• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Will vs Impulse in Relation to Magick

VioletVortex

I wanted to make a thread about a topic that I have been pondering quite a bit lately; I think it is a relatively important topic.

Magick is a spiritual means of manipulating the world in accordance with one's will. There seem to be many people (especially non-Satanists) who think that Magick is like a wishing well- one may regret their wishes after they come true.

This is not the case. Impulses are temporary and very strong, however, they are nowhere near as spiritually powerful and deeply rooted as one's true will, their inner intentions. When one understands their inner desires and will, and separates them from their impulses, they will be able to project this using Magick.

If one does not truly desire the prescribed outcome of their ritual, it will not be fulfilled, saving them from the regret that would ensue if their impulse were to be fulfilled.

Not only am I trying to dispel that myth; I am also trying to explain why many rituals, including my own, have failed. Impulses should be fulfilled in a responsible physical manner that won't last forever.

I used to worry about wishing something regrettable into existence until I thought about it and realized this.

VioletVortex

What if some ones true will is hedonistic ?

Everyone's true will is ultimately hedonistic. It's about their personal, individual satisfaction.

Impulses are temporary hedonistic desires. The problem doesn't come from hedonism; it comes from the fact that the desire is only temporary.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Everyone's true will is ultimately hedonistic. It's about their personal, individual satisfaction.

Impulses are temporary hedonistic desires. The problem doesn't come from hedonism; it comes from the fact that the desire is only temporary.
Life is only temporary too.

VioletVortex

Life is only temporary too.

Personally, I believe in some form of afterlife. I am not sure as to what that is, but I do believe that life is permanent in some form or another.

If life were temporary, it would still be a long term ordeal that one would not want to **** up by making a stupid, impulse driven decision.

Kapalika

Premium Member
I think this is actually pretty insightful and close to a realization I had at one time a well many years ago.

I thought of it in similar terms, that it's 'hedonism' in that it's what brings them fulfillment and self realization. But I think that hedonism should maybe be distinguished as finding that through sensory pleasure, whereas most people tend to see their will or 'true will' or what have you as being more abstract and 'higher' than that.

Ahanit

Magick is a spiritual means of manipulating the world in accordance with one's will.
Not only am I trying to dispel that myth; I am also trying to explain why many rituals, including my own, have failed.

because you where not really at the point to understand your true will and/or you have not understand that the first change must be within YOU to change the environment...

The first step must be the studying of the self, when you understand, why are you at the point where you are, and how this correlate to your true will, you will know what you have to change within to create real change outside and for the last steps you not only need change, but transformation.

VioletVortex

because you where not really at the point to understand your true will and/or you have not understand that the first change must be within YOU to change the environment...

The first step must be the studying of the self, when you understand, why are you at the point where you are, and how this correlate to your true will, you will know what you have to change within to create real change outside and for the last steps you not only need change, but transformation.

Exactly. External change is secondary to internal change in a ritual. A short lived impulse is only present on one's ever changing surface, and it isn't truly rooted deeply in their psyche. It's not always about internal change; sometimes, the state within the mind is as desired by the magician, and they simply want to project that into their environment.

VioletVortex

True will leads to your ultimate goal; impulses lead to the fulfillment of small desires, which may or may not conflict with your true will.

Ahanit

External change is secondary to internal change in a ritual
To think that only one ritual is needed for real change is another failure...
real change and/ or transformation needs time, because every step must be controlled,, It is hard work, it is a cicle of rituals if you wish this word for what you are doing.

After understanding how it works it takes me 2 more years to realise change and transformation to the stadium I reached now..

That is a problem of most people in these days: they have no patience. In my life I studied many paths of magik... those with best results are those who take their time.
Yes you can short Abramelin into Liber Samekh, but only a really good trained person can get the same brilliant result out of it. And hand on the heart, Most magicians of today have not the patient to invest the six weeks, how could you ask for a ritual cycle that needs years...

Magic is no weekend Party If you think a short ritual changes anything from one second to the other, you will never succeed

VioletVortex

To think that only one ritual is needed for real change is another failure...
real change and/ or transformation needs time, because every step must be controlled,, It is hard work, it is a cicle of rituals if you wish this word for what you are doing.

After understanding how it works it takes me 2 more years to realise change and transformation to the stadium I reached now..

That is a problem of most people in these days: they have no patience. In my life I studied many paths of magik... those with best results are those who take their time.
Yes you can short Abramelin into Liber Samekh, but only a really good trained person can get the same brilliant result out of it. And hand on the heart, Most magicians of today have not the patient to invest the six weeks, how could you ask for a ritual cycle that needs years...

Magic is no weekend Party If you think a short ritual changes anything from one second to the other, you will never succeed

I agree. I think there are some instances where a single ritual will suffice, but there are others where a series of rituals are needed.

VioletVortex

I can give you the worst magic trick of them all

Keep in mind that this is a DIR. I'm personally fine with you talking here so long as you are speaking from within the topic, and I'm sure most here would agree, however, it's still technically against the rules, and you are not posting from within the topic.

Liu

I'm basically a novice regarding magick, but one thing you mentioned in this thread made me wonder something.

Namely, you say that rituals sometimes need to be performed repeatedly over a longer period of time.
But I also read rather often that one should best forget after performing a ritual about the purpose one wanted to achieve with it, lest one's doubts etc. not interfere with the realization of one's goals.
It seems rather problematic to combine those two recommendations. Or what would you say?

Ahanit

@Liu
You are talking about Law of Attraction, there you often have to forget and also within Sigil Magic you find works in which you have to forget the Goal...
We are not talking about this Teen witch Games but from real change within which cause permanent result inside and outside.

Real change and Transformation of the own personality, behavior, Talents.... That is another kategorie of Magic.

Liu

@Ahanit: Yes, I think I read it mostly in texts that also mentioned Sigil Magic and the like.

But it was said to be used also for the kind of goals you list there (and not only for attracting money, getting a partner or mundane things like that), so it's not a different category in goal.
Maybe a different one in method, though, which is more focused on letting the sub-conscious do the work instead of doing the changes consciously as in the approach you seem to be talking about.

Could I ask you to outline how a typical ritual of your variety could look like? Or point me to literature that describes it?