• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True Love

turk179

I smell something....
My apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything recent sooooo....

I was just wondering what your personal definitions of true love are? That is if you even believe in true love in the first place.

Cynic

turk179 said:
My apologies if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything recent sooooo....

I was just wondering what your personal definitions of true love are? That is if you even believe in true love in the first place.
Well, from a religious perspective I would say that true love is altruistic kindness, empathy, and compassion. Untrue love would be an emotional need that becomes predicated upon narcissistic self interest.

From a different perspective, I would say there is no such thing. What is "true" love and what is not is subjective and varies among every individual. Love is perceptual, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral. Love is complex, but in a simplified way you could say it is an mechanism that creates cohesion.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Love is different everytime it is felt and therefore undefinable. The way you love one person varies from how you love another so trying to define "true" love becomes near impossibility. "True" love is personal and can only be defined by your internal emotions...and even then it is not expained. You feel what you feel with no definition or bounds or constraints.

When it all comes down to it I believe the strongest love, the unwavering love, the only love gauranteed (to me at least) to last throughout the rest of my years is for my children. That will not change and is the deepest love I believe that can be felt.

BTW, you know I love you dear.:flirt:

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
I have to agree with Unedited. What is true love and how does one know it is true? Beliefs? Much like the same way that believers "know" God is true?

Kowalski

turk179 said:

Love shouldn't be confused with a deep regard for a cause, such as Mother Theresa's love for the donwtrodden

Love is madness, is lust and can drive people crazy, and often does. Love is an all consuming passion,which when it wears off, leaves so many marriages in trouble.

Cheers
K

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
True Love is the emotion you share with someone until the two of you fall out (If that happens), and then true love becomes the way you feel about your next partner.;)

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
michel said:
True Love is the emotion you share with someone until the two of you fall out (If that happens), and then true love becomes the way you feel about your next partner.;)
Then it wasn't true love MICH ;)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
What's true love? The opposite of false love. ;) Heheh, only kidding. Sort of. I'd consider it loving for the right reasons. Of course, the right reasons vary from person to person.