• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True compassion, understanding, and seperation of suffering for self and others.

Yeshe Dondrub

Kagyupa OBT-Thubetan
As a Buddhist I may see things different then others from varying faiths, and others with no faith. In my nature, compassion has always been a key factor, even since I was very young. Wisdom comes later.

I read through many posts, I looked at the history of how some others post, to gain understanding, in order to be compassionate of them, to gain understanding. Even when we do not agree, see differently, and some chose slander as a defense, I still have no less compassion for them. I often have a deeper compassion.

Part of having true compassion is through wisdom, understanding, and experience. We can say we are compassionate, but not truly be. Through communication, and listening, we can understand the experience of others better. Without the experience our self, we may not truly understand. We can apply what we do know, and have faith in the other aspects.

In Buddhism, at least the core. We test teachings, see if they work. Learn to look inward to our self. We can not benefit others, until we work with mind and ourselves. Until we can control negative emotions, we can not speak with clarity. Until we have equanimity, we can not understand the strength and confidence, nor experience what it is to love everyone like we would love our only child.

For a long period of time, many have suffered. Many of you today struggle and suffer in life. Some work hard, with intense pain, wondering how to get through another day, so you can provide for your children. Lost loved ones who have passed from this existence as you know it. Feel the anguish when you struggle financially. Feel the suffocating pressure of an abusive spouse, or partner. Look for ways out of the suffering to find peace.

In our teachings, we learn to do that, and it takes a lot of deep self exploration. Yet When others act angry, lash out, because of the struggles, uncertainty, or ego. I lean forward. I listen. I offer comfort. Compassion with every effort to understand. Then reflect as best as I can the nature of a Buddha.

Kind acts in all you reflect can lift a person's spirit, some times just a little, sometimes more then they will admit, but a smile may cross their face later. Your kind reflection may return to their minds, when someone is less kind to them. Then, make a change in the way they reflect themselves to others. I have seen it in my reflection, and in the reflections of others as well.

Some are Christians, who do not condemn, or believe god will have the imperfections of human thinking, rather will heal others. We call them wishes. You pray for it. A Christian who doesn't condemn the love of others, works to help those in need, have compassion, and become an ear, reflect "Christ", much like a Buddha reflects and enlightened mind. The focus should be wanting well being for all others.

Other faiths can do the same. Even those who are seen as destructive. You may not see the side of those who make a difference in your life. Who are nurses, doctors, charity workers, and environmental workers.

An enlightened mind has true compassion. realizes true potential, mind, and qualities. A divine mind should in the same. When the ego is removed, desire to be right becomes a wrong idea. While reflecting good qualities makes difference in yourself and for others.

I won't stop reflecting the positive aspects, no matter who may attack, ignore, lash out, cry, give up, or run away. I will make a reflection that will become part of mind, to hopefully help them have a glimpse, and be more free from suffering, and more compassionate.

When people see me, I can sit firm, straight faced, but be jovial with spontaneous joy and smile when I feel the need. When hungry, I feed them, even if I have little. When they are afraid, I reflect strength and give confidence.

It is something everyone can do regardless of faith or beliefs. Detach from clinging to impermanent things, and remove aspects of suffering. To desire less for the self, and help others more.

Regardless where you came from.

Namaste
Karmapa Chenno

Last edited: