1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and Hillary score huge wins in New York

Discussion in 'Political Debates' started by Sultan Of Swing, Apr 20, 2016.

1. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +16,723
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    I think we now know who'll be getting the nominations this summer, as Bernie's not going to prevail and the Pubs cannot now dump Trump without the party committing suicide.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,373
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    As I said the 2.7 million lead is made up entirely of states that didn't have caucuses, if you factor in the caucus states as if a similar percentage number of people voted as in the other states, the 2.7 million lead shrinks considerably

#22 Lyndon, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Deathbydefault

Deathbydefault Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Religion:
    Non/Apatheist
    That doesn't contradict my statement at all.

4. Wirey

Wirey Fartist

Ratings:
    +4,930
    Religion:
    God-Fearing Athiest
    I agree, but I wonder if the Pubs understand that?

5. turk179

turk179 I smell something....

Ratings:
    +396
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I am sooo voting for Jill Stein for three reasons:
    1. Hillary is not Bill
    2. Trump will try to sell the U.S. to Mexico the first chance he gets.
    3. I see a Jill Stein bumper sticker every time I step out my door....

6. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +15,322
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Not bad for Trump considering New York is primarily a Democrat controlled state in the first place.

7. Underhill

Underhill Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,237
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    In NYS the political scene is a mess.

NYC dominates everything and very little of what they want translates to the rest of the state. In rural counties, the majority vote republican. So in local races, if you want any say, you have to be registered republican because all decisions are made in the primary. In national elections, the opposite is true. NYC dominates so the state virtually always goes democrat. And this isn't even getting into the thousands of delusional green party people who are completely left out of the primary process.

I would be surprised if there weren't tens of thousands of people who would have voted for Bernie but couldn't in NY.

8. idav

idav Being
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,302
    Religion:
    Pantheist
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Emperor of Mankind

The Emperor of Mankind Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic

Ratings:
    +6,477
    Religion:
    Greek Paganism
    I'm not sure what you mean by "voter rules" here? Could you possibly clarify?

Yes they are because it is the number of delegates which determines who gets the Democratic Party's nomination. The delegates are supposed to vote with their caucus because to do otherwise flies in the face of democracy and renders caucus votes utterly pointless. The Iowan delegates cheated Bernie and gave Hillary a win she didn't deserve because Bernie got a majority of the Democrat caucus in that state.

That would be like members of the House of Lords having an overriding vote over constituency candidates here - how would that be fair? Your constituency votes for, say, the Labour candidate but the Lord for [insert area you live] decided 'nope, I want a Tory candidate there' and a single vote overwrites millions. That's not democracy.

Delegates and super-delegates voting against the caucus electorate are telling these people these people they have no voice whatsoever.

Clinton still doesn't poll as well against Republican candidates as Sanders. Bernie has a better chance of beating the Republicans, if not a chance of winning the Democrat nomination.