• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump: "I Will Protect Our LGBTQ Citizens'

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
He didn't say he'd protect us. He said he'll protect us from "that foreign ideology", his scapegoat of choice. This isn't really about LGBTQ rights - it's nationalism in drag.
Yes, because that was the topic. I still think this is important because he went out of his way to bring that specific community into the discussion. It might not be much, but for me, it is a breath of fresh air and gives me a small sigh of relief in comparison to previous rhetoric.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Phew! I really hope President Trump will be the first POTUS to address my B concerns. Maybe he could address the ongoing bias I experience from the L and G communities. Fingers crossed!
He will have to protect you from his Vice President, Pence.
Pence has made it very clear that he doesn't believe that queer folk have any rights that conflict with Christian interpretation of Leviticus 20:13.
Which isn't much.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, because that was the topic. I still think this is important because he went out of his way to bring that specific community into the discussion. It might not be much, but for me, it is a breath of fresh air and gives me a small sigh of relief in comparison to previous rhetoric.
That's why I say to look at what a person actually does, not at what is said to make any final judgements.

Or

Actions speak louder than words.

Acim

Revelation all the time
He will have to protect you from his Vice President, Pence.
Pence has made it very clear that he doesn't believe that queer folk have any rights that conflict with Christian interpretation of Leviticus 20:13.
Which isn't much.
Tom

I'm sure Pence and I will get along fine.

I'm not leftist (nor rightist).

Didn't say you were. Too many people on the right and left (and in the centre) are oh-so-sensitive these days, neither side has a monopoly on manufacturing offence.

I just find it strange that someone can feel threatened by a politician saying they will protect LGBT citizens.

buddhist

Didn't say you were. Too many people on the right and left (and in the centre) are oh-so-sensitive these days, neither side has a monopoly on manufacturing offence.

I just find it strange that someone can feel threatened by a politician saying they will protect LGBT citizens.
I didn't say that you said I was ;)

My original statement was meant as satire.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Trump has a very strange way of showing it considering he picked an extremely anti-LBGT running mate.
Trump has a strange way of showing everything. I do, however, want to know who the **** this new guy is, making these relatively gracious speeches. That wasn't the man on the campaign trail. That man would've lost to campaign-Trump.

I'm not complaining, mind. If Campaign Trump is locked in a closet somewhere in the bowels of the RNC, being Jack Bauer'd, leave him. After what he said about McCain and prisoners of war, if anyone has earned a little torture, it's that piece of ****.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's why I say to look at what a person actually does, not at what is said to make any final judgements.
I am.
Trump picked a VP who spent years gathering political support from anti queer bigots. I know, because I live in the state Pence is from.
Pence is a bigoted Christian politician first and a Constitutional American second.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Trump has a strange way of showing everything. I do, however, want to know who the **** this new guy is, making these relatively gracious speeches.
I know, right? It begs to question who is the real Trump, was a gimmick involved, or has Washington already begun to Assimilate Trump? Lately, he doesn't seem like the same "dur-de-duhr" ******* mocking and ridiculing anyone and everyone who questions or challenges him. He's already even reconsidering some of his positions, such as amending the ACA rather than repeal/replace it, renegotiating NAFTA rather than scraping it, and no more flat-out ban on Muslims coming into the country. Even his speeches have went from mindless, idiotic, and moronic ramblings that just couldn't finish a sentence or thought without jumping around from one topic to another to a completely different level of competency. He went from probably the president who would have easily been the worst public speaker in American history to someone who is at least more competent than Bush Jr.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My point was, in America, it should be "equal protection under the Law".

Yes it should be, but paraphrasing from Animal Farm: "Some Americans are more equal than others". In June 2015 thanks to the SCOTUS more Americans became equal.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't believe anything that liar says. He lies and lies and lies. If he says the sun is out, I'm getting my umbrella.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
was a gimmick involved

This. Aka "campaign rhetoric" aka "pandering to voters". Twelve presidential campaigns and elections I've lived through that I remember. Lie, rinse, repeat.