• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump could win

ecco

Veteran Member
if she runs on the ticket as a black women

she ought to be black

Define "black" in terms of a person's race.

Now compare your definition to this...

Mixed Race America - Who Is Black? One Nation's Definition | Jefferson's Blood | FRONTLINE | PBS
To be considered black in the United States not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black. It is also known as the "one black ancestor rule," some courts have called it the "traceable amount rule," and anthropologists call it the "hypo-descent rule," meaning that racially mixed persons are assigned the status of the subordinate group. This definition emerged from the American South to become the nation's definition, generally accepted by whites and blacks. Blacks had no other choice. As we shall see, this American cultural definition of blacks is taken for granted as readily by judges, affirmative action officers, and black protesters as it is by Ku Klux Klansmen.
See, your definition matters not.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You stated you support neither.
Ther are night and day differences between Trump and Biden.
Since those differences are not enough for you to support one over the other, I stand by my comment.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Similarities or differences, doesn't matter "in my point".

Are you saying that I should choose one or the other rather than just not voting regardless their differences and similarities they have with each other?

Not voting for them for their individual sake regardless of their similarities and differences?

In other words, you want me to pick a side?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You just want somebody to say it, so I will: "It is not racist or sexist to believe that black candidates, or women, should have their records and views critically examined as part of choosing who to vote for."
Actually, I wasn't looking for that at all.
But it's a good thing to see in print.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Define "black" in terms of a person's race.

Now compare your definition to this...

Mixed Race America - Who Is Black? One Nation's Definition | Jefferson's Blood | FRONTLINE | PBS
To be considered black in the United States not even half of one's ancestry must be African black. But will one-fourth do, or one-eighth, or less? The nation's answer to the question 'Who is black?" has long been that a black is any person with any known African black ancestry. This definition reflects the long experience with slavery and later with Jim Crow segregation. In the South it became known as the "one-drop rule,'' meaning that a single drop of "black blood" makes a person a black. It is also known as the "one black ancestor rule," some courts have called it the "traceable amount rule," and anthropologists call it the "hypo-descent rule," meaning that racially mixed persons are assigned the status of the subordinate group. This definition emerged from the American South to become the nation's definition, generally accepted by whites and blacks. Blacks had no other choice. As we shall see, this American cultural definition of blacks is taken for granted as readily by judges, affirmative action officers, and black protesters as it is by Ku Klux Klansmen.
See, your definition matters not.
I let her choose her race, given that "race" today also
means ethnicity, which is subject to choice & variation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I let her choose her race, given that "race" today also
means ethnicity, which is subject to choice & variation.
ALL of my mother's side of the family is Spanish

but I don't speak the language
I look European....as in Spain

you wouldn't be able to guess

but in terms of politics.....race isn't suppose to matter

unless someone keeps pointing fingers to say.....
HEY she's black
a black women on the ticket!

I think not

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
ALL of my mother's side of the family is Spanish

but I don't speak the language
I look European....as in Spain

you wouldn't be able to guess

but in terms of politics.....race isn't suppose to matter

unless someone keeps pointing fingers to say.....
HEY she's black
a black women on the ticket!

I think not
My race is now atheist.
42andMe says that I'm 100% atheist.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Actually, the polling was overall pretty much right. What was wrong was how the media interpreted the polls. Most journalists don't know a whole lot about polling, statistics, and probability, and sometimes it really shows. One of those times was 2016. The stories they put out gave people the false impression that Ms Clinton had things all but sewn up.

Everyone in America should be reading Nate Silver's 538 website during election years. Generally speaking, it's one of the best sources of information on what the polling really means.

@Stevicus and @Daemon Sophic. I have an apology to make to you guys -- as well as anyone else who read the post I've quoted above. When I went back this morning to double-check that I had given you accurate information about the 2016 polls, I found I had only done so as far as the national polls were concerned. Although there were some outliers in the national polling, most of the better pollsters came reasonably close to predicting the final margin by which Ms Clinton won the popular vote. So far, so good.

