• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True or false

Is your worse enemy your best teacher?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • no

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Dont know

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

74x12

Your worsed enemy is your best teacher (morally)?
It's wisdom because she can be found anywhere. Wisdom is a good teacher. Seek for her and she'll teach you even in your enemies. Wisdom is found by humility and humility is not ashamed to learn even from your enemies. However, I think God is your best teacher because He made us all. So no one taught us better.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I can't vote because the choices are absolute. I would vote for "your worst enemy may sometimes be your best teacher for a time but at other times your best teacher is one who shows you the way positively." - a highly qualified response.

JJ50

It's wisdom because she can be found anywhere. Wisdom is a good teacher. Seek for her and she'll teach you even in your enemies. Wisdom is found by humility and humility is not ashamed to learn even from your enemies. However, I think God is your best teacher because He made us all. So no one taught us better.

The god of the Bible would be my worse enemy if it existed, I would not take on board anything it is quoted as its 'word'!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Motivation to learn is often connected to passion and drive. Whether the passion you feel towards something is favorable or unfavorable, it fuels opportunities for learning. Indifference is the enemy of learning.

74x12

The god of the Bible would be my worse enemy if it existed, I would not take on board anything it is quoted as its 'word'!
Heard it all before ... not really what this thread is about. Willing to discuss it with you some other time perhaps.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is a truth that those we hate the most, are simply projections of our own shadow self. So yes, you can learn a lot about yourself from looking at those you choose to hate. You're seeing an image of yourself you hold in your mind. You're hating yourself. And if you can learn to love that shadow self, then you can love others as yourself. Not before that however, since you don't yet fully love yourself.

Earthling

David Henson

I don't know what you mean by morally. I don't understand what that has to do with any practical application of teaching, but I voted no because your worst enemy is yourself. And yourself isn't your best teacher. Morality has nothing to do with it. Morality is a societal issue.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't know what you mean by morally. I don't understand what that has to do with any practical application of teaching, but I voted no because your worst enemy is yourself. And yourself isn't your best teacher. Morality has nothing to do with it. Morality is a societal issue.
In buddhism mora is a key factor to access the inner wisdom, with lack of higher/gd moral we can not access a higher wisdom

Negative examples can often be more useful than positive. An example of what you don't want to be can be more beneficial that imitating what you want to be.

Audie

Veteran Member

"worst" :D

I take that kind of saying as being like
"it is never too late".

A truism that is not true.

It could happen that "worst enemy is best teacher"
but I think that would be unusual, and
more often than not, rather unfortunate.

You are too binary in your thinking, it seems to me,
and a bit thin on the shades of grey.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I would say, rather, that the worst example of humanity that you know is your best teacher. That person that you definitely do not want to be, be it a parent, someone in a position of political authority, or that guy who "accidentally" stumbles into women outside the grocery store.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"worst" :D

I take that kind of saying as being like
"it is never too late".

A truism that is not true.

It could happen that "worst enemy is best teacher"
but I think that would be unusual, and
more often than not, rather unfortunate.

You are too binary in your thinking, it seems to me,
and a bit thin on the shades of grey.

For a spiritual/religious person the statement means that those who are against your view and gives the hardest critique give you a chance to see how good moral, virtue and patient one has, so one does not get angry or frustrated on eole who constantly make you seem like a fool. To stay calm no matter how things go. But the "enemy" give you challenge on challenge to see if your teaching has been good for you.

Audie

Veteran Member
For a spiritual/religious person the statement means that those who are against your view and gives the hardest critique give you a chance to see how good moral, virtue and patient one has, so one does not get angry or frustrated on eole who constantly make you seem like a fool. To stay calm no matter how things go. But the "enemy" give you challenge on challenge to see if your teaching has been good for you.

I understand the freakin' idea!!
It is an old old idea, and not hard to get.

And it is not something exclusive to so called
"religious / spiritual" people.

Did you bother to try to understand what I said?

Audie

Veteran Member
I would say, rather, that the worst example of humanity that you know is your best teacher. That person that you definitely do not want to be, be it a parent, someone in a position of political authority, or that guy who "accidentally" stumbles into women outside the grocery store.

I suppose that can happen, but I'd sure not generalize.

And not to make everything about me, but, the person
who is the worst example of a human being that I ever
encountered did me immense harm, and while I did
learn some things, it was not what you or I want
to learn, and the cost / benefit ratio was definitely out of
whack, to say the least.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I understand the freakin' idea!!
It is an old old idea, and not hard to get.

And it is not something exclusive to so called
"religious / spiritual" people.

Did you bother to try to understand what I said?

Yes i did.
Even if it is old and even it was teached in the religions from 2000-2500 years ago it still work and still is valid today.