesus is going to destroy all his enemies. At his 2nd coming.
When Jesus returns, he's coming with fire in his eyes and with a sword. That doesn't look like Jesus coming with Love for his enemies. Revelation 19:12-15.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But then your philosophy would be to lay down and let people walk all over you. Like a rug they can wipe their feet on. That's your mentality, not to stand up for yourself. But let your enemies treat you like a door mat.That they can wipe their feet on.

That's the way a good Christian is instructed to behave. You're to instructed to be a doormat - to offer your enemy your other cheek. Stand down. Don't resist or rise up. Be glad for your poverty, for your riches await you after death. Be longsuffering. Don't resist being exploited. Be meek. Slaves should not resist their masters, nor subjects their kings. You're to forgive everything and even love your exploiter for it.

Be a doormat and be happy about it. Your reward will come after death. It's promised.

Why do you think Constantine and Middle Ages kings were so keen on this book, spreading it through the world at the point of a sword? Who benefits from such instructions. Not the one taking this advice.

you read, but still don't understand what your reading. You treat the bible like any other book, Which just shows your ignorance of lack of having any understanding what the Bible is actually about.

You say that you read this one book differently, and I would agree. Most believers do.

The believer needs to sanitize the book. The unbeliever doesn’t.

The believer needs to make the contradictions disappear. The unbeliever doesn’t.

The believer needs to make the intellectual and moral errors of the deity described within go away. The unbeliever is free to recognize them for what they are.

The believer needs to ignore all of the errors of history and science in the Bible. The unbeliever doesn’t.

The believer needs to rationalize away the failed prophecies and unkept promises. The unbeliever merely notes them as such.

When done, the believer has only seen what he wanted to see. The unbeliever saw what was written.

So yes, you do read that one book differently, and in my opinion, for that reason, your understanding of it is inaccurate. You can't possibly see what it says if you read it through the lens of a faith based confirmation bias.

Faithofchristian

That's the way a good Christian is instructed to behave. You're to instructed to be a doormat - to offer your enemy your other cheek. Stand down. Don't resist or rise up. Be glad for your poverty, for your riches await you after death. Be longsuffering. Don't resist being exploited. Be meek. Slaves should not resist their masters, nor subjects their kings. You're to forgive everything and even love your exploiter for it.

Be a doormat and be happy about it. Your reward will come after death. It's promised.

Why do you think Constantine and Middle Ages kings were so keen on this book, spreading it through the world at the point of a sword? Who benefits from such instructions. Not the one taking this advice.

You say that you read this one book differently, and I would agree. Most believers do.

The believer needs to sanitize the book. The unbeliever doesn’t.

The believer needs to make the contradictions disappear. The unbeliever doesn’t.

The believer needs to make the intellectual and moral errors of the deity described within go away. The unbeliever is free to recognize them for what they are.

The believer needs to ignore all of the errors of history and science in the Bible. The unbeliever doesn’t.

The believer needs to rationalize away the failed prophecies and unkept promises. The unbeliever merely notes them as such.

When done, the believer has only seen what he wanted to see. The unbeliever saw what was written.

So yes, you do read that one book differently, and in my opinion, for that reason, your understanding of it is inaccurate. You can't possibly see what it says if you read it through the lens of a faith based confirmation bias.

For you maybe, that's not how you show love to your enemies.
When you lay down, all your doing is showing your weakness, and then your enemies will have no Mercy for you.

Sleeppy

Had you any knowledge, that's all going to happen, when Jesus returns.
Jesus is going to destroy all his enemies. At his 2nd coming.
When Jesus returns, he's coming with fire in his eyes and with a sword. That doesn't look like Jesus coming with Love for his enemies. Revelation 19:12-15.

I didn't ask you about Revelation (the Sci-fi novel). I asked about Jesus' crucifixion.

Faithofchristian

I didn't ask you about Revelation (the Sci-fi novel). I asked about Jesus' crucifixion.

Hey what's the matter stuck your foot in your mouth, your the one that said, know more about the Bible, so now what.

You just proved my point, that you don't know as much as you think you do.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
When you lay down, all your doing is showing your weakness, and then your enemies will have no Mercy for you.
Then your enemies are either so impressed by your devotion that they find the Lord, or you suffer for the Lord and go to Heaven. That's called "martyrdom" .
It's a foundation of the church, the one Jesus founded.
Tom

Sleeppy

Hey what's the matter stuck your foot in your mouth, your the one that said, know more about the Bible, so now what.

You just proved my point, that you don't know as much as you think you do.

Your point was already disproven. I actually expected you to reference Revelation, because it is literally the only place where Jesus goes from a pacifist, to a mass murderer.

But, I'd like you to consider WHAT HAS ALREADY OCCURRED AND BEEN COMMANDED OF YOU, which is pacifism. Why did Jesus ask that his own murderers be forgiven?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Liberal democrates are just to gullible. Just to show just how gullible Liberal democrates really are. Back in 1975, Liberals went out paying 20 to 30 dollars for some Stupid rock to call it their pet rock. But yet Liberals fell for it. Now talk about being strange.
Thanks for the above as I really needed a good laugh to start off my day here this morning.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Because Christianity, being the creation of men and not gods, doesn't have the power to wipe out the enemies of Christianity.

BTW: if Jesus wanted to wipe out his enemies, why would he need a human army?

Sleeppy

Because Christianity, being the creation of men and not gods, doesn't have the power to wipe out the enemies of Christianity.

BTW: if Jesus wanted to wipe out his enemies, why would he need a human army?

Let's go off on an unnecessary tangent..?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I don't show love to enemies. The most an enemy can reasonably expect is that his victim disengage from him without seeking revenge.

I asked several times on another thread recently why loving enemies was considered good advice. I got a few answers, but none that were convincing. I was told that harboring hard feelings was unhealthy. But that assumes that I do that. My initial sense of outrage and betrayal evolves into indifference.

I was told that bullies are often victims of bullying and that I should be understanding. Yes, I understand that. And sexual predators were often victims of sexual predators themselves. I didn't see how that translates into loving them or in interacting with them in any way at all.

I was told that if that bully had a place of safety they would then have a context in which they could wean themselves from a behavior they know doesn't make them feel good. OK, but let somebody that they haven't harmed do that for them - someone that they aren't likely to try to harm when helping them.

I'd say naivety and foolishness, not weakness, but I agree that it is a mistake.

Why do you suppose that Jesus advises us to do just that? Where's the wisdom in turning the other cheek? Isn't that the essence of doormattery? As you imply, your enemies will simply strike that cheek as well. And I can't say that the cheek turner isn't inviting the second blow.

Good advice would be to try to negotiate a peace if possible, or walk away if not. If you can't negotiate a peace or walk away, put your hands up to defend your face, and if necessary and possible, overpower your enemy and neutralize him. Turning the other cheek to your enemy seems like the worst option available.

It was suggested that the gesture was symbolic. It sends a message. OK. If you think that inviting additional suffering is somehow sending a beneficial message, give the enemy the same sore, tender cheek to strike.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think that you do a great job of illustrating the inherent problems with having a Scripture based worldview, when Scripture includes two different moral codes.
People can just cherry pick whatever appeals to them, and attribute their own opinions to Almighty God.
Tom