• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump approaching 10,000 lies since becoming POTUS

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
And his number of lies per day keeps going up. He started at 5-9 lies per day for his first year in office and is now up to an average of 22 per day.

This is, of course, ignored by his supporters who focus on occasional mistakes and a small number of lies by those on the left.

And he's so dumb/ignorant that he does not know that Congress has sole responsibility for impeachment which is just one of the latest utterly ignorant/stupid things to emerge from his mouth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...as-made-false-or-misleading-claims-over-days/

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
And his number of lies per day keeps going up. He started at 5-9 lies per day for his first year in office and is now up to an average of 22 per day.

This is, of course, ignored by his supporters who focus on occasional mistakes and a small number of lies by those on the left.

And he's so dumb/ignorant that he does not know that Congress has sole responsibility for impeachment which is just one of the latest utterly ignorant/stupid things to emerge from his mouth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...as-made-false-or-misleading-claims-over-days/

As long as Donald J. Trump keeps most of his campaign promises to us Trump Supporters, we can forgive Trump's white lies.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

And how do I know that Washington Post isn't lying? :D

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

"No one knows what it's like to be the bad man, to be the sad man behind blue eyes. No one knows what it's like to be hated, to be fated to telling only lies. But my dreams they aren't this empty as my conscious seems to be. I have hours, only lonely, my love is vengeance that's never free." .Behind Blue Eyes.. The Who

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think the most important question for Trump followers now is how can a person of any religious faith or humanist inclinations still support Trump? IMO, they can't unless they're totally willing to renounce what they have claimed to believe.

As Gandhi said, "To cooperate with evil is evil", and so much of what Trump has said and done is without a doubt evil.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think the most important question for Trump followers now is how can a person of any religious faith or humanist inclinations still support Trump? IMO, they can't unless they're totally willing to renounce what they have claimed to believe.

As Gandhi said, "To cooperate with evil is evil", and so much of what Trump has said and done is without a doubt evil.

Ultimately, I just become obedient:

1 Timothy 2:1-2 The Passion Translation (TPT)
Instruction on Prayer
2 Most of all, I’m writing to encourage you to pray with gratitude to God. Pray for all men with all forms of prayers and requests as you intercede with intense passion. 2 And pray for every political leader and representative, so that we would be able to live tranquil, undisturbed lives, as we worship the awe-inspiring God with pure hearts.

Notice, it didn't say pray only when you support them, don't pray if you don't, don't pray if they are evil, pray if they are good.

I support Trump when he does good and I pray. I don't support Trump when he does evil but I still pray.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

It's adorable how certain and confident they are that God would abide their double standards and cherry picking. As long as they're homophobic, misogynist, scientifically illiterate, and have an (R) following their name, then they're good with god. No matter if they're prideful, greedy, dishonest adulterers and fornicators. Praise the Lord. :rolleyes:

metis

Ultimately, I just become obedient:

1 Timothy 2:1-2 The Passion Translation (TPT)
Instruction on Prayer
2 Most of all, I’m writing to encourage you to pray with gratitude to God. Pray for all men with all forms of prayers and requests as you intercede with intense passion. 2 And pray for every political leader and representative, so that we would be able to live tranquil, undisturbed lives, as we worship the awe-inspiring God with pure hearts.

Notice, it didn't say pray only when you support them, don't pray if you don't, don't pray if they are evil, pray if they are good.

I support Trump when he does good and I pray. I don't support Trump when he does evil but I still pray.
Well said, and I fully agree. However, sooner of later one has to take a position if someone is continually doing "evil", much like Jesus did with those who he believed were acting hypocritically, and also what God did when he punished the Israelites for not following the Law close enough.

As my father, an old Army vet under MacArthur in the Pacific that I didn't see for the first three years of my life, used to say in rather blunt terms, "S**t of get off the pot!", and he wasn't referring to my potty habits. To ride the fence on something as important as this will only give one a very sore crotch.

