• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump delivers "America First" trade message at conference

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Trump delivers 'America First' trade message to Asia conference, says U.S. will only cut deals with individual nations

“We are not going to let the United States be taken advantage of anymore,” Trump told an audience of business leaders assembled in Vietnam for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit, which annually gathers leaders from across the region and around the world to discuss trade and development.

“I am always going to put America first the same way that I expect all of you in this room to put your countries first.”

After he complained that “while we lowered market barriers, other countries didn’t open their markets to us” — something the now scuttled Trans-Pacific Partnership would have done much to change for the U.S. — the president responded to an apparent heckler in the crowd.

“Funny. They must have been one of the beneficiaries,” he said, gazing into the audience. “What country do you come from, sir?”

The tough critique contrasted with Trump’s rhetoric in China leading up to Friday’s speech, when he muted his criticism of the country as he sought to build a warmer personal bond with President Xi Jinping. Indeed, the only mention of China by name on Friday came when Trump repeated statements he alongside Xi on Thursday, blaming his predecessors rather than China for the U.S. trade deficit..

“I do not blame China or any other country, of which there are many, for taking advantage of the United States on trade,” Trump said. “If their representatives are able to get away with it, they are just doing their jobs.”

“I wish previous administrations in my country saw what was happening and did something about it,” he continued. “They did not, but I will.”

I'm not sure how serious Trump is about this, or whether he intends to follow through with his plan to make trade agreements with individual nations. However, I think he's correct in that it's not the fault of other countries (namely China) for our trade deficit, since they're only doing what is best for their country and putting their country's interests first. Previous US administrations have not put America first, and this is why our economy has been in such dismal shape these past decades.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Trump delivers 'America First' trade message to Asia conference, says U.S. will only cut deals with individual nations

I'm not sure how serious Trump is about this, or whether he intends to follow through with his plan to make trade agreements with individual nations. However, I think he's correct in that it's not the fault of other countries (namely China) for our trade deficit, since they're only doing what is best for their country and putting their country's interests first. Previous US administrations have not put America first, and this is why our economy has been in such dismal shape these past decades.
Makes sense. But even our own corporate infrastructure abandoned America by going overseas and leaving millions without job security and stability.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

He'll never put pull it off because his entire state department is a skeleton crew. How does he expect to hammer out any details, filled with complexity, with literally no one actually present in his administration to do the work?

'I'm The Only One That Matters,' Trump Says Of State Dept. Job Vacancies

He must have just walked into rooms his whole life, spouted some nonesense, everyone rolled their eyes after he left, and then his lawyers and executives worked out his business for him.

I'm not sure at this point he actually understands how business or government actually works. More and more, he just sounds like the way my working-class grandpa used to sound. . . In fact, my grandpa probably would have loved Trump because he does say the kind of stuff my grandpa would say. . . But as much as I loved my grandpa, that's bad news for all of us.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Makes sense. But even our own corporate infrastructure abandoned America by going overseas and leaving millions without job security and stability.
That is what happens when you've those who put global inter-dependency above the people on one side and those who put corporate profits above the people on the other. Everybody wins, except, you know, the people.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you have stats on that dismal economy compared to other nations. China is actually right next to the US.
List of countries by government budget - Wikipedia

Stats? I live here. I see what's around me.

But if you need stats, here is a chart which shows that the US economy has remained stagnant since the 1970s.

Wage_stagnation.png

For a country of this size to experience zero economic growth in that length of time, that's pretty dismal, don't you think?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Stats? I live here. I see what's around me.

But if you need stats, here is a chart which shows that the US economy has remained stagnant since the 1970s.

Wage_stagnation.png

For a country of this size to experience zero economic growth in that length of time, that's pretty dismal, don't you think?
Did you see our budget, we are twice the revenue of China and China twicee that of Japan. Nobody will catch us, Trump lies through his teeth about how horrible we are doing.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The "fault" if one wants to call it that, is that most Americans want cheap goods, with Walmart just being one poster-child for that. Businesses correspond accordingly by automating and outsourcing. Then with an abundance of labor without jobs or only in poor-paying jobs, manufacturers and service supplyers can keep wages low with fewer and fewer benefits.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you see our budget, we are twice the revenue of China and China twicee that of Japan. Nobody will catch us, Trump lies through his teeth about how horrible we are doing.

I see things more at "street level." Besides, our budget is mostly borrowed money.

There was once a time when a single income was enough to support a family. Now, it takes two incomes. I see that as an indication of a poor economy.

There was once a time when banks didn't charge ATM fees, but if they felt the need to start doing so to raise revenue, then I see that as an indication of "trouble in paradise."

There was once a time when a company's typical health insurance plan covered everything - no co-pays or deductibles. But now, even with insurance, most people can't get medical care because the co-pays and deductibles are too high. I see that as indication of a poor economy.

I see roads in disrepair, potholes and cracks everywhere - while the government claims they don't have enough money to fix it. I see that as an indication of a poor economy.

I see businesses closing, boarded up shopping plazas, more and more homeless out on the streets. I see that as an indication of a poor economy.

What do you see? Where do you live?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I see things more at "street level." Besides, our budget is mostly borrowed money.

There was once a time when a single income was enough to support a family. Now, it takes two incomes. I see that as an indication of a poor economy.

There was once a time when banks didn't charge ATM fees, but if they felt the need to start doing so to raise revenue, then I see that as an indication of "trouble in paradise."

There was once a time when a company's typical health insurance plan covered everything - no co-pays or deductibles. But now, even with insurance, most people can't get medical care because the co-pays and deductibles are too high. I see that as indication of a poor economy.

I see roads in disrepair, potholes and cracks everywhere - while the government claims they don't have enough money to fix it. I see that as an indication of a poor economy.

I see businesses closing, boarded up shopping plazas, more and more homeless out on the streets. I see that as an indication of a poor economy.

What do you see? Where do you live?
Again, did you see the budget link, every country in that list lives on debt except for Hong Kong and we have one of the highest surplus so I fail to see the issue. Nobody is beating the capitalists in the US except for Hong Kong giving some competition in number of rich people. I see a thriving economy and I live in a blue state, in a city, non-rural We have such a high revenue no country can touch US, so it makes sense US are able to spend more.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Again, did you see the budget link, every country in that list lives on debt except for Hong Kong and we have one of the highest surplus so I fail to see the issue. Nobody is beating the capitalists in the US except for Hong Kong giving some competition in number of rich people. I see a thriving economy and I live in a blue state, in a city, non-rural We have such a high revenue no country can touch US, so it makes sense US are able to spend more.

I don't really care if the 1% at the top are doing great. It doesn't mean jack to the rest of the country.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I don't really care if the 1% at the top are doing great. It doesn't mean jack to the rest of the country.
I'm not talking about the one percents revenue, I am talking about the revenue of the US government who has such a high budget that even with our huge deficit we are barely one percent less surplus than most countries, not that we spend it wisely at all, we could be doing so much good with all that money instead of redirecting all the funds to the military. The US is making twice the money than any country in the world and Trump aims to make that gap wider at the expense of the rest of the world.