• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump representing Christianity in the US...

Aldrnari

When I was a Christian, one thing I heard often was that you need to watch what you say or do, because whether you know it or not, you represent your faith. Your actions can cause Christians to stumble, or worse, cause those who don't know god to turn away from him and become embittered against him. Alternatively, if you act in accordance with god, it will draw people to want to visit your church, and maybe even become saved.

Trump has been at the forefront, and he has been leading the charge for Christian political ambitions in the US. A lot of people have come to associate him as a sort of leader for the Christian movement in this country; especially for evangelical Christianity. With Christians I know, he is either regarded as a source of great pride, or as a source of great embarrassment.

So, as for the fine folks of religious forums:

How do you feel with the way trump represents Christianity in the US?

Does he embody the Christian walk? If so, in what ways?

Do you think his actions will cause people to turn to god, or will his actions turn people away?

Thanks! :D

Kelly of the Phoenix

The "Christian" part of me is upset. The "Smartmouth" part of me says he is what Christianity has been for centuries.

He is ignorant and shallow and hypocritical. :)

Do you think his actions will cause people to turn to god, or will his actions turn people away?
I'm sure plenty of people are praying to be rid of this entire administration. :p

Skwim

Veteran Member
Trump has been at the forefront, and he has been leading the charge for Christian political ambitions in the US.
Christian political ambitions coincide with the thinking of a twelve year old? Why not, :shrug:

A lot of people have come to associate him as a sort of leader for the Christian movement in this country; especially for evangelical Christianity.
Really? Doesn't say much for evangelical Christianity does it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A Christian to be a real Christian has to follow the teachings and life of the Christ. Of course there are many contradictions and translation issues not to mention interpretation questions with the Bible, but my test is whether or not a person actually follows by his or her actions the root commandment of love:

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

socharlie

When I was a Christian, one thing I heard often was that you need to watch what you say or do, because whether you know it or not, you represent your faith. Your actions can cause Christians to stumble, or worse, cause those who don't know god to turn away from him and become embittered against him. Alternatively, if you act in accordance with god, it will draw people to want to visit your church, and maybe even become saved.

Trump has been at the forefront, and he has been leading the charge for Christian political ambitions in the US. A lot of people have come to associate him as a sort of leader for the Christian movement in this country; especially for evangelical Christianity. With Christians I know, he is either regarded as a source of great pride, or as a source of great embarrassment.

POTUS CANNOT represent Christ. POTUS represents Archon powers.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
A lot of people have come to associate him as a sort of leader for the Christian movement in this country; especially for evangelical Christianity.
The willingness if the overwhelming majority of evangelic Christians to wave away Trump's 70 years of worshipping Mammon and adopting him as a Christian leader demonstrated the rank hypocrisy of modern Christians in the USA.

But being a gay man commonly under the gun for wanting to be able to get married, by people with a divorce or two under their own belt, it was no big surprise to me.
Tom

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I feel he is the pinnacle example of Evangelical Christianity. He is their true face, unmasked. As for the rest of Christianity, he, like them, are the antithesis of what Christ represents and taught.

If you mean, how like Jesus is he? Zero. Not one iota. Nada. None. How like the Evangelicals who support him is he, very much what they are minus the pretenses that they are people of actual faith. The complete lack and absence of any possibly humility is unmasked, and therefore truly representative of themselves.

If you are talking actual God, I would say only inasmuch as by pulling off the mask of Evangelical Christianity and showing it for what it is, those with a heart towards good, towards love, towards compassions, patience, understanding, kindness, charity, and so forth will no longer be deceived by that form of religion and start to actually look somewhere they can find it. But there is nothing whatsoever in the heart of than man that is Christian, and those who adore him as representing Christianity show what has been in theirs. Narcissistic Christianity, is not Christian.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think he'd be associated so strongly with the Religious Right if he didn't have Pence with him. Pence is a paragon of the Religious Right, but Trump, on the other hand, has nothing "Christly" about him. He didn't even really gain their solid support like he has now until he chose Pence as his running mate.
But Pence doesn't represent Christianity in America, but rather a monstrosity of a politicized form of Christianity that wants nothing more than to tear down the divide between Church and State and turn America into a Biblical Theocracy of Conservative values.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

LoL

People have a tendency to associate a group of people (or ideal, religious or not) based on the actions of a notable few...

They can, but they are wrong. Let's apply your logic across the board a bit.

Osama Bin Laden represents Islam.

Jeffrey Dahmer represents LGBT people.

Karl Marx represents athiest.

It's just flat out wrong to take one facet of a persons personality or life and then have that person represent everyone of that group.

That being said, Trump doesn't strike me as a Christian. He claims it for sure, to get the support of Christians but I don't believe he lives as a Christian. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
True, but at the same time we don't want people to put their faith in us but in Jesus. Not that you asked a question here. :D
I agree.
For the record, I thought I had heard Trump was supposedly converted by Paula White. She is a prosperity preacher. And I don't identify that with Biblical Christianity.
I don't think so, I just know what TBN preaches. It's not like what Jesus or Paul taught. My guess is that he has been deceived into thinking he is a Christian.
It's obvious to me that he wants to erect his kingdom instead of Christ's. That's just gonna turn people away in the end or deceive people.
But do you think the average person will make that distinction? People have a tendency to associate a group of people (or ideal, religious or not) based on the actions of a notable few...
No, the average person will see Trump as either God's gift to America or Hell's angel. Very polarizing.

Aldrnari

LoL

They can, but they are wrong. Let's apply your logic across the board a bit.

Osama Bin Laden represents Islam.

Jeffrey Dahmer represents LGBT people.

Karl Marx represents athiest.

It's just flat out wrong to take one facet of a persons personality or life and then have that person represent everyone of that group.

That being said, Trump doesn't strike me as a Christian. He claims it for sure, to get the support of Christians but I don't believe he lives as a Christian. I could be wrong though. :shrug:

And yet, I have heard all of those examples you listed. :D

I agree that it is ridiculous, but it does happen all the time.

Edit: And when people draw those conclusions about things you believe, do you feel the need to defend your faith? I often hear that Muslims don't do enough to denounce radical terrorism, which doesn't even remotely represent their views... What are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
And yet, I have heard all of those examples you listed. :D

I agree that it is ridiculous, but it does happen all the time.

Edit: And when people draw those conclusions about things you believe, do you feel the need to defend your faith? I often hear that Muslims don't do enough to denounce radical terrorism, which doesn't even remotely represent their views... What are your thoughts on that?

When people do I just point out their error in doing so.

I agree some people do criticize Muslims for not denouncing terrorist. But it's just nonsense. Why should peaceful Muslims who just want to live their life and raise a family, denounce the actions of zealots who want world domination? It's a moot point. Terrorist are bad, serial killer cannibals are bad, communist tyrants are bad. We all know this there is no need to state the obvious.

socharlie

But do you think the average person will make that distinction? People have a tendency to associate a group of people (or ideal, religious or not) based on the actions of a notable few...
it does not matter, everyone will wash his/her own consciousness...if they follow trash there be more washing...

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Trump has never been a Christian in my view, but Christians do tend to embrace some of his political ideas so it's natural to see them in that light. As far as sins, other than lying and killing I'm pretty much sure he's been down with them all at some point, so seeing him as a Christian icon is somewhat of a stretch.

I do, however, see Trump as more Christian than the Pope presently who is doing everything possible to murder Catholicism and other denominations of Christianity through his actions.