• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump on Aretha Franklin: "She worked for me ..."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From The Atlantic:

“I want to begin today by expressing my condolences to the family of a person I knew well,” Trump said Thursday during a Cabinet meeting. “She worked for me on numerous occasions. She was terrific—Aretha Franklin—on her passing. She brought joy to millions of lives and her extraordinary legacy will thrive and inspire many generations to come.”​

And, from Slate:

The president continued: “She was terrific, Aretha Franklin, on her passing. She’s brought joy to millions of lives and her extraordinary legacy will thrive and inspire many generations to come. She was given a great gift from God, her voice, and she used it well. People loved Aretha. She was a special woman. So I just want to pass on my warmest best wishes and sympathies to her family.”​

What pathetically unspeakable pathological scum!

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
From The Atlantic:

“I want to begin today by expressing my condolences to the family of a person I knew well,” Trump said Thursday during a Cabinet meeting. “She worked for me on numerous occasions. She was terrific—Aretha Franklin—on her passing. She brought joy to millions of lives and her extraordinary legacy will thrive and inspire many generations to come.”​

And, from Slate:

The president continued: “She was terrific, Aretha Franklin, on her passing. She’s brought joy to millions of lives and her extraordinary legacy will thrive and inspire many generations to come. She was given a great gift from God, her voice, and she used it well. People loved Aretha. She was a special woman. So I just want to pass on my warmest best wishes and sympathies to her family.”​

The narcissism and ignorance of Trump has no bounds. God help us.

Peace

BSM1

What? Me worry?
From The Atlantic:

And, from Slate:

What's that term you're so fond of? Oh, yeah...*yawn*

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
From Slate:
D.T being a narcissist used the correct word "terrific": We will never know what definition he "really has in his narcissistic mind", but it might not be "too endearing".

terrific ... təˈrɪfɪk/ ...adjective
  1. of great size, amount, or intensity.
    "there was a terrific bang"
    synonyms: tremendous, huge, massive, gigantic, colossal, mighty, great, very great, very big, prodigious, formidable, sizeable, considerable;
  2. archaic
    causing terror.
    "his body presented a terrific emblem of death"

Last edited:

suncowiam

We all know Trump is bad at public speaking.

It still surprises me that he can actually rally a crowd unless the crowd is empathetic to his style and mindset.

All I will say is that I'm sure he intended better.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I think the most disturbing part about this thread is most of the replies, instead of giving warm thoughts and personal stories of how Aretha Franklin made a positive impact on their lives, some posters (yeah YOU) find it more important to tear down someone else's- shame on you.

I guess I will be the first in this thread, feel free to add your own personal messages and condolences:
Aretha, I didn't know you personally nor did I really listen to your music but you were a good singer and I think you were in the movie "The Whiz" but maybe not. I know you were in that movie where two white criminals who culturally appropriated black music went on a crime spree/music tour to raise money to save an all-white religious school.
0a31086b5ae4f2a904ee5af9b22c7787

I think you also made a Hitler salute at one time:
636697560878833743-VPCOBIT-ARETHA-FRANKLIN.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think the most disturbing part about this thread is most of the replies, instead of giving warm thoughts and personal stories of how Aretha Franklin made a positive impact on their lives, some posters (yeah YOU) find it more important to tear down someone else's- shame on you.

I guess I will be the first in this thread, feel free to add your own personal messages and condolences:
Aretha, I didn't know you personally nor did I really listen to your music but you were a good singer and I think you were in the movie "The Whiz" but maybe not. I know you were in that movie where two white criminals who culturally appropriated black music went on a crime spree/music tour to raise money to save an all-white religious school.

I like cultural appropriation.,.

Btw.....
John Landis, Who Directed Aretha Franklin’s Only Two Movies, Remembers Her ‘Blues Brothers’ Turns

Last edited:

suncowiam

Good political move there. It's called a pivot.

You are correct to a degree but the OP was not about the death of Aretha Franklin but Trump's ability to speak in such situations.

We are in a debate forum, so I would consider the OP legitimate under North America Politics.

If you would like to start the real thread that demands respect for Aretha Franklin then I suggest you make another thread outside debates, maybe under Music?

pearl

I'll go with what President Obama said

"Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace,"

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Good political move there. It's called a pivot.
You are correct to a degree but the OP was not about the death of Aretha Franklin but Trump's ability to speak in such situations.
We are in a debate forum, so I would consider the OP legitimate under North America Politics.

A debate? looks like something else to me:

As a classic narcissist
this was not even a sincere gesture.
Deranged Donny {snip} narcissist

Blah, blah, blah........

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this ironic? Or are you really attacking so harshly because during his offering of well wishes to the family of the deceased he explained how he personally knew her, that it wasn't just a pat "she was famous and died" response?