• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump’s Fascist Dog Whistle

It is now clear beyond any reasonable doubt that donald trump is a fascist. In the midst of a controversy over whether to disavow the endorsement of former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke (who, in a blatant lie he denies knowing anything about) and the support of his followers (or for that matter any white supremacist group until he “knows more about them”), trump tweats a quotation widely attributed to and associated with Benito Mussolini (a Hitler quote would be too direct?). This is nothing more than a “dog whistle,” a coded message letting people know that however he might eventually appear to walk back his comments for the sake of the national media, his heart is really with Hitler. Scarier still, as of 2.28, 10,000 people had already liked it.

This is not the first time trump has associated himself with the Nazis. Not long ago he retreated @WhiteGenocide whose Neo-Nazi Home Page reads: ("Get the F---k Out Of My Country")
upload_2016-3-1_2-11-28.png

In addition, trump was endorsed by the Neo Nazi rag the daily stormer (…Which, as far as I know he has also yet to “disavow”)
:
upload_2016-3-1_2-12-28.png

Many political words are similarly abused. The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable." - George Orwell, Politics and the English language (1946)

It usage over the past 70 years hasn't improved either. I think it should be retired unless talking about actual fascism of the kind relating to the ideology of Mussolini and other similar movements. Fascist shouldn't be used as a synonym for 'jingoistic bigot'.

I think Trump is a massive **** with no redeeming qualities, but I don't think it is either useful or accurate to describe him as a fascist.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Many political words are similarly abused. The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable." - George Orwell, Politics and the English language (1946)

It usage over the past 70 years hasn't improved either. I think it should be retired unless talking about actual fascism of the kind relating to the ideology of Mussolini and other similar movements. Fascist shouldn't be used as a synonym for 'jingoistic bigot'.

I think Trump is a massive **** with no redeeming qualities, but I don't think it is either useful or accurate to describe him as a fascist.
His campaign and its tactics have some neo-fascist tendencies, but he's not a fascist, no.

Sultan Of Swing

It is now clear beyond any reasonable doubt that donald trump is a fascist. In the midst of a controversy over whether to disavow the endorsement of former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke (who, in a blatant lie he denies knowing anything about) and the support of his followers (or for that matter any white supremacist group until he “knows more about them”), trump tweats a quotation widely attributed to and associated with Benito Mussolini (a Hitler quote would be too direct?). This is nothing more than a “dog whistle,” a coded message letting people know that however he might eventually appear to walk back his comments for the sake of the national media, his heart is really with Hitler. Scarier still, as of 2.28, 10,000 people had already liked it.

This is not the first time trump has associated himself with the Nazis. Not long ago he retreated @WhiteGenocide whose Neo-Nazi Home Page reads: ("Get the F---k Out Of My Country")
View attachment 12320

In addition, trump was endorsed by the Neo Nazi rag the daily stormer (…Which, as far as I know he has also yet to “disavow”)
:
View attachment 12321
He re-tweeted a parody account of Mussolini, they have a computer that sends him hundreds of tweets containing Mussolini quotes everyday automatically, hoping he finally re-tweets one, and it wasn't a bigoted or fascist quote, it's just that it came from Mussolini. And they finally got what they wanted, they successfully trolled him. Well done. That doesn't make him a fascist, he just saw the tweet and re-tweeted it. He was fooled into doing so: http://gawker.com/how-we-fooled-donald-trump-into-retweeting-benito-musso-1761795039

He sees tweets he agrees with and re-tweets. You can't hold him responsible for every single account he re-tweets. Maybe there's an argument to be had that he should do more background research on the people he re-tweets, sure, but that just makes him careless/uncaring, it doesn't mean he agrees with them and is actually a fascist.

And Trump disavowed David Duke the Friday before the CNN interview, and yeah that doesn't make much sense to me but he had already disavowed and his position is still disavowal.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He re-tweeted a parody account of Mussolini, they have a computer that sends him hundreds of tweets containing Mussolini quotes everyday automatically, hoping he finally re-tweets one, and it wasn't a bigoted or fascist quote, it's just that it came from Mussolini. And they finally got what they wanted, they successfully trolled him. Well done. That doesn't make him a fascist, he just saw the tweet and re-tweeted it. He was fooled into doing so: http://gawker.com/how-we-fooled-donald-trump-into-retweeting-benito-musso-1761795039

He sees tweets he agrees with and re-tweets. You can't hold him responsible for every single account he re-tweets. Maybe there's an argument to be had that he should do more background research on the people he re-tweets, sure, but that just makes him careless/uncaring, it doesn't mean he agrees with them and is actually a fascist.

