• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Impeachment 2.0

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Z0GvtBp.jpg

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Also can someone enlighten me on what impeachment actually is?
I’ve been hearing about it for like ever. But all my sources are either American, so they treat it like something you should know by default. Or Aus, in which case they seem more bemused than explanatory.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I’ve been hearing about it for like ever. But all my sources are either American, so they treat it like something you should know by default. Or Aus, in which case they seem more bemused than explanatory.
Nothing more than a charge of misconduct, for pretty much any reason at all. It is not a legal indictment of any sort, but if both houses in the US (with a 2/3 majority in the Senate) agree, then the person impeached can be removed from their office and, at the discretion of the Senate, denied the right to hold federal public office again.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Nothing more than a charge of misconduct, for pretty much any reason at all. It is not a legal indictment of any sort, but if both houses in the US (with a 2/3 majority in the Senate) agree, then the person impeached can be removed from their office and, at the discretion of the Senate, denied the right to hold federal public office again.
Oh I see. Thanks

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Impeachment is, in essence, a criminal charge brought against the president. But it is leveled by Congress, not by a prosecutor.

One aspect of this is that this is a power reserved to the Congress. Whether a sitting president can be charged in a criminal proceeding *other* than impeachment is a matter of debate (it hasn't ever made it to the Supreme Court for a decision).

After the House of Representatives votes to impeach a president, the matter then goes to the Senate for trial. But, the jury is the whole of the Senate.

If the Senate votes to convict by a 2/3 majority of those present, the president is removed from office. By another vote, the Senate can also ban the President from seeking public office again.

In this case, Trump will be out of office before the Senate conducts the trial, but there is still the valuable penalty of not allowing Trump to hold future office.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I completely forgot where you're from.

It's like, saying team A (majority of players) voted for coach Trump. Trump misrepresented his own team (American citizens) and when called out for it by the team organization (US Government) and the players, the coach didn't accept his error. The organization cited (impeached) the coach after many intentional ill-decisions saying he made decisions to "support" his team. He has till January 20th to be kicked out of the sports X organization, but since some assumed he brought up a rally against his own organization, the latter cited him again but it hasn't be finalized until later presumingly after January 20th I would think.

It's "a charge of misconduct made against the holder of a public office."

Criteria for impeachment "The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors." Thus, the operative legal standard to apply to an impeachment of a sitting President is "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors."

Forgive the analogy. Someone would probably correct me later.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
Impeachment is, in essence, a criminal charge brought against the president. But it is leveled by Congress, not by a prosecutor.

One aspect of this is that this is a power reserved to the Congress. Whether a sitting president can be charged in a criminal proceeding *other* than impeachment is a matter of debate (it hasn't ever made it to the Supreme Court for a decision).

After the House of Representatives votes to impeach a president, the matter then goes to the Senate for trial. But, the jury is the whole of the Senate.

If the Senate votes to convict by a 2/3 majority of those present, the president is removed from office. By another vote, the Senate can also ban the President from seeking public office again.

In this case, Trump will be out of office before the Senate conducts the trial, but there is still the valuable penalty of not allowing Trump to hold future office.

Not to mention that if the senate also impeaches him, he loses most if not all of the perks of a former president.