• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump may cut funds for TSA and Coast Guard to pay for border wall

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
"The Trump administration, searching for money to build the president’s planned multibillion-dollar border wall and crack down on illegal immigration, is weighing significant cuts to the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration and other agencies focused on national security threats, according to a draft plan."

To fund border wall, Trump administration weighs cuts to Coast Guard, airport security

But Trump and his supporters told us Mexico was going to pay for it, didn't they? I don't see what could go wrong with gutting national security funds to build a wall that is guaranteed to be virtually useless.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Since 9/11 was an inside job the TSA has been more of a curse than a blessing anyway. Always thought the coast guard was alright though.

tytlyf

Not Religious
How about paying for it by taxing the wealthy their fair share? Gotta dig up legit funds to pay for his 1% tax breaks.

dust1n

Zindīq
"The Trump administration, searching for money to build the president’s planned multibillion-dollar border wall and crack down on illegal immigration, is weighing significant cuts to the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration and other agencies focused on national security threats, according to a draft plan."

To fund border wall, Trump administration weighs cuts to Coast Guard, airport security

But Trump and his supporters told us Mexico was going to pay for it, didn't they? I don't see what could go wrong with gutting national security funds to build a wall that is guaranteed to be virtually useless.

Just as a general reminder: All those conservative talking points about balance budgets and fiscal policy and open trade and competition went immediately out the window in exchange for ethnonationalism.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not sure about the TSA, but cutting the Coast Guard which does real work keeping America safe and crap out to pay for a useless wall is just the kind of idiocy I expect from the current regime. I suspect this proposal will go nowhere or at least I hope it does.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just as a general reminder: All those conservative talking points about balance budgets and fiscal policy and open trade and competition went immediately out the window in exchange for ethnonationalism.
Wa Po won't let me view the article.
Is it the paper's opinion that the cuts are to fund the wall,
or is it the admin's stated purpose?

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I am sure cutting funds from the coast guard is sure to help slow the traffic of illegal drugs into the US. :rolleyes:

dust1n

Zindīq
Wa Po won't let me view the article.
Is it the paper's opinion that the cuts are to fund the wall,
or is it the admin's stated purpose?

From the article:

"The Trump administration, searching for money to build the president’s planned multibillion-dollar border wall and crack down on illegal immigration, is weighing significant cuts to the Coast Guard, the Transportation Security Administration and other agencies focused on national security threats, according to a draft plan.

The proposal, drawn up by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), also would slash the budget of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which provides disaster relief after hurricanes, tornadoes and other natural disasters. The Coast Guard’s $9.1 billion budget in 2017 would be cut 14 percent to about $7.8 billion, while the TSA and FEMA budgets would be reduced about 11 percent each to $4.5 billion and $3.6 billion, respectively.

The cuts are proposed even as the planned budget for the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees all of them, grows 6.4 percent to $43.8 billion, according to the plan, which was obtained by The Washington Post. Some $2.9 billion of that would go to building the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border, with $1.9 billion funding “immigration detention beds” and other Immigration and Customs Enforcement expenses and $285 million set aside to hire 500 more Border Patrol agents and 1,000 more ICE agents and support staffers."

idav

Being
Premium Member

Shoot there should be plenty of money left over since Trump cut every single department except for Defense, the one department that could have afforded a cut. Sheesh, I don't even want to talk about it, I'm not really posting, nothing to see here.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I am sure cutting funds from the coast guard is sure to help slow the traffic of illegal drugs into the US. :rolleyes:
Nah, that's the border patrol job. He's axing the coast guard in favor of boosting the amount of border patrol agents. He just needs to train them on their new boats.

averageJOE

zombie
On the other hand, though... Does the TSA really do anything?
Wait, wait, wait.

Before anyone goes all anti-TSA take a look at which departments he is proposing to cut. The Behavior Detection program, Federal Air Marshals, the VIPER teams, and the grants the airports use to pay the local law enforcement.

The behavior detection officers are the only ones on that list that wear that blue uniform you all associate TSA with. They don't do any of the pat downs or are involved in any of the horror stories you hear about. Cutting them only merges them back into the checkpoint positions. Those blue uniforms you all hate will remain unaffected.

The other departments however...that's what should concern you. The air marshal's, VIPER, and those grants for the local cops positioned in the airports...those are the positions that carry guns. Those positions were solely designed to respond to immediate threats. If an active shooter is in the airport, VIPER and local law enforcement respond. If there is a threat on a flight, like a highjacking, air marshal's respond. Cutting these positions mean's that they just go away. They are the first responders and they are always in the airports. If/when TSA officers in those blue uniforms expose a possible threat they hand over the situation to these three departments to handle.

tytlyf

Not Religious
So you like having all the illegals crossing the boarder ?.
The border is already secure, a wall won't change that. We don't have 'open borders' as your favorite media tells you. Remember, Obama deported the most illegals in history. But you criticized him.