And Trump disavowed David Duke the Friday before the CNN interview, and yeah that doesn't make much sense to me but he had already disavowed and his position is still disavowal.
There's an interesting anti-Trump echo chamber developing, wherein every negative stereotype of old white guys is amplified.
He's a Nazi, white supremacist, fascist, running dog of capitalism, liar, war monger, prepper, misogynist, rapist, lunatic, anti-gay, etc, etc.
The amplification is effected by altering quotes, replacing quotes with inferences, guilt by association, making every personal peccadillo writ large, & simple name calling.
But why?
It appears to me that with their preferred party offering an uninspiring old school war mongering crony capitalist, they've no candidate to favor.
All they have is one to oppose, and he becomes their singular focus.
The danger is that they'll vote in someone without really looking at her...someone with a checkered past which is at odds with their own values.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I agree with you that Trump is a Fascist. Furthermore, he would not need to quote Hitler for that to be terrifying. Mussolini will do. He did more than enough bad things as the Duce, and he was in power a fair deal longer than Hitler. However, I'd say that several points of Trump's platform are virtually identical to the 25 points of Hitler's Nazi party.

Americans should find it terrifying and repugnant that a man running for president wants to make any minority wear badges.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
I think it's interesting how we have much more sketchy and seedy candidates running and they're deflecting and hiding behind Trump's controversies.

Rainbow Mage

I think it's interesting how we have much more sketchy and seedy candidates running and they're deflecting and hiding behind Trump's controversies.

Which candidates do you have in mind specifically, if I may ask?

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
Which candidates do you have in mind specifically, if I may ask?
Well, the most obvious one is Hilary. It seems as if she's a pathological liar and has had too many screw ups in her career to ever be trusted as a president for me.

Rainbow Mage

Well, the most obvious one is Hilary. It seems as if she's a pathological liar and has had too many screw ups in her career to ever be trusted as a president for me.

I guess I can see what you mean, from a certain outlook. Do you think Trump is a better option to her?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Trump is many things but I highly doubt that he is a fascist. Hardly my first choice for POTUS, Trump is certainly on track to becoming the Republican nominee, and that will become much clearer by the end of today which is SuperTuesday. That said, it's not like Trump has any control over those who would seek the publicity of publicly endorsing his bid. Does he really have to address each and every endorsement? Seriously? Why are we not talking about Hillary's weepy epitaph for Robert C.Byrd, her "mentor", who had very strong ties to the KKK? It's not like she couldn't have known.

Sultan Of Swing

What rubbish. Of course you can, and you should.
When you re-tweet something, you share a comment you agree with. To not go into the account that made the comment and do research on what the views of the accountholder might be careless but do you think it's a valid conclusion to then say, because they shared a benign comment made by an account with fascist views, the person sharing the comment therefore has fascist views?

Sultan Of Swing

I agree with you that Trump is a Fascist. Furthermore, he would not need to quote Hitler for that to be terrifying. Mussolini will do. He did more than enough bad things as the Duce, and he was in power a fair deal longer than Hitler. However, I'd say that several points of Trump's platform are virtually identical to the 25 points of Hitler's Nazi party.
Like what?

Americans should find it terrifying and repugnant that a man running for president wants to make any minority wear badges.
When did Trump say Muslims should wear badges?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
When you re-tweet something, you share a comment you agree with. To not go into the account that made the comment and do research on what the views of the accountholder might be careless but do you think it's a valid conclusion to then say, because they shared a benign comment made by an account with fascist views, the person sharing the comment therefore has fascist views?
I love this insipid right-wing apologetics. Still, for the record ...

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump's penchant for retweets once again raised eyebrows, after he recirculated a tweet on Friday from a user with the handle "WhiteGenocideTM."