Fortunately, we are seeing many people of faith who are basically saying "Enough is enough!" about Trump, but unfortunately we are seeing many others who continue to defend Trump no matter what he says or does. I know some of what he has said and done bothers you because we've talked about this before, but I do believe sooner or later you're gonna have to make a choice as get closer to 2020-- iow, "S**t or get off the pot!". ;)

"See ya" at church, and have yourself a great weekend, my friend. .

metis

No matter if they're prideful, greedy, dishonest adulterers and fornicators. Praise the Lord. :rolleyes:
I hear ya.

And one of the problems is that so many Evangelicals and Catholics especially voted for Trump on the basis of one main issue: abortion. Yes, to me that's an important issue, but it ain't the only issue. Matter of fact, it's never referred to in any of the scriptures other than the issue under Jewish Law whereas if a person causes a women to miscarry it is not treated as a "murder", which could be punishable by stoning, but was punished by the issuance of a fine instead.

In focusing just on that issue, what's often being ignored by so many is what are called the "Seven Deadly Sins", which not only Catholics agree are rather serious but also many of those in other denominations. And here they are:
pride
greed

lust
envy
gluttony

wrath
sloth

Now, how does Trump do when we consider those items that are over and over again referred to in the scriptures in very negative terms? So, are we to just ignore them and just go with the issue of abortion as if it's the only one that really counts? I certainly can't, and I felt much the same way when Bill Clinton had his affair and lied and when Al Frankin groped a woman, both of which I felt should have resigned and where the latter did.

BTW, I am Pro-Life, but I'm not going to get into that here.

sealchan

I think many of us have to figure out how to balance responding to each instance of the dumb and not allow it to become normalized vs maintaining a sense that this constant spewing of narcissism won't severely corrode our democracy. As a member of the older half of America I sincerely hope that the vast majority of the younger half sees this as a call to taking up the work of actively participating in our democracy because the supposedly older and wiser who support a system where our POTUS actually looks good to some people needs serious work.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I tend to agree with you here, although I'm wondering what it actually means to "support" Trump. Some people are obviously zealous enthusiasts and partisans for Trump, while others might be more lukewarm or take the lesser-of-two-evils approach to politics.

As to what Gandhi said, I can see the truth of it. But I'm not sure what it could lead to. I suppose there could be more protests and non-violent demonstrations - something similar to the 60s. In '68 the Democratic convention turned out to be a fiasco. Not sure if we could see something like that in 2020, but I suppose anything is possible.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think many of us have to figure out how to balance responding to each instance of the dumb and not allow it to become normalized vs maintaining a sense that this constant spewing of narcissism won't severely corrode our democracy. As a member of the older half of America I sincerely hope that the vast majority of the younger half sees this as a call to taking up the work of actively participating in our democracy because the supposedly older and wiser who support a system where our POTUS actually looks good to some people needs serious work.

I'm not too sure about the younger crowd myself, although they do seem a bit more politically restive than when I came of age in the 80s. I think a lot of people have been losing faith in the system. I think younger people do have a righteous grievance in considering the amount of debt and the overall mess, which our generation is leaving them. Of course, a lot of it was left over from the last generation.

metis

Some people are obviously zealous enthusiasts and partisans for Trump, while others might be more lukewarm or take the lesser-of-two-evils approach to politics.
But even the lukewarm could make it clear to Trump that enough is enough, but what we still see is about 30+% of the American public just seem to back him no matter what he says and does.

Basic empathy has it that we should be concerned for others, not just ourselves, and yet is seems that we have a significant minority in this country that just don't seem to care-- unless something bad happens to them.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
As long as Donald J. Trump keeps most of his campaign promises to us Trump Supporters, we can forgive Trump's white lies.
I wonder what you are going to say when there is Democrat President. And there will be one, even if you don’t think it will happen in 2020 you know it will happen eventually. And they are pursuing policies you don’t like. And maybe they even tell a lie or two at some point.

And her or his supporters say they don’t care as long as she or he keeps supporting progressive policies. hmm

ecco

Veteran Member
Yeserii Bob.
Thousands of coal miners are working today who weren't working in 2016.
Thousands of automobile workers are working today who weren't working in 2016.
Mexico has paid for the wall and the wall will be done by 2020.
The swamp got drained: Cohen - gone. Flynn - gone. Etc.
Hillary got locked up.

Did I miss any?