• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump announce tariffs that shock rest of GOP.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Shocked GOP senators pan Trump's tariff announcement

What are your thoughts on this, particularly those of you who are conservative?

The idea I think is to reduce reliance on imported steel and aluminum making it viable to restart these industries domestically.

Either way the consumer pays more. So do we want cheaper products or do we want to create an environment for job growth.

If we continue to use imports there is less need for domestic industry.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The idea I think is to reduce reliance on imported steel and aluminum making it viable to restart these industries domestically.

Either way the consumer pays more. So do we want cheaper products or do we want to create an environment for job growth.

For me I would say job growth is essential for this country to survive. That would be worth the extra expense in the long-term.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The economics of tarrifs are tricky. As long as we have a national budget deficit we are in effect adding money to the national money supply. A trade deficit helps drain this excess money out of our system.

Tarrifs restrict this export of excess money. This would cause a buildup of money supply in the US which leads to inflation here. This would need to be balanced by a decline in deficit spending or an increase of money reserves order by the Fed to banks.

And inflation is an invisible tax. It devalues the money that people have and in effect lowers their wages, and if people get a pay raise to take inflation into account it raises their taxes.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
For me I would say job growth is essential for this country to survive. That would be worth the extra expense in the long-term.

I guess the problem with the GOP is this will affect industries which depend on steel and aluminum. Their cost is going to go up. Means harder to turn a profit.

Since industry generally support Republicans this move will upset the profits of manufactures depending on those imports possibly reducing contributions from these industries to GOP lawmakers.

I'd think the Democrats should be very happy with this. It's a win win for them.

Trump the manchurian candidate? Assassinate the GOP from the inside.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm waiting to see if this was just another lie on his part. My first reaction was to take this seriously but given who we're dealing with, I have to remember not to trust anything he says. He could very easily just say something else tomorrow and accuse the press once again of lying.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I guess the problem with the GOP is this will affect industries which depend on steel and aluminum. Their cost is going to go up. Means harder to turn a profit.

Since industry generally support Republicans this move will upset the profits of manufactures depending on those imports possibly reducing contributions from these industries to GOP lawmakers.

I'd think the Democrats should be very happy with this. It's a win win for them.

Trump the manchurian candidate? Assassinate the GOP from the inside.

Where I live it was not well received. I live in the city with the largest building by volume. What they make their is sold on an international market and raising the price of aluminum will definitely raise the price of their product. Since they are competing with companies outside of the U.S. this will put them at a disadvantage.

If this is such a critical industry rather than putting a tariff on the products that leads to products made with steel and aluminum being more expensive for our people and put us at a disadvantage when exporting those products it would be wiser to subsidize the U.S. makers of those products. At least we would keep the industry alive in this country if we ever needed it due to war or other emergency. Putting a tariff on a product without thinking through all of the consequences is counterproductive.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'm waiting to see if this was just another lie on his part. My first reaction was to take this seriously but given who we're dealing with, I have to remember not to trust anything he says. He could very easily just say something else tomorrow and accuse the press once again of lying.
Hyper-threats make people move on issues. He's winning with this technique right now.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
True.....if I was oblivious. Fortunately obliviaty isn't determined by biased placeholders.

So you're claiming that all of the drama, conflict, firings, resignations, etc. happening among his own team, along with the growing rift between him and his own party, are completely made up? Also, how could anyone read his tweets without concluding that he's a complete and utter buffoon?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What you're hearing is the reaction of the establishment. Yes, there are some who genuinely don't understand what he's doing, or the ones lacking the courage to take the steps necessary to put things right even though it may mean some initial setbacks--the same as real war. Those tariffs you're talking about were mostly protectionist, which I am against. Trump's are there to eliminate foreign artificial subsidies. Unfettered trade in both directions is the goal. If we had an honest media not beholding to the establishment, people, including those on the trading floors, would know that.

The same un-information happened a couple of weeks ago when the markets crashed due to fears of rising interest rates, even though an ideal interest rate is almost certainly something above 0%--if nothing else as a cushion against deflation, which would be much worse. Think 2%.
No, what I am "hearing" is from my studying of economics during both my undergrad and graduate years.

Raising these tariffs will have a ripple effect on the economy with any items that are made with steel or aluminum, plus it will encourage other countries that export such items to the U.S. to raise tariffs on some of our exports.

But what's even just as bad if not worse, is that through such recklessness, other countries will not look at us as being a dependable trading partner because who knows what else the Groper-In-Chief and his minions will do next? Why take chances when they can increase trading with more reliable trading partners? And which company is going to want to invest in our markets when they don't know what's next?

Companies and countries don't like unpredictability in this area because most contracts are multi-year, not yearly.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
No, what I am "hearing" is from my studying of economics during both my undergrad and graduate years.

Raising these tariffs will have a ripple effect on the economy with any items that are made with steel or aluminum, plus it will encourage other countries that export such items to the U.S. to raise tariffs on some of our exports.

There's positive and negative ripple effect. And goal of free-fair trade without artificial props and obstacles, will benefit everyone in the long term. It's the same principle as the new tax plan. Even the Democrats and Establishment know it will benefit the economy, but it reduces their control--THE reason we went with and income tax. Tariffs and consumption taxes are the only moral taxes there are.

But what's even just as bad if not worse, is that through such recklessness, other countries will not look at us as being a dependable trading partner because who knows what else the Groper-In-Chief and his minions will do next?

The received fair warning, and they know they were out-of-bounds anyway. When you stop appeasing a bully, there will always be a touchy if not painful transition. It's the price we pay for appeasement in the first place--and the one who stops it will always hear it from the guilty parties.

Companies and countries don't like unpredictability in this area because most contracts are multi-year, not yearly.

Trump is going for rational predictability, but again, the transition will usually be painful. And in this case, not that much.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Trump is going for rational predictability, but again, the transition will usually be painful. And in this case, not that much.
Is that why even the vast majority of conservative economists who has spoken out are horrified at what he's proposing?

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
Is that why even the vast majority of conservative economists who has spoken out are horrified at what he's proposing?

If you're talking about the negative so called conservative commentators, they are members to the Establishment, from both parties. And why should we be horrified?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

There's very little bauxite in the US, just thanks to geology. Why would it make sense to ship ore from Australia or Asia to the US and refine it there?