• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trudeau Announces Appointment of Canada's First Representative to Combat Islamophobia

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Justin Trudeau has announced the appointment of human rights activist Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first "special representative on combating Islamophobia":

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the appointment of a special representative on combating Islamophobia that will advise the federal government on how to better fight discrimination against the Muslim community.

Human rights activist Amira Elghawaby will be responsible for serving "as a champion, advisor, expert and representative to support and enhance" the government's efforts, the federal government said in a statement.

"No one in our country should experience hatred because of their faith," Trudeau said in a statement. "The appointment of Ms. Elghawaby as Canada's first Special Representative on Combatting Islamophobia is an important step in our fight against Islamophobia and hatred in all its forms."

"I look forward to working with her as we continue building a country where everyone feels safe and respected," Trudeau said.

Trudeau announces Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first representative to combat Islamophobia

What are your thoughts?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Activist in government.

What could ever go wrong?

Activists have been a core part of many governments throughout history. This is nothing remotely new; I'm more interested in what people think about the idea of an "anti-Islamophobia representative" and whether they think that could be effective.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
More wokery!

I have strong reservations about the readiness with which some on the left indiscriminately promote Islamic thought as benign even though some significantly popular variants thereof are far from being so. I haven't been able to find anything about Amira Elghawaby's stances on specific civil-rights issues like those concerning LGBT rights and abortion, though.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Activists have been a core part of many governments throughout history. This is nothing remotely new; I'm more interested in what people think about the idea of an "anti-Islamophobia representative" and whether they think that could be effective.
Probably as effective as Mary Poppins was in the US comparatively in deciding what misinformation is, or isn't.

What constitutes Islamophobia anyways? Who decides what is, or isn't, ergo the potential conflicts that aspect will bring to the table.

I say good luck Canada.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder if Canuckistan has representatives
for other groups enduring some problems,
eg, aboriginals, victims of Islamic terrorists,
homeless, mentally ill.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Justin Trudeau has announced the appointment of human rights activist Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first "special representative on combating Islamophobia":

Trudeau announces Amira Elghawaby as Canada's first representative to combat Islamophobia

What are your thoughts?
I think it's a good step, even though I have doubts if much will change. Indigenousphobia is more rampant here, and deeply ingrained. Not much has changed in that regard, so I don't have high expectations on this one either. Time will tell.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's a good step, even though I have doubts if much will change. Indigenousphobia is more rampant here, and deeply ingrained. Not much has changed in that regard, so I don't have high expectations on this one either. Time will tell.

Have similar initiatives been taken to address prejudice against Indigenous people?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wonder if Canuckistan has representatives
for other groups enduring some problems,
eg, aboriginals, victims of Islamic terrorists,
homeless, mentally ill.
Don't mention Inuit on that list.

Canadians don't like talking about it much.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
What are your thoughts?

IMO, Islam and Christianity are fundamentally dishonest. Not only about claiming to have answers to life's big mysteries, but perhaps more importantly, about the true nature of their doctrines. These faiths are mysogynistic, anti-semetic, and homophobic, and their faithful have to temerity to whine about not being welcomed.

When these faithful themselves reform their doctrines and lead by celebrating diversity, then they'll have an honest foot to stand on.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I find it horrific that so many people here really seem to think combating Islamophobia is a bad thing.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

What are your thoughts?

We'll see what happens.
There is a good way to go about it and a bad way.

Encouraging Muslims to go about supporting the country and communities they live in is the good way.
Passing laws against hate speech and criminalizing "Islamophobia" is the bad way.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
In New Zealand where I live, 51 Muslims lost their lives as they were massacred while worshipping in their Mosques. Hatred of Muslims and all things Islamic is real and the antithesis of core values many of us in the Weat hold.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In New Zealand where I live, 51 Muslims lost their lives as they were massacred while worshipping in their Mosques. Hatred of Muslims and all things Islamic is real and the antithesis of core values many of us in the Weat hold.

It is certainly a real problem. The question here is whether this initiative will help, and to what extent if yes.