But I screwed up when it came to providing you with accurate information concerning the majority of the polling in the key battleground states that Mr. Trump won to capture the Electoral College, and hence, the election. There, I failed to mention two ways in which most of the polls themselves were inaccurate.

First, it seems a lot of the pollsters did not use an education screen when compiling their results. In practice, that meant they did not factor in enough non-college educated voters to reveal that those voters were breaking heavily for Mr. Trump. Since those were the voters that put him over the top, their polls were misleading in showing Ms. Clinton as having a significant lead over him.

Second, a study recently came out showing that in 2016, in the battleground states, the "Shy Trump Voter Effect" was a key factor in throwing off the polls. You see, a certain percentage of the voters are "shy" about telling pollsters that they are going to vote for Mr. Trump due to his reputation. Hence, they lied and denied that they had decided to vote for him. A few days ago, a new study came out providing strong evidence that the Shy Effect was larger than previously thought in the 2016 battleground states. So, that was yet another way in which the polls themselves in those states were misleading.

Last, please recall that Mr. Trump won his battleground states by exceedingly narrow margins. By less that 10,000 votes in at least one of the states. So the inaccuracies in the polls made a telling difference.

Again, my apologies. I hope I've cleared it up now.

ecco

Veteran Member
she looks East Indian to me
In addition, Wikipedia at Kamala Harris - Wikipedia provides a brief report of her parents but does not list earlier generations:

“Kamala Devi Harris was born on October 20, 1964, in Oakland, California. Her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, was a breast cancer scientist who had emigrated from Tamil Nadu, India, in 1960 to pursue a doctorate in endocrinology at UC Berkeley. Her father, Donald J. Harris, is a Stanford University emeritus professor of economics, who emigrated from British Jamaica in 1961 for graduate study in economics at UC Berkeley. Her mother’s family is of Brahmin lineage.”

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not at this point. If you haven't been able to see what Trump has done to this country, then I hope you continue to straddle the fence.

So, I have to pick a side and if not, I'm supposed to be straddling the fence?

How did you come to that conclusion just based on not picking either party?

How does not choosing mean I do not know what Trump is doing to this country?

Assumptions of my stance in politics aren't facts. How did you come to these conclusions?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Similarities or differences, doesn't matter "in my point".

Are you saying that I should choose one or the other rather than just not voting regardless their differences and similarities they have with each other?

Not voting for them for their individual sake regardless of their similarities and differences?

In other words, you want me to pick a side?
I strongly suspect that people who urge you to vote
want you to support their side. If if they don't think
that, then they'll be upset if you vote the wrong way.

I see both pluses & minuses for Trump & Biden.
It's a good year for me to vote Libertarian.
And however you vote or don't, I'm OK with it.
Some people often don't understand different
perspectives.

Btw, if you vote Libertarian, I'll give you a picture
of chocolate.

ecco

Veteran Member

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you really understand what Trump is doing to this country, a decision should be easy.

I came to my conclusions based on the fact that you said:

Most likely.... I may prefer, I may choose. I may take a conscious decision to not vote (for whatever decisive and justified reason)

What you're doing is assuming what my intent is because I may decide not to vote. Assumptions aren't facts.

Having my made the decision yet doesn't mean one is indecisive.

I may go to the movies. I'll have to check my schedule first. It's just saying a probability of choice.

Indecisive is more "I don't know" who I would vote for...

I could vote, but....

The two are different.

If I said I'll vote for trump you'd probably say the same thing. Better to ask if I'm indecisive not assuming I am and reacting to your assumption as if it's true

ecco

Veteran Member
Most likely.... I may prefer, I may choose. I may take a conscious decision to not vote (for whatever decisive and justified reason)

What you're doing is assuming what my intent is because I may decide not to vote. Assumptions aren't facts.

Having my made the decision yet doesn't mean one is indecisive.

I may go to the movies. I'll have to check my schedule first. It's just saying a probability of choice.

Indecisive is more "I don't know" who I would vote for...

I could vote, but....

The two are different.

If I said I'll vote for trump you'd probably say the same thing. Better to ask if I'm indecisive not assuming I am and reacting to your assumption as if it's true

That ain't what you originally said:
Most likely I won't vote. I don't support either.