• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump more favorable to marriage than Obama

Akivah

The Trump tax plan is more favorable to married tax filers than under Obama. The marriage penalty exists whenever the income tax on a couple's joint return is more than the combined taxes each spouse would pay if they weren't married and each filed a single filer return.

Under Obama, the marriage penalty existed for anyone that earned more than $38K. So most couples with both spouses working were penalized on income tax for being married. The Trump tax plan vastly improved this provision. Now the marriage penalty is eliminated for spouses that each earn up to $200K. Under the Trump law, most couples in America won't be penalized for being married.

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
The Trump tax plan is more favorable to married tax filers than under Obama. The marriage penalty exists whenever the income tax on a couple's joint return is more than the combined taxes each spouse would pay if they weren't married and each filed a single filer return.

Under Obama, the marriage penalty existed for anyone that earned more than $38K. So most couples with both spouses working were penalized on income tax for being married. The Trump tax plan vastly improved this provision. Now the marriage penalty is eliminated for spouses that each earn up to $200K. Under the Trump law, most couples in America won't be penalized for being married.

Once upon a time, it was common for the husband to work and the wife to stay home with the children. (Cue 1950s TV sitcom theme song) Filing jointly was a major advantage over the husband filing separately and the wife not at all.

David1967

Premium Member
Under Obama, the marriage penalty existed for anyone that earned more than $38K. So most couples with both spouses working were penalized on income tax for being married.

Correct. And it was devastating to me and my wife.

The Trump tax plan vastly improved this provision. Now the marriage penalty is eliminated for spouses that each earn up to $200K. Under the Trump law, most couples in America won't be penalized for being married.

Thank goodness. Its about time. I know couples who have either divorced and stayed together or just chose to not marry and live together because of the marriage punishment tax. I'm glad someone finally did something about it.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Like it matters for everyone under $200K the tax relief is temporary and will exceed today's rate in 10 years. Everyone above 200K keeps the benefits until the next redo of taxes. Hooray for a few dollars for a couple of years.

There should be a federal Flat tax equal for all and a flexible sales tax equal for all. The only reason for a sales tax is so the government can jump start or slow growth. Everything else is just to screw some people so others may prosper.

DennisTate

That is excellent news indeed.........
Do you and I agree that President Trump also deserves a lot of credit for having the courage to move the USA Embassy to Jerusalem?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Thank goodness. Its about time. I know couples who have either divorced and stayed together or just chose to not marry and live together because of the marriage punishment tax. I'm glad someone finally did something about it.

If one is making enough money to be affected by this admittedly unfair policy they could not have been "devastated". But I understand that you could unfairly pay more than your fair share with the marriage penalty.

DennisTate

That was a move of idiocy, not courage.

On one level.... I somewhat understand why you would think that.......
but personally I believe that his move fits with the theory that President Trump has
an extremely high IQ and makes decisions much like Bobby Fischer playing chess.......
he has something in mind for the long term.

Why Picking Mitt Romney for Secretary of State Might Be a Genius Move

And, if the rumors are true, Trump's IQ (according to researchers, it's a 156) would place him among the top 0.1 percent of people in the world. Again, if it's true, then only about one in 4,300 people in the world is as smart as the president-elect.

Judging from the moves he's made so far, I'm inclined to agree with the assessments, even if it puts me in an awkward place with the rest of my politically connected evangelical friends.

All of us worry about different things.....
I personally worry a lot about a serious devaluation of the USA dollar being
orchestrated by Mr. George Soros assisted by Mr. Warren Buffet...........

Buffett's $55 Billion Gamble is a Bet on U.S. Collapse, Warns CIA Economist | Total Wealth Research

Did Warren Buffett just make a $55 billion bet on an imminent market crash?

A single financial document has emerged that may hold the answer.

According to a new SEC filing, Buffett is sitting on $55 billion in cash through his company Berkshire Hathaway. This is highly unusual behavior from a man often called "the world’s greatest investor."

It’s the biggest cash hoard the company has ever amassed, in the 40 years he’s been in charge.

At a cost of $29 million every single day he keeps his money out of the markets, from all outward appearances, this is a risky and costly gamble. Unless Buffett is sure a Wall Street crash is at our doorstep.

Shocking: See the chart that may have caused Buffett to bet on a U.S. collapse.
But he’s not the only famous investor who fears a dangerous correction is coming.

Jim Rogers recently admitted to Yahoo! that he is staying far away from U.S. stocks.

New filings also revealed billionaire George Soros’ massive short position on the S&P 500.

Previously, Soros allocated 3% of his portfolio to shorting the S&P. It’s a common practice major investors use to insure their positions against unforeseen pullbacks.

But he just increased his short position on the S&P 500 over 5X fold, taking it to 16% of his entire portfolio.

That is an alarming sign that Soros is betting on a market collapse. And given his track record of predicting these events, it’s one we should not ignore.

So the question remains: Why are some of the “greatest investors alive” betting against Wall Street?

According to Jim Rickards, the CIA’s Financial Threat and Asymmetric Warfare Advisor, they are taking emergency measures now before a historic economic meltdown strikes – one he, and many of his colleagues at the U.S. Intelligence Community, fear is unavoidable.