The profile -- with about 2,300 followers -- used the name "Donald Trumpovitz," linked to a website containing a pro-Adolf Hitler documentary, featured a background photo with red lettering saying "Get the F--- Out of My Country" and had a location of "Jewmerica." The account also includes a photo of George Lincoln Rockwell, founder of the American Nazi Party.
[source
... just how much "research" do you think it takes?

Sultan Of Swing

I love this insipid right-wing apologetics. Still, for the record ...

... just how much "research" do you think it takes?
Maybe just clicking on their account is sufficient, but if he didn't then that's careless sure, how does this make him a fascist?

This isn't 'right-wing apologetics', I don't believe Trump is a conservative, but he is demonised as some fascist Hitler reincarnated and I challenge these strange conclusions people derive from less than convincing facts.

Rainbow Mage

Like what?

When did Trump say Muslims should wear badges?

Have you looked at the 25 points of Hitler's Nazi party? Here's a link:
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/25points.htm

Now if you look at that list- the sentiment that many Trump supporters have that Muslims can never be true Americans rings very similar to what Hitler said about Jews. Trump seems to have an almost identical view on immigration, not to mention the media. When Trump said the family members of terrorists need to be killed, how is that different than Hitler calling for the deaths of perceived traitors to the Reich?

Here is the link for that:http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/02/politics/donald-trump-terrorists-families/

Now for Trump's stance on a registry for Muslims and badges: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/opinions/obeidallah-trump-anti-muslim/

Sultan Of Swing

Have you looked at the 25 points of Hitler's Nazi party? Here's a link:
http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/25points.htm

Now if you look at that list- the sentiment that many Trump supporters have that Muslims can never be true Americans rings very similar to what Hitler said about Jews.
Oh... so now it's Trump's supporters, not Trump? Which supporters? How many of them? Why does this represent Trump's view?

Trump seems to have an almost identical view on immigration,
Those 25 points wanted to stop all immigration of non-Germans, and deportation of non-Germans. Where does Trump advocate for something similar? He is fine with legal immigration, people who have come through a process. His Muslim ban could be objected to but it isn't similar to a ban on all non-Americans now is it, and neither is deportation of Muslims already in the USA supported.
not to mention the media. When Trump said the family members of terrorists need to be killed, how is that different than Hitler calling for the deaths of perceived traitors to the Reich?

Here is the link for that: http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/riseofhitler/25points.htm
Going after family members of terrorists is extreme, agreed. I doubt it would happen, sounds more like rhetoric, but I still don't see how this can be compared to Hitler.

Now for Trump's stance on a registry for Muslims and badges: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/opinions/obeidallah-trump-anti-muslim/
Where does it say badges? He said he 'rules nothing out' in terms of special ID cards or a database. Both of which I disagree with, but these aren't badges.

Rainbow Mage

Oh... so now it's Trump's supporters, not Trump? Which supporters? How many of them? Why does this represent Trump's view?

How can I know how many of his supporters hold to this view? However, they're not jumping behind Trump for no reason. Consider the things he's said that would cause them to line up behind him. Consider the violence and open prejudice that's gone on at his rallies, and he says nothing to condemn it. At times, he himself is the agitator, like his having African American students removed before he took the stage at his latest.

Those 25 points wanted to stop all immigration of non-Germans, and deportation of non-Germans. Where does Trump advocate for something similar? He is fine with legal immigration, people who have come through a process. His Muslim ban could be objected to but it isn't similar to a ban on all non-Americans now is it, and neither is deportation of Muslims already in the USA supported.

Have you looked at Trump's platform on immigration- particularly of Muslims from 'Islamic' countries? If he's fine with legal immigration, why is he protesting our immigration process at all? Anyone who comes here through the process is here legally. He doesn't seem to think that is enough.

And how is his idea of a Muslim ban not similar when he's trying to build a more concrete idea of what an American is? He's clearly trying to build up a kind of nationalism that runs absolutely contrary to our country's historical diversity. First its Muslims aren't American- then who next?

Going after family members of terrorists is extreme, agreed. I doubt it would happen, sounds more like rhetoric, but I still don't see how this can be compared to Hitler.

Its comparable to Hitler, because Hitler called for the deaths of any 'non-German' perceived as traitors to the state.

Where does it say badges? He said he 'rules nothing out' in terms of special ID cards or a database. Both of which I disagree with, but these aren't badges.

The difference between 'ID cards' and 'badges' in this case is semantic at best.