• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump files lawsuit against NY Times

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Slander and defamation of character out weigh freedom of speech and have to be answered for. Too many seem not to realize that.

It will be interesting to see how Trump reacts if he wins this lawsuit just to have the verdict be applied to his political ads, conferences, tweets, etc...

We Never Know

No Slack
It will be interesting to see how Trump reacts if he wins this lawsuit just to have the verdict be applied to his political ads, conferences, tweets, etc...
Sure he will. It will be just another brick he will use as see how people want me gone and the levels they will stoop to.

Like it or not people need to realize attacking Trump with BS only brings him more support and makes him stronger. The incompetent impeachment is good evidence that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
IMO, a snowflake whines about what is, whines because he can't change it and whines because he wants others to change it.
Trump does all of that. And more when it comes to whining and making excuses.
Challenge him and he will call you out with his power that he is hungry with.
Challenge him and, what? He'll wage an ill fated trade war because he's an idiot? He'll bomb your air port that's not really of value anyways? He'll bark back if you bark at him? I'd love to challenge in a duel of words this most notable of cowards, a man who is an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, amd the owner of not one good quality. (Shakespeare)
Wishing they fail(either Obama or Trump) just shows stupidity of party lovers.
If you think I'm that petty you are seriously mistaken. It's something I've played "whack-a-lib" with, visit over the economy and wanting to see it fail to hurt Trump.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What do you think would happen if someone wrote an opinion piece in a major news outlet that Disney was run by pedophiles? Sure there is freedom of speech but I'm pretty sure some lawyers would be involved fairly quickly and the word libel used.
It's probably happened and hasn't caught too much attention. If you Google it, I'm curious what comes up.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Sure he will.
He will what?

It will be just another brick he will use as see how people want me gone and the levels they will stoop to.
Trump wants you gone?

Like it or not people need to realize attacking Trump with BS only brings him more support and makes him stronger. The incompetent impeachment is good evidence that.
Huh?
What does that have to do with how Trump would react if the verdict is also applied to all his bold face lies?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
It's probably happened and hasn't caught too much attention. If you Google it, I'm curious what comes up.

It appears in 2018 police pretended to be boys and girls online and agreed to meet predators at a disney resort, 13 of them were employees apparently.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump isn't a snowflake. IMO, a snowflake whines about what is, whines because he can't change it and whines because he wants others to change it.

I always thought a "snowflake" was someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them (as they do to everyone else) because they're so "special." They're the ones for whom political correctness was invented in the first place. They need to have their "safe spaces" lest they read or hear anything that might upset them. "Snowflakes" tend to want to ban people from social media, as they're typically the kind of people who can't stand the heat (even if they still like to dish it out).

Does that describe Trump? Maybe. Although instead of suing for libel, he would more likely put pressure on their ISP or similar services to have the New York Times kicked off the internet. That's what "snowflakes" do, but I don't think Trump is doing that. Not yet, anyway. Those who cheered about kicking "deplorables" off the internet scarcely realized the same tactic could be used against them. They didn't think ahead.

Like it or not(I don't care for Trump) but Trump is the most powerful person in the U.S.. Challenge him and he will call you out with his power that he is hungry with. He is the commander and chief of every American.
Wishing he fails is just as stupid as the repubs wishing Obama would fail.
My point is whether one half loves them or one half hates them, they still are/were the commander and chief. Wishing they fail(either Obama or Trump) just shows stupidity of party lovers.

I don't view the president as any kind of "holy" figure or someone above reproach. It's always been an American pastime to criticize and/or satirize the president. Some presidents respond differently. Nixon forbade anyone in his administration to talk to the Washington Post, which was persona non grata to the Nixon Administration.

Shaul

Premium Member
Allow me to note that none of the defenders of the NYT here are saying its assertion that there really was a deal between President Trump and the Russians is true.

I think there is an entirely different motivation here for President Trump, one far more important. He is using this case as a foil to go to a court and get a ruling that as a matter of fact it can’t be proven there was any such deal. That’s what he wants. Pummeling the NYT is just an added benefit.

pearl

What Trump would really like to do is a government takeover of the free press, it works for Russia, N Korea, China etc., why not for him?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What Trump would really like to do is a government takeover of the free press, it works for Russia, N Korea, China etc., why not for him?

I suppose anything is possible, although there have been precedents set even in our country about restricting or limiting the press, such as during times of war. The McCarthy era allowed for the practice of blacklisting which also inhibited freedom of the press. But it didn't quash it entirely.

But the other side of that, at least when considering large behemoth media corporations, internet providers/social media, and powerful newspapers like the New York Times or the Washington Post - they have also become powerful entities which can make or break political figures and influence public opinion. But, just as with politics, there's an open marketplace of ideas, so that no single individual or company can have a monopoly on truth.

Sometimes I wonder, though, especially when he says "there will be more coming." Maybe he's got some kind of list? Who can say? Perhaps the only thing left standing in the end will be the "EIB Network."

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Civil action lawsuits are also a form of freedom. One doesn't take away from the other.

*Note what Trump is not doing -- Using the government in a fascist, dictatorial way by abusing his position as president... Rather, he's doing it independently like all citizens do.
It's interesting....
So many claim that Trump aspires to be dictator...the next Hitler.
He's destroying democracy...he'll remain in office illegally...etc.
And yet, how many dictators pursue legal remedies in the courts
for libel or slander?
I don't know how it will be adjudicated, but it all seems perfectly
normal in our court system.

(Btw, the NYT does have internal problems with anti-Trump bias
to the point where even an editor from there (Jill Abramson)
criticized it publicly.)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
...But no, he's done no special favors for your country. So I can understand your contempt for him.
He's not done us any favors. Oh, make it so the CDC cant mention transgender in research paper and put barriers for the EPA to discuss global warming.

joe1776

How often are tabloids successfully sued? Honest question.
Understand that lawyers are willing to take on lawsuits because the insurance carriers are willing to pay something to make the case go away. They're willing because legal expenses for defense are very high and there's no telling what a jury will do.

So, if an out-of-court settlement is made, that doesn't mean that the newspaper was guilty of libel.

joe1776

It's interesting....
So many claim that Trump aspires to be dictator...the next Hitler.
He's destroying democracy...he'll remain in office illegally...etc.
And yet, how many dictators pursue legal remedies in the courts
for libel or slander?...
Why wouldn't a dictator use both legal and illegal methods of consolidating his power? Trump is dumb but not dumb enough to pass on such a strategy.