• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump has a real opportunity with the anthem protests, but, undoubtedly, he will waste it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
... but, undoubtedly, he will waste it.

NFL players are trying to spread awareness of racial injustice, or police brutality specifically, by kneeling during the national anthem.

What would a decent President do? Say, I hear you. Admit that there is a problem with racial prejudice and police brutality toward minorities in the country. Come to the White House and let's discuss how we can attack this problem.

Instead, he refuses to even hear them. They clearly and specifically explain that the protests are not about the flag or the anthem, they are about racial prejudice in this country. In response, Trump and his surrogates say that their protest doesn't make any sense and that it is, in fact, about the flag and the anthem because "Trump says so".

It is truly embarrassing/disgraceful that Trump doesn't have more sense. The players are protesting Trump's response now, so the problem is only going to get worse.

Trump just needs to say "I'm sorry for the way I reacted. I want to help. Let's get together and come up with a plan to address this issue." Instead, Trump divides, attacks, insults, name-calls, etc. When a pro-basketball player or sportscaster name-calls it is inappropriate, but not really too big of a deal. They are young and they aren't politicians or elected officials.

But, when a sitting President steps into a social battle over race, saying that protests about racial prejudice aren't valid and calls the protesters names, that is despicable, destructive, childish, inappropriate and unacceptable.

Trump has a real opportunity to change minds and make things better in regards to racial prejudice. But, instead, he is undoubtedly going to keep making it worse.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

NFL players are trying to spread awareness of racial injustice, or police brutality specifically, by kneeling during the national anthem.

What would a decent President do? Say, I hear you. Admit that there is a problem with racial prejudice and police brutality toward minorities in the country. Come to the White House and let's discuss how we can attack this problem.

Instead, he refuses to even hear them. They clearly and specifically explain that the protests are not about the flag or the anthem, they are about racial prejudice in this country. In response, Trump and his surrogates say that their protest doesn't make any sense and that it is, in fact, about the flag and the anthem because "Trump says so".

It is truly embarrassing/disgraceful that Trump doesn't have more sense. The players are protesting Trump's response now, so the problem is only going to get worse.

Trump just needs to say "I'm sorry for the way I reacted. I want to help. Let's get together and come up with a plan to address this issue." Instead, Trump divides, attacks, insults, name-calls, etc. When a pro-basketball player or sportscaster name-calls it is inappropriate, but not really too big of a deal. They are young and they aren't politicians or elected officials.

But, when a sitting President steps into a social battle over race, saying that protests about racial prejudice aren't valid and calls the protesters names, that is despicable, destructive, childish, inappropriate and unacceptable.

Trump has a real opportunity to change minds and make things better in regards to racial prejudice. But, instead, he is undoubtedly going to keep making it worse.

Probably because it bullcrap. I'd much rather see the whole NFL shutdown than cave into the demands of some premadonna football players. They act like they care, but I bet they won't give up that paper, if push comes to shove. :D

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Apparently, with Trump, only white supremacists have a right to protest.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Probably because it bullcrap. I'd much rather see the whole NFL shutdown than cave into the demands of some premadonna football players. They act like they care, but I bet they won't give up that paper, if push comes to shove. :D
Give up that paper? The NFL is behind the players, so they are not going to be fired. So, what are you referring to?

There is obviously a problem with racial prejudice in this country (or, at the very least, a perceived problem) that many people feel strongly about. Whether or not you think it is legitimate has absolutely nothing to do with it. The President should try to unite not divide. What could possible be the harm of inviting the players to discuss the issue?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Give up that paper? The NFL is behind the players, so they are not going to be fired. So, what are you referring to?

There is obviously a problem with racial prejudice in this country (or, at the very least, a perceived problem) that many people feel strongly about. Whether or not you think it is legitimate has absolutely nothing to do with it. The President should try to unite not divide. What could possible be the harm of inviting the players to discuss the issue?

Boycott. Are they willing to lose all their money for their principles.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Doesn't feel he has to. He believes his position is supported by a majority of folks.

He feels he is making a statement, he feels he is right about it, he feels he has the support of a majority of folks.

Are they ever going to get together to discuss their differences? I doubt it. The moral divide is too great and I suspect it to only get larger.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Boycott?! Good luck with that. Never going to happen.

But, it doesn't matter. Many people will stop protesting many issues if their employers threaten to fire them.

As an American, I stand behind their right to protest peacefully. They think racial prejudice in the Government and police brutality are real issues worth fighting. If Trump can tell private businesses to fire employees for protesting while he is working, why shouldn't NFL players be able to make political statements while they are working?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Doesn't feel he has to. He believes his position is supported by a majority of folks.

He feels he is making a statement, he feels he is right about it, he feels he has the support of a majority of folks.