This worries me because I feel that I can reach out to well informed people through the internet and attempt to set up something that I refer to as a Unified Field Theory of Modern World Problems..... .that centres in Israel.........
so the relationship that President Trump has with Israel... is key to setting this in motion........

I truly believe that his move to please a significant percentage of Israelis.......was brilliant......

Unified Theory of Modern World Problems??!!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Help me here......
So between you together you earn a very high income.... yes?

What is the actual difference in tax dollars between what you paid before and what you will pay now, per annum?

Is it more than, say, $1000 dollars per annum difference?

Akivah

Like it matters for everyone under $200K the tax relief is temporary and will exceed today's rate in 10 years. Everyone above 200K keeps the benefits until the next redo of taxes. Hooray for a few dollars for a couple of years.

That's more than two presidential terms away. Perhaps a Democratic president can keep it going?

Akivah

Once upon a time, it was common for the husband to work and the wife to stay home with the children. (Cue 1950s TV sitcom theme song) Filing jointly was a major advantage over the husband filing separately and the wife not at all.

The 1950's is more than 60 years ago. Come to the present, that advantage doesn't exist anymore for most couples.

DennisTate

The 1950's is more than 60 years ago. Come to the present, that advantage doesn't exist anymore for most couples.

Akivah..... did you know that there is one nation on earth that has experienced COOLING in
their climate since 1950?

Can you guess what nation that is?

Hint: That same nation, on a per capita basis led the world in the sheer number of trees planted, (China has them beat for numbers... but not on a per capita basis)....... and...... on the volume of sea water desalinated for agriculture, for reforestation projects.... and for towns experiencing drought.

I was at a meeting in Goldboro, N. S. , Canada several years ago......
An expert on the Environment asked me this question......
and I got it right......

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Akivah..... did you know that there is one nation on earth that has experienced COOLING in
their climate since 1950?

Can you guess what nation that is?

Hint: That same nation, on a per capita basis led the world in the sheer number of trees planted, (China has them beat for numbers... but not on a per capita basis)....... and...... on the volume of sea water desalinated for agriculture, for reforestation projects.... and for towns experiencing drought.

I was at a meeting in Goldboro, N. S. , Canada several years ago......
An expert on the Environment asked me this question......
and I got it right......
Need I remind you that you did not support this claim the last time that you were challenged on this claim. You could only link an article that you misunderstood. Do you have anything that supports this claim today?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
On one level.... I somewhat understand why you would think that.......
but personally I believe that his move fits with the theory that President Trump has
an extremely high IQ and makes decisions much like Bobby Fischer playing chess.......
he has something in mind for the long term.

Why Picking Mitt Romney for Secretary of State Might Be a Genius Move

All of us worry about different things.....
I personally worry a lot about a serious devaluation of the USA dollar being
orchestrated by Mr. George Soros assisted by Mr. Warren Buffet...........

Buffett's $55 Billion Gamble is a Bet on U.S. Collapse, Warns CIA Economist | Total Wealth Research

This worries me because I feel that I can reach out to well informed people through the internet and attempt to set up something that I refer to as a Unified Field Theory of Modern World Problems..... .that centres in Israel.........
so the relationship that President Trump has with Israel... is key to setting this in motion........

I truly believe that his move to please a significant percentage of Israelis.......was brilliant......

Unified Theory of Modern World Problems??!!
Personally I think donny is a servant of the forces of darkness, what Christians call the devil. He promotes lust, greed, anger and other sins as well as being a total egomaniacal liar. His actions are those of someone doing the opposite of what Jesus preached in the Sermon on the Mount. And that he has a low-normal IQ besides.

DennisTate

Personally I think donny is a servant of the forces of darkness, what Christians call the devil. He promotes lust, greed, anger and other sins as well as being a total egomaniacal liar. His actions are those of someone doing the opposite of what Jesus preached in the Sermon on the Mount. And that he has a low-normal IQ besides.

Over this past year our daughter has had a pretty astonishing life changing experience..... She had this partly because she listened to video after video of a former drug addict named Todd White...........

I have reason to believe that like our daughter... President TRump has also had one of these life altering shifts in the way that he views the world.... and his place in it........... But I do have to admit..... in his pre-conversion days...... he did indeed behave pretty badly........

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Two independent calculations have it that taxes in 10 years will likely go up for those making today's equivalent of $75,000 or less. Meanwhile, between 10-15 million Americans will likely lose their medical insurance, major cuts are expected in Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security and quite a few other programs, including education.

So, if money is "God", some will be very happy-- too bad it will be at the expense of the poor and lower-middle class.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
That's more than two presidential terms away. Perhaps a Democratic president can keep it going?
Why would there ever be another democratic president, especially since this Tax break is so great the economy will never stop growing?

David1967

Premium Member
Help me here......
So between you together you earn a very high income.... yes?

What is the actual difference in tax dollars between what you paid before and what you will pay now, per annum?

Is it more than, say, $1000 dollars per annum difference?

No we together do not have a very high income, but it does put us just high enough to make the "affordable health care act" compliant insurance, unaffordable. That in itself cost us more than an extra $3000 dollars a year each. Doing away with the mandate and letting us get insurance we can afford that doesn't require us to carry maturnity insurance (we are past child bearing years) saves us a lot. Not to mention the lower tax rate and larger deductions available now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Why penalize any married couple?