• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Love

Kowalski

cardero said:
True Love is Unconditional. No artificial hopes or expectations added.
I think you'll find there is no such thing in reality as uncondtional love, every human who thinks they are in love has their own agenda. Maybe uncondtiona love could exist in utopia, but not on this Earth.

Cheers

K

Draka

Wonder Woman
What about unconditional love for children? I mean, that is possible. I realize that some people are so self centered that they think that if their children don't do what they want for them then they have the right to cut them off or disown them, but that just shows who shouldn't have children. Anyone who truly loves their children and wants only for them to be happy has unconditional love for them. We may not always agree with what someone we love does, but that doesn't mean we stop loving them.

Kowalski

Draka said:
What about unconditional love for children? I mean, that is possible. I realize that some people are so self centered that they think that if their children don't do what they want for them then they have the right to cut them off or disown them, but that just shows who shouldn't have children. Anyone who truly loves their children and wants only for them to be happy has unconditional love for them. We may not always agree with what someone we love does, but that doesn't mean we stop loving them.
My love for children, like yours is all consuming, nonetheless, uncondtional love isn't possible, for it surely means allowing the object of such to do as they please without regard for you. To love your children is not the same as love for an adult, and there it gets messy.

Cheers
K

martha

I believe that true love is something one finds when one connects completely with another. You find that you enjoy the company of another, you think of that person fondly and often. You have different opinions, but respect the feelings of the other. You allow each other to grow and seek without criticism or jelousy. You become like a hand and a glove, sometimes the glove gets old, wet and stiff, but with the warmth of love, the glove softens and fits perfectly.

As for unconditional love, I believe it can exist although one might not understand my explanation. I was a victim of physical abuse by a man that I fell in love with long ago. I wanted him to understand what unconditional love was, since he was a victim of a loveless childhood. He was a middle child who was put up for adoption at a young age. All of his life he wondered, " Why me, why not the older child, or the younger?" I learned a hard lesson by my love. I learned that one can love unconditionally, but not accept being a doormat or a victim. Once I learned that lesson I distanced myself from that individual, for there was nothing else I could give him. I couldn't take away his pain, I couldn't take away the hurtful memories. To this day I pray for him, for I understand the pain that is embedded in his mind and soul. Compassion is the key to unconditional love. One must learn to give as much as one can and if your kindness doesn't make a difference, then you must turn and let it go. This is the most difficult part of unconditional love.

Unconditional love doesn't mean that you must subject yourself to the whims of someone who will hurt you. It does mean that you come to understand the circumstances behind that persons actions, do what you can and if that doesn't help, then you can still have love and compassion for the person, but you must release yourself from that circumstance and sense of obligation and move on. If I were to see him again, I would greet him sweetly, but not fall for him again. This is his life's journey and it is up to him to make changes in his way of thinking and let go of the past. If he can't do that, then he is doomed to repeat the same actions that will only push love away. He will never find peace or love if he doesn't let the saddness of his childhood go. He must forgive his mother for giving him up. He must forgive himself for substituting other women for his mother and enacting his anger upon them, for I was not the first to be on the receiving end of his pain. He must find his own feeling for unconditional love. He must forgive, that is unconditional love in my view.

turk179

I smell something....
martha said:
I believe that true love is something one finds when one connects completely with another. You find that you enjoy the company of another, you think of that person fondly and often. You have different opinions, but respect the feelings of the other. You allow each other to grow and seek without criticism or jelousy. You become like a hand and a glove, sometimes the glove gets old, wet and stiff, but with the warmth of love, the glove softens and fits perfectly.
As far as true love goes, I agree with you martha. I couldn't have said it better.

Draka said:
As far as unconditional love, I agree with you Draka. Therefore this may very well be the truest form of love there is. Like you I feel like there are different feelings and experiences with different people but I also feel that these are just different forms of the same truths.
BTW I love you too dear. :D :eek:

Cynic

Kowalski said:
I think you'll find there is no such thing in reality as uncondtional love, every human who thinks they are in love has their own agenda. Maybe uncondtiona love could exist in utopia, but not on this Earth.

Cheers

K
I Agree. I would have to say there is no such thing. I believe that love is always based on conditions and is circumstantial.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
michel said:
True Love is the emotion you share with someone until the two of you fall out (If that happens), and then true love becomes the way you feel about your next partner.;)
In my experience and observation, what you're talking about is true lust, not true love.

Cynic

I find that unconditional love is erranious, because it disregards one's concern for their own well being, which is a necessity in order to persue happiness and health. Unconditionally loving someone, despite them abusing you, can be irrational in that sense. It is important to love and be concerned with the well being of others, but at the same time it is just as important to love and be concerned with oneself to a certain degree. In that sense, love needs to be conditional in order to protect one's own happiness and well being. Otherwise it's unhealthy, at least in my opinion.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Kowalski said:

Cheers

K
This is accurate. I am aware of only one entity who practices true love and they are not of this earth.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Cynic said:
I find that unconditional love is erranious, because it disregards one's concern for their own well being, which is a necessity in order to persue happiness and health. Unconditionally loving someone, despite them abusing you, can be irrational in that sense. It is important to love and be concerned with the well being of others, but at the same time it is just as important to love and be concerned with oneself to a certain degree. In that sense, love needs to be conditional in order to protect one's own happiness and well being. Otherwise it's unhealthy, at least in my opinion.
Loving unconditionally means that you should respect someone's stage of love it has nothing to do with accepting. No one has to accept any kind of love that they do not desire in their life or that hinders their idea of happiness and health.