Are they ever going to get together to discuss their differences? I doubt it. The moral divide is too great and I suspect it to only get larger.
Why do you think he believes that a majority of people agree with him on this issue?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

There are undoubtfully racial problems and serious issues, but I doubt it's to the extent that people are putting it out as in terms of a nationwide epidemic.

I don't buy it entirely, and those issues are blown hugely out of proportion.

We're just not in the 40s and 50s anymore as much as people try to think and make it out like it is.

Most black folks are right on par with whites today and most people, white and black, don't even casually talk about or consider race in the real world because most people in this country actually get along reasonably well with some exceptions made to some areas of the country that people like the spotlight as an overall national epidemic.

I think a lot of people, the majority of all colors and races, are just getting sick of hearing the continual saga of whites continually oppressing black folks for no reason other than their skin color. Most white people today are not like that as much as some minorities try to make you think that most white people are that way.

Also why was the anthem itself was selected in the first place? Are there racist inclinations within the anthem itself? It's just a sorry way to go about protesting things in my opinion. Their are much better platforms and venues that are much more effective than this.

I still maintain people just want to attend the game enjoy it and watch people play ball and escape rather than get followed by all the crap that's going on outside the stadium without it having yet once again being pushed in everyone's faces that had nothing to do with what's going on by a vocal minority group.

People just want to enjoy a good football game for the time, whoop and holler, eat hot dogs and drink some beer. End of story.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think a lot of people, the majority of all colors and races, are just getting sick of hearing the continual saga of whites continually oppressing black folks for no reason other than their skin color. Most white people today are not like that as much as some minorities try to make you think that most white people are that way.
Even though I agree that most whites are not like that, there are plenty who still are, and they often cause trouble as we have repeatedly seen and sometimes not seen. This protest didn't pop up for no reason at all.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
So, are you saying that you don't think there is a problem with racial prejudice in the US, or are you saying that the players are lying about their reasoning for protesting?

What are you basing this opinion on?

I don't understand how anyone could be against protesting racial prejudice, as they players are claiming to do. So, I would assume that your disgust with this must be based on something else. Please explain.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
There are undoubtfully racial problems and serious issues, but I doubt it's to the extent that people are putting it out as in terms of a nationwide epidemic.

I don't buy it entirely, and those issues are blown hugely out of proportion.

We're just not in the 40s and 50s anymore as much as people try to think and make it out like it is.

Most black folks are right on par with whites today and most people, white and black, don't even casually talk about or consider race in the real world because most people in this country actually get along reasonably well with some exceptions made to some areas of the country that people like the spotlight as an overall national epidemic.

Also why was the anthem itself was selected in the first place? Are there racist inclinations within the anthem itself? It's just a sorry way to go about protesting things in my opinion. Their are much better platforms and venues that are much more effective than this.

I still maintain people just want to attend the game enjoy it and watch people play ball and escape rather than get followed by all the crap that's going on outside the stadium without it having yet once again being pushed in everyone's faces that had nothing to do with what's going on by a vocal minority group.

People just want to enjoy a good football game for the time, whoop and holler, eat hot dogs and drink some beer. End of story.
Why do you think racism is not an issue anymore in the U.S.? What are you basing this claim on?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Come to the White House and let's discuss how we can attack this problem.

Are they approaching him? Do they have ideas how to solve this problem? Did they organize a venue and ask him or any other leaders to appear and assist? Should they just sit back, or rather take a knee, and wait for leaders to come to them? What public forums have sprung up now that they've raised awareness and what part did they have in creating them? How much $$ have they contributed to this effort? So my question still stands: what are they doing other than grandstanding?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Are they approaching him? Do they have ideas how to solve this problem? Did they organize a venue and ask him or any other leaders to appear and assist? Should they just sit back, or rather take a knee, and wait for leaders to come to them? What public forums have sprung up now that they've raised awareness and what part did they have in creating them? How much $$ have they contributed to this effort? So my question still stands: what are they doing other than grandstanding?
They are creating awareness that there is, in fact, an ongoing issue with racial prejudice in this country. This appears to be necessary, as there are still many in denial about racial prejudice in certain parts of the United States. Awareness is the first step. They have to get people talking about the issue. Now we will have to see what they do with this growing awareness. But, awareness comes first.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do you think racism is not an issue anymore in the U.S.? What are you basing this claim on?

Scalia said so. From Antonin Scalia Declares 'Racism is Over'

"Even the most casual student of our country’s legal system should know that racism hasn’t existed since 1964 when we passed the Civil Rights Act. So obviously there’s no possible way for my statement to be considered racist if racism hasn’t existed for fifty years! I mean come on, racism? It’s 2015 people, racism is over."