• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump commutes sentence of his buddy

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Clemency is not necessarily corruption, but my opinion is that it is way too overused, including by both Obama and Clinton. This power should be highly restricted by a Constitutional amendment, imo, whereas a decision by the appropriate lower federal court and/or the SCOTUS would also be necessary before pardoning or granting clemency.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Clemency is not necessarily corruption, but my opinion is that it is way too overused, including by both Obama and Clinton. This power should be highly restricted by a Constitutional amendment, imo, whereas a decision by the appropriate lower federal court and/or the SCOTUS would also be necessary before pardoning or granting clemency.
Agreed!! I just don't like when people look at the logs in one persons eye when all eyes have logs. (and at the expense of not admitting that they all do)

Too much abuse by too many presidents.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Basically the whole thing is whoopity do like that hasn't ever happened before in the past.

Trump is just keeping up with political tradition.
Aye, it's a big nothingburger...a nontroversy....compared to real issues,
eg, war, economy, plagues. Presidents have long used & abused this
power, but the actual effect upon the country if some bad guy is handed
a get-out-of-jail-free card is nil. Even the pardon Marc Rich purchased
didn't cause real harm. I don't even know anyone else who objected
to it.
Unless it's a 2nd term Prez, we can still voice an objection by voting.
I don't see a big need to limit this presidential power.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Aye, it's a big nothingburger...a nontroversy....compared to real issues,
eg, war, economy, plagues. Presidents have long used & abused this
power, but the actual effect upon the country if some bad guy is handed
a get-out-of-jail-free card is nil. Even the pardon Marc Rich purchased
didn't cause real harm. I don't even know anyone else who objected
to it.
Unless it's a 2nd term Prez, we can still voice an objection by voting.
I don't see a big need to limit this presidential power.

This is said with my tongue in my cheek, but you guys are weird. You fought a war to become independent from the monarchy, and are now slowly building an American version under the guise of a democracy.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Basically the whole thing is whoopity do like that hasn't ever happened before in the past.

Trump is just keeping up with political tradition.

I kept hearing political tradition was bad, and the whole reason for choosing him was that he'd turn tradition on its head...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is said with my tongue in my cheek, but you guys are weird. You fought a war to become independent from the monarchy, and are now slowly building an American version under the guise of a democracy.
Our system has always been this way.
Trump is nothing new in this regard.