• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump; like him or not, somethings are just funny

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Think about it-the richest most powerful country
in the history of the world, No ship sails without
the US knowing it, and giving tacit approval.
Troops are stationed everywhere. One could
go on to list things.

I say this not as a citizen or a big fan of the USA
or its policies, domestic or foreign.

Just take one country for an example-Taiwan.

There would be no Taiwan if not for the USA,
and they are very aware of that. They follow
US politics with a lot of interest / concern, as
well they might.

When the USA gets sneezes, the world gets a
cold.

So yeah, it matters a lot who is in office and what
they do.

I wouldn't deny any of this, but the bottom line is: The U.S. government is expected and required to represent and carry out the interests of the American people, first and foremost. That's what most ordinary and "non-exceptional" countries do in this world.

That's what we had been doing up until the World Wars, when suddenly our government's expected role shifted. Suddenly we were expected to become the "Arsenal of Democracy" - all because the ancient, wise, and divinely infallible "rest of the world" was endlessly squabbling and making war with each other.

Now, apparently, some people in the "rest of the world" think that America is some "worldwide joke" and that our people are "blithering idiots." This is not exactly news to me. I've lived in America all my life - however "insular" that may seem - but if nothing else, at least I know about America and my fellow Americans.

And yes, I know we have troops all over the world, along with treaty obligations and a certain role as "superpower" and "global leader" that seems to make people hold America to a higher standard than they would some other country. Even here in America itself, the propaganda fed to the people seems to bolster that image and encourages belief in American exceptionalism and similar ideals.

So, when the people elect a clinker like Trump (although that also requires some analysis), it's seen by the "rest of the world" as some kind of monumental failure and lapse in judgment. Casey at the bat has struck out!

Audie

Veteran Member
I wouldn't deny any of this, but the bottom line is: The U.S. government is expected and required to represent and carry out the interests of the American people, first and foremost. That's what most ordinary and "non-exceptional" countries do in this world.

That's what we had been doing up until the World Wars, when suddenly our government's expected role shifted. Suddenly we were expected to become the "Arsenal of Democracy" - all because the ancient, wise, and divinely infallible "rest of the world" was endlessly squabbling and making war with each other.

Now, apparently, some people in the "rest of the world" think that America is some "worldwide joke" and that our people are "blithering idiots." This is not exactly news to me. I've lived in America all my life - however "insular" that may seem - but if nothing else, at least I know about America and my fellow Americans.

And yes, I know we have troops all over the world, along with treaty obligations and a certain role as "superpower" and "global leader" that seems to make people hold America to a higher standard than they would some other country. Even here in America itself, the propaganda fed to the people seems to bolster that image and encourages belief in American exceptionalism and similar ideals.

So, when the people elect a clinker like Trump (although that also requires some analysis), it's seen by the "rest of the world" as some kind of monumental failure and lapse in judgment. Casey at the bat has struck out!

Well, we have little-to-nothing to disagree about
in any of that, just a little difference in how we'd
express it.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe it's because we used to own a third of it, or having a real history not just a few hundred years of genocidal country building

And look at you now.

I think one might find mixed reviews about that third of the world you used to own.

As for your history, yes, it's certainly longer than ours, although our history is kind of rooted in your history anyway. You've had your dark pages in your history just as we have.

The only reason America is in the position we're in now is because you had control of much of the world - and you totally botched it.

Audie

Veteran Member
And look at you now.

I think one might find mixed reviews about that third of the world you used to own.

As for your history, yes, it's certainly longer than ours, although our history is kind of rooted in your history anyway. You've had your dark pages in your history just as we have.

The only reason America is in the position we're in now is because you had control of much of the world - and you totally botched it.

They never "owned" those places.
Typical british arrogance to say they did.

The brits are fine ones to talk of "genocide".
See what happened in Tasmania.
Check out the 35 million in India rubbed out
by Britain. Shall we go on.

Added up, far more harm and evil has come out
of jolly ol' England than from any other country.

Shad

Veteran Member
What I find funny is Americans ripping into their own president like it doesn't make the whole country a worldwide joke

"Ripping" government is part of 1A. It is a very American thing to do. The rest of the world has lost that point as only the US has free speech.

Shad

Veteran Member
Well democracy is everybody getting behind group decisions not whining like *****es because it's not going your way

No it isn't. There is no obligation for the minority vote to cave to the majority. That is why both the Dems and GOP in Congress shut down policy by Obama and Trump.

Darkforbid

And look at you now.

I wouldn't say botched. Just over extended

We Never Know

No Slack
The USA is way way way too powerful and influential
to be a joke. Scary, contemptible, weird,dangerous,
childish, who knows, but not funny. Not a joke.

Like a rich, six-foot four and aggressive teenager
is not funny.

I'm not saying the US is a joke. Just that the US didn't look very competent in the 2016 election with all the circus acts.

Last edited:

Darkforbid

No it isn't. There is no obligation for the minority vote to cave to the majority. That is why both the Dems and GOP in Congress shut down policy by Obama and Trump.

Well I personally think the EU is on the brink of collapse as well as the USA

Darkforbid

Ergo your link was not about the point I made. You just tossed it out there as an assertion.

Kind of, but more like the US will erode free speech more and more as Americans use this right to **** on their own country

Shad

Veteran Member
Kind of, but more like the US will erode free speech more and more as Americans use this right to **** on their own country

Sure. It is natural for government and politicians to try to control the population. Undermining Free speech is one method. However I think this battlefield has shifted to media companies which pick and choose what people can say while holding a monopoly in communications media. FB for example has zero issues regulating speech as per it's agreement with China.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why should the "rest of the world" be so concerned anyway? America is our country, not theirs.
Because we don't live in a self-contained bubble. Our actions at home tend to have global cultural, economic, and political ramifications.