• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True followers of Christ aren't rich.

Jonathan Bailey

Jesus has little or no compassion for the haves of this world.

Matthew 19:24 King James Version (KJV)

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Good thing I be "po" folk then!

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
It's odd when po' folk support policies and platforms that favor the rich at the expense of their own interests.

It's called being selfless.

The exact opposite of selfish. Which is acting solely in your own interest.

Of course I'm being facetious.

Not everybody is looking to game the system for their own gain though.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's called being selfless.

The exact opposite of selfish. Which is acting solely in your own interest.

Of course I'm being facetious.

Not everybody is looking to game the system for their own gain though.

Not wanting to be cheated or exploited is not "gaming the system."

danieldemol

Premium Member

‘And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.’

According to my understanding the caveat at the end means that with the aid and assistance of God it is possible for the rich to enter heaven. In other words it is difficult for the rich man to enter heaven but with God it is still possible.

Jonathan Bailey

‘And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.’

According to my understanding the caveat at the end means that with the aid and assistance of God it is possible for the rich to enter heaven. In other words it is difficult for the rich man to enter heaven but with God it is still possible.

The rich should be then very charitable during their lives and look to the Lord for moral guidance through prayer. Moderate wealth honestly earned is OK. A man doesn't need a billion dollars stuffed away in the bank for good basic material living comforts. The good old American middle-class dream is fine for Christian living provided the money and material things weren't ill-gotten. Donald Trump may have to pray to God awfully hard to avoid hell but his eternal fate is ultimately for God to judge.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

FALSE... you have to finish the quote:

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Mark 10:29-31 King James Version (KJV)
29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,

30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

And dozen more verses.

It is an uncaring rich man that Jesus doesn't have much compassion for

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The rich should be then very charitable during their lives and look to the Lord for moral guidance through prayer. Moderate wealth honestly earned is OK. A man doesn't need a billion dollars stuffed away in the bank for good basic material living comforts. The good old American middle-class dream is fine for Christian living provided the money and material things weren't ill-gotten. Donald Trump may have to pray to God awfully hard to avoid hell but his eternal fate is ultimately for God to judge.

"...moderate wealth..."? Soooo....you saying it's ok to be wealthy as long as it meets your criteria?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is an uncaring rich man that Jesus doesn't have much compassion for
This bothers me. You are saying that God only has compassion for those who are good people? I'm not familiar with this God, personally. It doesn't seem to fit in with the understanding that "God is Love". Did your mother or father only love you when you were good, but had no compassion for you when you were bad? I can't wrap my mind around an idea of love that looks like that. It doesn't sound like actual love to me. It sounds narcissistic.

sooda

Veteran Member

Consider that every person has talents that can be used to serve God. Some make money. Some make music. Some build houses.. some heal.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
a rich man approached the Gates of heaven
carrying two bags of obvious weight

and Peter said.....oh no
We don't allow baggage in here

Oh it's ok.....I know your Boss
Go ask Him

Peter went asking and returned with instruction
to look in the bags and then let him pass

Peter looked and then waved the rich man by

an angel nearby saw all of this and came asking
What's up with that...?!!!

Yeah....I don't get it either
Why would anyone bring their own paving bricks?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This bothers me. You are saying that God only has compassion for those who are good people? I'm not familiar with this God, personally. It doesn't seem to fit in with the understanding that "God is Love". Did your mother or father only love you when you were good, but had no compassion for you when you were bad? I can't wrap my mind around an idea of love that looks like that. It doesn't sound like actual love to me. It sounds narcissistic.

Thanks for the correction.

I erroneously said "God has no compassion for rich men"... whereas I should have said "God doesn't like the act of no compassion from those who are rich.

God loves even the rich people as the story delineates in the same verses about the rich man:

Mark 10:21
Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

So, yes you are right, God does indeed love you even when you do wrong. He may no like what was done wrong, but still loves His creation.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
God does indeed love you even when you do wrong.
Whew! Thanks for that! Although my wife says that if I somehow make it to heaven that it would then become hell. I wonder what she means by that? :emojconfused:

Audie

Veteran Member

What on earth makes you think "rich" people just
stash $$$ in a bank?

It is out there working!!

If anyone thinks govt should put up office
buildings, and can do it cheaper faster better is
a darn fool.

Audie

Veteran Member
a rich man approached the Gates of heaven
carrying two bags of obvious weight

and Peter said.....oh no
We don't allow baggage in here

Oh it's ok.....I know your Boss
Go ask Him

Peter went asking and returned with instruction
to look in the bags and then let him pass

Peter looked and then waved the rich man by

an angel nearby saw all of this and came asking
What's up with that...?!!!

Yeah....I don't get it either
Why would anyone bring their own paving bricks?

A guy who is a doer, not one who relies on the authorities to
build and supply everything?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What on earth makes you think "rich" people just
stash $$$ in a bank?

It is out there working!!
Trickle down economics has been proven to not work, yet people still believe it for some reason. Why is the middle class shrinking then? That money is being syphoned up, and not being "trickled down". It's remaining at the top, and the pile just gets bigger. Greed is never satisfied until it eats itself to death.

The sad thing is, the people who need that wealth trickled down to them, somehow still think it's going to happen, despite the ever-receding tide leaving their shores drier and more desolate. The poorest vote for the wealthiest, hoping one day, they will get a scrape from their tables they can feed their families with. They are being played as fools.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Trickle down economics has been proven to not work, yet people still believe it for some reason. Why is the middle class shrinking then? That money is being syphoned up, and not being "trickled down". It's remaining at the top, and the pile just gets bigger. Greed is never satisfied until it eats itself to death.

The sad thing is, the people who need that wealth trickled down to them, somehow still think it's going to happen, despite the ever-receding tide leaving their shores drier and more desolate. The poorest vote for the wealthiest, hoping one day, they will get a scrape from their tables they can feed their families with. They are being played as fools.

I am aware that the left has heavily promoted the made -up
economic "fact" that the ill named "trickle down" does
"not work". Proven!

"Trickle" does not sound good, nobody likes to be in
the "down" and get trickled on. :D. ( that is a different topic!!)

Best to just look at how things work, leave the slogans
to the ideologs.

I note that you did in no way address what I said.

Lets try again- a group of investors ( rich people)
get together, and fund a new apartment complex.

A lot of people are paid well at every step of the
process.
Others get a place to live. Who is being a fool?

How do you propse this should be done?