• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trudeau Announces Appointment of Canada's First Representative to Combat Islamophobia

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
IMO, Islam and Christianity are fundamentally dishonest. Not only about claiming to have answers to life's big mysteries, but perhaps more importantly, about the true nature of their doctrines. These faiths are mysogynistic, anti-semetic, homophobic, and pedophilic, and their faithful have to temerity to whine about not being welcomed
:cool:
I like it when people call things for what it is. At least it might stimulate those who it applies to, to change those unwelcome habits, which harm others

I am not sure if they are dishonest. If they are, then they are not religious at all...just fakers

Viker

Häxan
Justin Trudeau has announced the appointment of human rights activist Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first "special representative on combating Islamophobia":

Trudeau announces Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first representative to combat Islamophobia

What are your thoughts?
Generally, I support it. I constantly see Islam being portrayed as the bogeyman when the serious monsters are home brewed and permeating our lawns. So I see Islamophobia still being used as a diversion tactic. Of course, I don't know enough about Canadian politics or what's going on up there. It's almost sad seeing that Canada is a neighbor.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
In New Zealand where I live, 51 Muslims lost their lives as they were massacred while worshipping in their Mosques. Hatred of Muslims and all things Islamic is real and the antithesis of core values many of us in the Weat hold.

Would you agree that Islam is - at its core - a set of ideas?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
It is certainly a real problem. The question here is whether this initiative will help, and to what extent if yes.

Governments have an essential role to play in promoting positive values, attitudes and behaviors. To be effective it needs the best advice to identify potential strategies. I would hope that would include education in schools from an early age about religion, culture and race. It needs to extend into the workplace.

To be effective it requires communities will to identify prejudice and work towards positive changes.

So in answer to your question, there is a great potential and opportunity for positive changes.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
"No one in our country should experience hatred because of their faith,"

Trudeau said in a statement. “I look forward to working with her as we continue building a country where everyone feels safe and respected," Trudeau said.

Everyone? Does this include the “fascists” they hate so much?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you agree that Islam is - at its core - a set of ideas?

Islam sees itself as being founded on a Revelation from Allah and provides an all encompassing worldview. So it is a set of ideas for sure but beyond that a way of life and the straight path based on the final Prophet Muhammad.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In New Zealand where I live, 51 Muslims lost their lives as they were massacred while worshipping in their Mosques. Hatred of Muslims and all things Islamic is real and the antithesis of core values many of us in the Weat hold.
Ever wonder why and how it got this way?

Things like ISIS and Al-qaeda.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone? Does this include the “fascists” they hate so much?

Canada guarantees a lot of people that some might consider "fascists" safety and respectful treatment from a legal standpoint, yes. That doesn't mean they're free to break the law by engaging in hate crimes or incitement, though, nor does it mean society at large is obligated to respect them or their beliefs. Legal rights and protections don't preclude social consequences (e.g., condemnation and criticism) for one's words and actions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Canada guarantees a lot of people that some might consider "fascists" safety and respectful treatment from a legal standpoint, yes. That doesn't mean they're free to break the law by engaging in hate crimes or incitement, though, nor does it mean society at large is obligated to respect them or their beliefs. Legal rights and protections don't preclude social consequences (e.g., condemnation and criticism) for one's words and actions.

Words?

So much for a free Canada. Already it's plummeted down to 6 on the world freedom index. Still in the top ten though last I checked.

Actions however I understand and agree.

icehorse

Premium Member
Islam sees itself as being founded on a Revelation from Allah and provides an all encompassing worldview. So it is a set of ideas for sure but beyond that a way of life and the straight path based on the final Prophet Muhammad.

So here's the thing.. I'm far from alone in believing that the set of ideas in Islam are extremely intolerant.

So Muslims ask the rest of us to tolerate your intolerant ideas. Do you think that's a good plan if you want to inspire love and not hate? You think we should just accept the horrible ideas in your book?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
So here's the thing.. I'm far from alone in believing that the set of ideas in Islam are extremely intolerant.

So Muslims ask the rest of us to tolerate your intolerant ideas. Do you think that's a good plan if you want to inspire love and not hate? You think we should just accept the horrible ideas in your book?
You don’t have to accept any idea you don’t wish to. You are free to criticize any idea regardless of where it comes from.

Tolerance in this context simply means tolerating people who just want to live their lives in peace.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

If by 'my book' you mean 'the Quran' it is said "Let there be no compulsion in religion". To me, that implies freedom of choice to believe as you choose. You are an atheist, have investigated the Quran and decided there is no God and view the Quran has being intolerant and promoting horrible ideas. That is the outcome of your sincere investigation and I have no problem accepting and understanding your perspective.

Muslims have a diverse range of view and perspectives. I would avoid stereotyping Muslims as being fanatical and extreme based on the views of a minority. In a similar manner I avoid viewing atheists as a monolithic group with negative attributes.

The Quran, as with Jewish and Christian scriptures arose from cultures and worlds very different from ours. Of course there are views that relate to the issues back then that have no place in today's world.

icehorse

Premium Member
Muslims have a diverse range of view and perspectives

But do they? Isn't it the case that to be a Muslim you have to believe that the Quran is the perfect, timeless, unalterable word of god? Is that not what unites them?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
But do they? It's certainly not what their history or their book demonstrate.
Wow, I seem to be getting them all tonight. Well ok.

You know there are almost 2 billion Muslims in the world. They are all people, they are all individuals. 2 billion of them.

If a Muslim commits a crime or harms someone in some way they should be held accountable. If a Muslim just lives their life doing no one no harm they should not be discriminated against.

Not a complicated concept.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
But do they? Isn't it the case that to be a Muslim you have to believe that the Quran is the perfect, timeless, unalterable word of god? Is that not what unites them?

No. You should do some research:

Most Muslims open to multiple ways of interpreting Islam
Roughly two-thirds of U.S. Muslims say there is more than one true way to interpret the teachings of Islam (64%), while 31% say there is only one true way to interpret the teachings of the faith. Changes in opinions on this question have been modest since the past two iterations of this survey.

6. Religious beliefs and practices

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
But do they? It's certainly not what their history or their book demonstrate.

Who are "they"? There are almost two billion Muslims in the world, so it's impossible to accurately talk about them as a monolithic group. Furthermore, how often have Muslims in Canada violated Canadian law or tried to curtail the feeedoms of others living in Canada? Has that ever become a pressing issue?